Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Dawgtraxx
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuner question

hello all.... getting ready to add a programmer/tuner to my 2012 streetglide... it is all stock right now...with the exception of a pair of rush slip ons... 2" baffles,will be changing to the 2 1/2 " this week.not looking to go fast, but will be adding the higher flow air cleaner also.probably will not do any other engine mods anytime soon.. under warranty..just want to make sure doesnt get lean or run too hot ... I have read and read, but have decided to ask the people who put the rubber to the road.. i would like something dependable that i can set up(laptop possibly ) and forget it..what experiences (good and bad) have you had? and what do you recommend?.. thanks in advance for your input

Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer

Power Vision from Fuel Motor, enough said.......FT

Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer

Power Vision from Fuel Moto, enough said.......FT

Old 03-18-2012, 03:29 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCV great tune and runs great. Fuel moto will download the maps for you... Just plug and go. They will even program it to bypass your O2 sensors so you can leave them plugged in. Good deal.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:29 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Installing a tuner will pooch the warranty, if they know about it.

basically changing the pre-programmed mixture to "user" settings puts the onus on the "user" to ensure that the mixture doesn't burn up the motor.
Defeating the rev limiter is another basis for voiding the warranty.
It has also been stated that adding a "piggyback" tuner can introduce intermittent resistance to the sensor data, causing ECM miscalculations

Fuelmoto is a forum sponsor and lots of riders here are happy with their sales and after sale service of "mostly" dynojet stuff, power commander, power vision.

However the system which appears to get the least number of rider complaints, questions and concerns is the thundermax.

I myself use nightrider.com XIEDS ( $125) on my 09 FLHTC with high flow air cleaner and tuned Supertrapps. ( my headers have no catalytic convertor).

The xieds plug inline with the o2 sensors, and are quickly removed for that dealership visit for a recall or other service.

I have very good result, and I leave my motors at stage 1 so it should be all I need. MPG is 43 at 70 MPH cruising ( check some of the mpg complaints from tuner users)

The dealer may offer to sell you stuff "cause it won't void the warranty"- if they say that, get it in writing as the dealer service guy can't re-write the terms of the factory warranty.

If you are looking at a high flow air cleaner, the best bang for buck ( and easier install) is the Ness Big Sucker, w/ chrome backing plate for about $120 on ebay from easternpc

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-18-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

My wife and I both have a thunder max on our rides. So far we are happy with them. Both bikes run great.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Dawgtraxx
Road Captain

I was looking at that..I really don't want to have the display unit mounted in sight..would like to be able to hide it

Old 03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathertime500
Power Vision from Fuel Moto, enough said.......FT
If it's "enough said", why did you say it twice?

Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Installing a tuner will pooch the warranty, if they know about it. I myself use nightrider.com XIEDS ( $125) on my 09 FLHTC with high flow air cleaner and tuned Supertrapps. ( my headers have no catalytic convertor). The xieds plug inline with the o2 sensors, and are quickly removed for that dealership visit for a recall or other service. I have very good result, and I leave my motors at stage 1 so it should be all I need. MPG is 43 at 70 MPH cruising ( check some of the mpg complaints from tuner users)
Mike
Agreed. Tuners on a stock or stage 1 bike are a waste of money IMHO. If you aren't gonna do cams and/or headwork, just run XIED's. I ran them until I did cams. Work great!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:52 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

running the screamin eagle race tuner on my SG

Quick Reply: Tuner question