Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get the "cushy" Ohlins ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 62hdbiker
Which way do you turn the adjuster on the bottom to firm up the ride? I am bottoming out and have pre-load set properly.
Thanks
didnt feel like calling howard?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
didnt feel like calling howard?
No, you know he gets a little impatient sometimes. I put them on 6 months ago and just could not remember which was was harder

Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Which way do you turn the adjuster on the bottom to firm up the ride? I am bottoming out and have pre-load set properly.
Thanks
I had the same issue originally, You may have preload set correctly, theoretically, but if you're bottoming out you need to add preload. The sweep valve controls the speed of damping, it's more of a fine adjustment, set it at about 12 clicks then add a half turn on the prload collar, till you stop bottoming out. use the "zip tie" method.

Last edited by fabrik8r; 04-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
I had the same issue originally, You may have preload set correctly, theortically, but if you're bottoming out you need to add preload. The sweep valve controls the speed of damping, it's more of a fine adjustment, set it at about 12 clicks then add a half turn on the prload collar, till you stop bottoming out. use the "zip tie" method.
how do you mount the zip tie and what does it do?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog95023
how do you mount the zip tie and what does it do?
put a small zip tie on the shock shaft and slide it up to touch the bottom of the shock, go for mild, non-extreme short ride, no huge bumps or drive way transitions, average decent road. stop and check to see how far the zip tie is forced down on the shaft. if its burried in the rubber bumpstop, you need to add a little preload, slide the tie back up to the top and repeat untill it settles just shy of the bump stop. If the tie is above the bump stop, you're set too stiff and can remove a little preload. When all is said and done 1/2 turn on the preload collar is the difference between a good ride and a great ride.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

put a small zip tie on the shock shaft and slide it up to touch the bottom of the shock, go for mild, non-extreme short ride, no huge bumps or drive way transitions, average decent road. stop and check to see how far the zip tie is forced down on the shaft. if its burried in the rubber bumpstop, you need to add a little preload, slide the tie back up to the top and repeat untill it settles just shy of the bump stop. If the tie is above the bump stop, you're set too stiff and can remove a little preload. When all is said and done 1/2 turn on the preload collar is the difference between a good ride and a great ride.
Great explaination..!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Should of said something about your setup on your bike when you ordered them sounds to me like your stuck!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

No, you know he gets a little impatient sometimes. I put them on 6 months ago and just could not remember which was was harder
hahahaha, I was teasing you. Fabrik8r thanks for the info. You saved me a call too

Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 PM
tencrore
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks fabrik8r for the explanation. I just did what you said and the zip ties sit about 1/2" above the bump stop. I'll loosen the preload a bit to bring it closer to the bump stop and see how it feels. Once again, thanks!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tencrore
Thanks fabrik8r for the explanation. I just did what you said and the zip ties sit about 1/2" above the bump stop. I'll loosen the preload a bit to bring it closer to the bump stop and see how it feels. Once again, thanks!
That may be ok where you're at, unless you fell like it could be better. You don't necessarily need to adjust all the way down to where it consistiently contacts the bumpstop, leave at least a 1/4". Remember, you're adjusting on a mild surface and operating condition, you need a little room for when you actually encounter a larger bump. You don't really want to be into the bumpstops routinely, but occasionally on the nasty bumps is what they are there for, to prevent hard contact on bottom out. Try backing off a little and see how it feels.

Quick Reply: Can't get the "cushy" Ohlins ride