Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get the "cushy" Ohlins ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I made a spreadsheet for when I was setting my Ohlins up. Still refer back to it.

Headings were -

OHLINS SET UP
Preload mm / Rebound clicks / Ride Quality (1 worst-10 best) / Sharp bumps harshness (1 hard - 10 soft) /Cornering (1 bad- 10 awesome)

This allowed me to see trends as I messed with adjustments. PM if you want a copy. I can't get it to attach to the posting.

BTW turned out Howard's original settings were pretty much correct, within 1 turn of the damping adjuster.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 PM
teemo supremo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohlins

Howard has shipped #6's for my Ultra Limited; should be arriving this Saturday. Look forward to telling everyone how great they are. In the mean time, I've also got a 30 inseam. Never have an issue as the first mod done was dumping that stock HD seat and had a custom Corbin saddle made. This lowered me by over an inch, maybe more.

While I do love my Custom Corbin's, would suggest any custom seat where they can lower your center as well as shaving the front part of the seat where your quad rests. This gives much more room to sit flat footed.

Hope this helps and I look forward to reviewing my new suspensions. Oh, Motorcycle Metal is sending shocks for my ULTRA and Fat Bob.

Last edited by teemo supremo; 05-17-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 05-17-2012, 12:39 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teemo supremo
Howard has shipped #6's for my Ultra Limited; should be arriving this Saturday. Look forward to telling everyone how great they are. In the mean time, I've also got a 30 inseam. Never have an issue as the first mod done was dumping that stock HD seat and had a custom Corbin saddle made. This lowered me by over an inch, maybe more.

While I do love my Custom Corbin's, would suggest any custom seat where they can lower your center as well as shaving the front part of the seat where your quad rests. This gives much more room to sit flat footed.

Hope this helps and I look forward to reviewing my new suspensions. Oh, Motorcycle Metal is sending shocks for my ULTRA and Fat Bob.

Take pictures please, think these maybe going on my Street Glide this coming winter.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by schwangster
I made a spreadsheet for when I was setting my Ohlins up. Still refer back to it.

Headings were -

OHLINS SET UP
Preload mm / Rebound clicks / Ride Quality (1 worst-10 best) / Sharp bumps harshness (1 hard - 10 soft) /Cornering (1 bad- 10 awesome)

This allowed me to see trends as I messed with adjustments. PM if you want a copy. I can't get it to attach to the posting.

BTW turned out Howard's original settings were pretty much correct, within 1 turn of the damping adjuster.
You experience is pretty much the same as mine except I bought the #2's. This is why, if asked, I generally recommend the #2 version as Howard hits the nail on the head valving wise. So then it comes down to preload. Some versions of the #2's have the same style preload adjuster as the #3's, some don't. Howard tells me that the valving stack in the #3's is superior to the #2's. I didn't want to pay the extra money. So far I am totally satisfied. A guy could not go wrong buying either style.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
You experience is pretty much the same as mine except I bought the #2's. This is why, if asked, I generally recommend the #2 version as Howard hits the nail on the head valving wise. So then it comes down to preload. Some versions of the #2's have the same style preload adjuster as the #3's, some don't. Howard tells me that the valving stack in the #3's is superior to the #2's. I didn't want to pay the extra money. So far I am totally satisfied. A guy could not go wrong buying either style.
I agree. I can't imagine any shock being better than these #2-3's, as to be better they would have to give you no sensation of bumps at all, like riding a virtual bike from a computer console. I haven't ridden a bike with the #3's installed, so I'll admit there may be a way they could be better, but I can't imagine it.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:22 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This is kind of what I want to hear. I know the 3s are better I'm just not sure I would get that much more out of them than the twos. I'm under the impression that the twos are better than most companies top of the line shocks.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I agree. I can't imagine any shock being better than these #2-3's, as to be better they would have to give you no sensation of bumps at all, like riding a virtual bike from a computer console. I haven't ridden a bike with the #3's installed, so I'll admit there may be a way they could be better, but I can't imagine it.
damn the 2's are getting excellent reviews and a whole lot less money than the 6's

Old 05-17-2012, 03:49 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I think we are talking BMW, Porsche, Ferrari here. How much car (shock) do you need?