Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Paint Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Cost to Paint Saddlebags

Bought a set of hard bags for my classic and want to have them painted two tone to match the bike. Roughly what do you guys think this should cost? I was in a couple auto body's to get a quote on some work on one of our cars, the one place wasn't even interested, the other seemed like "we might do it".

Just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off, if thats all I wanted I'd go to the stealer.

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:23 PM
fame2
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

i paid like $650 to get a set of extended bags painted...but just vivid black

Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 AM
Bigdave12768
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question is loaded. No one can really answer this question properly. Only a painter who see's them can tell you how much work they need in prep to give price. Plus they time for mock up to get line straight. Don't be surprised to hear at least 750,

Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 AM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I needed bags,lids,rear fender,and fascia painted.

I got one price of $1300.

Another quote of $550.

Another quote of $650-$900.

Another quote of $400.

So the pricing is all over the place,and some guys are way too proud of their work.

BTW,I was supplying the paint,which cost me $280 out the door.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a pair of Top Shop bags with lids painted in denim black for $600.
But again like mentioned above depends on a lot of factors. Try several places and see who gives you the best price. Oh and make sure you see some of their work. Sometimes it better to pay a little extra. If you know what I mean. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carrmat
Bought a set of hard bags for my classic and want to have them painted two tone to match the bike. Roughly what do you guys think this should cost? I was in a couple auto body's to get a quote on some work on one of our cars, the one place wasn't even interested, the other seemed like "we might do it".

Just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off, if thats all I wanted I'd go to the stealer.

Thanks.
Like the one poster said.. this won't get you anywhere cuz you will get all types of quotes.

When I did it I actually talked to guys I knew local and that were local on forums where there work was done and their thoughts. One guy did it as a side gig and did good airbrush and design work and was reasonable, but backed up for months cuz he was reasonable and good. Another bike was done by a different guy I met on a forum that had an auto repair/paint shop and he was also reasonable and good, but he didn't do anything fancy. Two tone, and a pin stripe is about it.

Depending on if your paint has flake and is a staged paint, where it is layered to get the look, and just the paint price alone has to go into it. The one guy here said he paid 280 for HD paint.. so thats just paint, not labor, prep, or finish. Some guys finish differently too..ask about that. How much clear, sand and polish work they do, what kind and why they choose that. Some shops charge more because they are glass smooth and it looks like you dip your hand into the finish, while others charge less and look good, but not super show quality good.

Ask around your area, and get customer opinions. Thats the only way you will get what you want for the price you want.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Fellas.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 AM
FINALEFFORT
Intermediate

two-tone with matching pin-stripe i charge 900.00 that if they dont need anywork to get them ready to paint

Old 03-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by carrmat

Thanks.
"Stealer" is someone who misreprents what you're getting, or doesn't deliver what you ordered. Personally, I've never read of anyone being "ripped off" by purchasing MOCO painted items.

As for paint costs, you can buy Earl Shceib paint jobs or seriously good quality.

Suggestion: Ask around where you live and find out who the good painters are for what you want done. It may take a bit of legwork on your part, but that may be more useful than asking here.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

Originally Posted by serjayson
I got a pair of Top Shop bags with lids painted in denim black for $600.
But again like mentioned above depends on a lot of factors. Try several places and see who gives you the best price. Oh and make sure you see some of their work. Sometimes it better to pay a little extra. If you know what I mean. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Harleypingman
"Stealer" is someone who misreprents what you're getting, or doesn't deliver what you ordered. Personally, I've never read of anyone being "ripped off" by purchasing MOCO painted items.

As for paint costs, you can buy Earl Shceib paint jobs or seriously good quality.

Suggestion: Ask around where you live and find out who the good painters are for what you want done. It may take a bit of legwork on your part, but that may be more useful than asking here.

Good luck with your project.

Carl
This is great advice. But to add to it, Go to a after market motorcycle shop. Ask them who they recommend . You can go to the custom bike builders also. They may steer you in right Direction. Or post in forum to see custom paints in MD area.

Quick Reply: Cost to Paint Saddlebags