Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air deflector

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:40 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the adjustable fairing deflectors before i added the that deflector under the headlight & i noticed i little difference in the amount of wind coming up from in front of the tank. now i have the vented lowers on but havent riddin with them yet.
iv read that the combination of the adjustable fairing deflectors, the deflector under the head light & the lowers is great for cutting some wind.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Coming from an '02 Ultra to '12, I'm noticing considerably more wind coming up over the tank. So far the only way I've been able to cut down on the wind is to open the lowers. Hoping they come out with something to cure the problem soon.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I run one along with fairing lowers, along with the stock adjustable fairing wind deflectors, and along with JES custom accents fork deflectors.
Dawg, I have the fork mounted deflectors on my SG and was thinking about adding fairing lowers. The deflectors don't hit the lowers at a full turn? Just looks like they would .......

Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The fork mounted deflectors actually work very well. Particularly when in combo with the soft lowers.
I've removed that center baffle several times and can't tell any difference on or off.
Tried the on and off thing on both my '06 SG and '95 EGC, same for both bikes - no difference.
Mine are off for good now, on the shelf deflecting the same amount of air as they did when they were on my bikes.

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 03-19-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:25 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cage Dodger
The chrome air deflector is an upgrade.

The stock air deflector is flat black.

I guess if you wanted it glossy, you could paint it.

Cage 8)
I have the original on my bike. It's gloss black, just like the frame. also the chrome deflector comes with screws, the original black does not.

Last edited by NoBoldRider; 03-19-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 AM
scottmotorsports
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put one on my Road King Classic. It did help a lot with buffeting when the shield is on. After seeing mine a buddy put one on his road glide and loves it. Our only question is does it help, hurt or make no change to cooling of the engine?

Old 03-19-2012, 05:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
Dawg, I have the fork mounted deflectors on my SG and was thinking about adding fairing lowers. The deflectors don't hit the lowers at a full turn? Just looks like they would .......
Not the ones from JEScustom accents. They don't hit at all:

Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scottmotorsports
I just put one on my Road King Classic. It did help a lot with buffeting when the shield is on. After seeing mine a buddy put one on his road glide and loves it. Our only question is does it help, hurt or make no change to cooling of the engine?
love mine and seems like it would help cool the engine , it is blowing more air at it , might not be a bunch but every little bit helps , do the fork mounted deflectors hurt the engine cooling

Last edited by 1st 96 ultra; 03-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:55 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
love mine and seems like it would help cool the engine , it is blowing more air at it , might not be a bunch but every little bit helps

Actually, it's not. It's forcing air down and under the bike. This summer, I'm taking off the fork deflectors, but leaving the baffle and see what happens then. I've taken the baffle off and left the fork deflectors, and didn't notice that big of a difference in buffeting. If I can leave the baffle on, and remove the fork deflectors, hopefully the buffeting will remain the same, but get more air to the motor for cooling.

To the poster that wished HD would use a wind tunnel and fix the issue, the only way to do that is completely block air, similar to how the Gold Wind does. But then we don't have radiators to prevent them from overheating like the Wing does.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put one on my Street Glide and took it off after a few rides.
I believe in my case, the helmet buffeting got worse.
I'm hanging on to it for now as I have some options I can go through to experiment a bit.

I have three different windshields and hope to get a set of fixed deflectors for the fairing. I may end up with lowers - IDK. Hell, it could be my modular helmet catching all the air.

Quick Reply: air deflector