Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about monotubes, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about monotubes, few questions

Can someone clarify for me? If you go with the monotubes, I know you still use a little fork oil for lubrication. Do you still have to change this oil periodically? Part of the reason I'm thinking about it is it would be nice if it was a one and done kinda deal. If you still have to change oil, maybe not so worth it. Secondly, my bike is an 04 Road King Custom that came with 1 inch lowered rear shocks and the original owner had installed the Harley lowering kit in the front as well. Say what you will about lowered, but I like the way it sits and I don't have any problems with clearance. Guess I don't ride that
aggressively. So if I would go monotubes, should I go inch lowered to maintain my current stance? I did read that the stock height monotubes actually lower a bit anyway, not sure.
Next, is there a benefit to upgrading just the front without doing the rear as well? Again my reason, or part anyway is to eliminate the need for fork oil changes and I do feel like the front end wallows a bit in certain situations. Would the tubes help? Financially, doing front and rear isn't in the cards now so is it ok to do just the front? Seems like a lot of people start in the back if doing only one. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well alrighty then

Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

"fabrik8r" has been doing some testing and modding of the ricor.

read through his posts, very informative.

although- for what I do I am fine with the stock front end--- I sometime do ride aggressively- but where it counts for me is that i can get a floaty cadillac ride- which is more preferable for days of 8 or 10 hours in the saddle.

If all you want to do is avoid changing the fork oil every 50000 miles, I doubt it's worth the bother to change...esp since you seem fairly satisfied with your ride now.
The wallow you mention could be fork tuning- spring rate or oil grade, could also be the weight shift as you slow or even inflation.
if approaching a bend ( or series of) you slow/brake on the approach where the road is straight, you can settle into a balance of weight front rear and accel through the turn.
Rather than have the weight shifting as you are into the turn.

that make sense at all with the wallow you describe ?

Mike

Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If you 'search this forum' for monotubes you will find several informative threads about them. Well worth taking a little time to see other owners experience.

As for doing the rear first, our backside has very limited flexibility built in, to absorb bumps! Up front bumps tend to be taken through our arms, which are more forgiving.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the monotubes and absolutely love them. I went -2" but I also have a 21" front wheel. And yes they work just fine with the stock rear shocks. The handling difference is more than night and day, and front brake dive is all but gone. Also according to the directions, no you don't have to change fork oil anymore, once you see the way they're built, you will understand. I may still change mine in five years just for principle though, lol.