Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get the "cushy" Ohlins ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks jimmyDee that makes sense. I have a set of 6's in my.garage waiting to be installed.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Arizona Mike
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howard is still working with me to get the best ride. He now knows about my lowering blocks (felt is was my bike but wanted me to make sure there's no rubbing). To hog 95023, no, I'm not at the point of selling my 3-3s; I still think we can get them to work. To RockerMike, I have over a thousand miles on the shocks, a few hundred on the progressive-wound springs, which were earlier exchanged by Howard.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:02 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
But why would you need to do that if you bought them from Howard in the first place? Isnt he the expert?
Fair question, one of which I don't have an answer for...

Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't agree with much on this post , 1st lowering blocks , if you run ones like LA Chopper which drop it straight down and don't change the angle by going back it shouldn't make a difference , 2nd you can adjust the height of 3-3 to 12 3/4" , 3rd on a smooth ride , if you are not getting one yours are not adjusted properly , I had mine adjusted so it was the best ride I ever had but still a little firm , adjusted my preload 1 turn softer and the bike now floats over bumps , 4 on calling Howard's #3-#3 the same as Ohlins 909 you are misinformed , he starts with 909's but rebuilds the inside to his specs , they are not the same internally

Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The angle of the shock has nothing the do with leverage changes. It is the point of shock attachment in relation to the swingarm pivot that changes the leverage. So if the shock is moved 2 inches rearwards away from the swingarm pivot the leverage is considerably different. Yes the angle changes but that is cosmetic. I could move the upper shock mount forward and down and that will increase the leverage that the rear wheel has over the shock. I could move the lower shock mount closer to the swingarm pivot and increase the leverage that the rear wheel has over the shock. One way lays the shock down, one way stands the shock straight up, both do the same thing as far as leverage changes. Believe it or not when you try to move a shock faster by increasing the leverage over the shock you soften the spring but stiffen the damping as a side effect of the leverage change.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
I don't agree with much on this post , 1st lowering blocks , if you run ones like LA Chopper which drop it straight down and don't change the angle by going back it shouldn't make a difference , 2nd you can adjust the height of 3-3 to 12 3/4" , 3rd on a smooth ride , if you are not getting one yours are not adjusted properly , I had mine adjusted so it was the best ride I ever had but still a little firm , adjusted my preload 1 turn softer and the bike now floats over bumps , 4 on calling Howard's #3-#3 the same as Ohlins 909 you are misinformed , he starts with 909's but rebuilds the inside to his specs , they are not the same internally
Just FYI, this did not come from me, guess the Ohlins factory does not know what they are talking about. Regardless of how they were set up when I received them they were as I have already stated, only marginally better than the stock SG shocks that I removed. Only after the factory disassembled and reassembled them, set them to factory specs did I get the ride that I was pursuing. I will say again, I could not get more than 1/4" sag no matter what I adjusted and the ride was not acceptable. Presently I could not be more pleased with my Ohlins set-up.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 PM
hdmg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona Mike
Howard is still working with me to get the best ride. He now knows about my lowering blocks (felt is was my bike but wanted me to make sure there's no rubbing). To hog 95023, no, I'm not at the point of selling my 3-3s; I still think we can get them to work. To RockerMike, I have over a thousand miles on the shocks, a few hundred on the progressive-wound springs, which were earlier exchanged by Howard.
Can you please elaborate on your statement "the progressive-wound springs, which were earlier exchanged by Howard".

Did you have progressive wound springs from the start or did he provide them as an alternative to the springs they came with?

What bike are you riding and how much does your load vary?

The reason I ask is that I am waiting delivery of my 3-3's. I have a streetglide that I ride solo 70% of the time. When the wife comes along or we tour, I install a detachable tour pack and all the usual load of luggage. Howard told me I would need progressive wound springs to cover the range of weight being added and that the preload adjustment will be different than a linear spring.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
Just FYI, this did not come from me, guess the Ohlins factory does not know what they are talking about. Regardless of how they were set up when I received them they were as I have already stated, only marginally better than the stock SG shocks that I removed. Only after the factory disassembled and reassembled them, set them to factory specs did I get the ride that I was pursuing. I will say again, I could not get more than 1/4" sag no matter what I adjusted and the ride was not acceptable. Presently I could not be more pleased with my Ohlins set-up.
When/if you removed the spring did the dampers operate smoothly? I removed my springs set my preload and I did check to see that the damper rod moved smoothly. I would think when loosening the spring up as much as you must have to say no matter what you couldn't get more than 1/4" of sag, the spring must have been so loose that removal would have very easy.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:48 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HMMM ive got the 3-3 from Howard also!!!!
And Im not happy yet!!!!

Looks like when we get constant riding weather I need to call Howard!!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Arizona Mike
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hdmg, Howard exchanged the springs I originally received with the progressively-wound pair, as no matter what I did per his instructions, the sag just wouldn't change, possibly due to my light weight of 140. My bike is a stripped-down 2000 EGC (resembles a SG), 70% solo riding, and I use soft luggage instead of the Tour-Pak, which at 35 lbs. empty, was too much weight above the rear seat for me.

Quick Reply: Can't get the "cushy" Ohlins ride