Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just intalled my Polk MM 651s. Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
Not sure, but I think the Hertz are a higher end (better) speaker. Focal is definitely better. I just wasn't ready to drop that much cash for sound in the wind. I got a good deal on these. The Polks are a very good sounding speaker for the money. They have good bass response.
Doesn't your first post say you also came from the ARC 6.5's and are happy with the improvement of the Polk MM651's over the ARC speakers?

Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by marvincbr
Doesn't your first post say you also came from the ARC 6.5's and are happy with the improvement of the Polk MM651's over the ARC speakers?
I started with an Arc system. I have always had the stock head unit. The amp, rings, and 6.5" speakers. I had to replace one after a month. I blew another one of the Arc speakers after about 14 months. I replaced them with the Infinitys, blew one of them after a year. I'm familiar with hertz and focal from car audio (never had the on a bike) and am aware of their quality (high) and their price. What I was saying was I wasn't ready to go that high on price for a set of 2 way speakers. I might go into the $200 range for components but I wasn't ready to lose my gauges. I think there is a point of diminishing returns with speakers on the road at 70-80 mph.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I started with an Arc system. I have always had the stock head unit. The amp, rings, and 6.5" speakers. I had to replace one after a month. I blew another one of the Arc speakers after about 14 months. I replaced them with the Infinitys, blew one of them after a year. I'm familiar with hertz and focal from car audio (never had the on a bike) and am aware of their quality (high) and their price. What I was saying was I wasn't ready to go that high on price for a set of 2 way speakers. I might go into the $200 range for components but I wasn't ready to lose my gauges. I think there is a point of diminishing returns with speakers on the road at 70-80 mph.
Any idea how they compare to the JM 7.25"? I have the JM with the ARc 125.2 BX and. Sony H/U.

I'm not sure I love the JM's....and for a hundred bucks, I might be interested in these...

Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 PM
electradad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Arc 125.2 amp for several years. Had the Arc 6.5 speakers for a while at first. Sounded ok but blew one so went with Infinity reference 6.5 for a while, sounded good. Blew one of those on my last long trip. Ran one Arc and one Infinity until I got a chance to buy what I wanted, didn't sound very good. Went with Polk MM651 2 ways this time. $100 on amazon when I ordered. I was thinking about components but decided to I wanted to keep my gauges for now.

I mounted the crossovers directly below the speakers using heavy velcro. I coated the inside of the outer fairing with dynamat. I got it all back together and took it out. Its very clear with good mid bass. Best bass I've heard from a 6.5" speaker. I'm sure components would be even better. I was careful setting the gain on the amp and turned the bass boost all the way down. Used an Adele CD (my wife's) to set it up. Its distortion free all the way up but I can't stand it more than halfway for any length of time. Its so loud I think my ears are going to bleed. I'm very happy.

I've seen posts where guys are spending $600-$800 and are unhappy. This setup will run about 450 or less if you shop carefully, for everything and sounds great. Plus they're marine speakers.

I am sure that everyone has their opinion. But I am running 2 MM651's in the fairing and 2 in the rear pods. They sound unbelievable with my pioneer deck and ARC 125 mini. I like them so much, I think a set of polks will replace the 20 year old bostons I have in my truck

Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fish eye
Any idea how they compare to the JM 7.25"? I have the JM with the ARc 125.2 BX and. Sony H/U.

I'm not sure I love the JM's....and for a hundred bucks, I might be interested in these...
I got to hear the rockers this weekend with the same amp and based on discussion with the owner very similar settings on the amp as me. They are loud but I am VERY happy with my decision. He is looking for new speakers.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Are there any issues to be aware of when using the Polk MM651 speakers (which are 2.7 ohms) with the Rockford PBR300X4 Amp which wants to see 4 ohms?
Any recommendations for other 6.5" marine grade speakers that are 4 ohms? I'd like to use a marine grade speaker since my bike tends to see rain fairly often.

brett

Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Are there any issues to be aware of when using the Polk MM651 speakers (which are 2.7 ohms) with the Rockford PBR300X4 Amp which wants to see 4 ohms?
Any recommendations for other 6.5" marine grade speakers that are 4 ohms? I'd like to use a marine grade speaker since my bike tends to see rain fairly often.

brett
I've seen a couple of threads where people are doing it. I think someone posted that Rockford said don't. I know this isn't much help. I think there are lots of marine speakers out there just google it.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
barkingspud
Cruiser

Originally Posted by electradad
I am sure that everyone has their opinion. But I am running 2 MM651's in the fairing and 2 in the rear pods. They sound unbelievable with my pioneer deck and ARC 125 mini. I like them so much, I think a set of polks will replace the 20 year old bostons I have in my truck
How did you fit the 6.5"s in the rear pods?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you've blown two speakers so far. Remember the two things that will destroy speakers most of the time.

1) Underpowering them.

2) Trying to get more bass out of them than they can safely supply for long periods.

You probably already know this, but since you will get little or ZERO bass out of those puppies @ 70+ mph, don't get too bass happy on the tone control. You will actually be able to play them louder when you don't try make them reproduce bass at higher volume levels (bass that you won't hear anyway until you stop the bike).

Just sayin.....

Shakey

Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
2swild
Tourer

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT

brett
per Rockford Fosgate u can't use these speakers with the pbr 300x4.....u can however use the Polk mm651 UM's, which are 4 ohm speakers with the RF 4 channel amp....go to Polk's site, look under the MM series and the UM speaker....u will see it is 4 ohm rated....the 2 channel RF amp can handle any ohm rated speaker....

Quick Reply: Just intalled my Polk MM 651s. Wow!