Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get the "cushy" Ohlins ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:55 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of the Ohlins look at Progressives 416's. They are similar to the stock shocks with air over oil but far superior in ride. I have a set of the 13" ones and they ride really nice. My wife has had neck and back injuries so a cushy ride was paramount for me.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:16 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a very similar experence, did all the adjusting/installation per Howard and continued to get a ride that was only marginally better than stock (2008 SG). With Howard trying to get to Daytonia he suggested that I contact the Ohlins office in Hendersonville NC and gave me a contact name.

These are some of the nicest people I have ever worked with and more than willing to help. They disassembled each shock and completely went through them and made a couple of suggestions as to installation and the results are everything that I had hoped for. I could not be more pleased now with my Ohlins 909's or #3-3 as Howard labels them.

I feel your anxiety, but don't give up...

Old 03-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Tell Howard about the lowering blocks. He will never be able to advise you correctly if you don't give him all the info he needs.
The lowering blocks do not limit the travel of the shocks in any way. Some models change the position of the shock which also changes the leverage ratio.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:43 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Do you want to sell the Shocks?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:02 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by schwangster
should make the springs softer?
Steeper angle, more torque on the springs....

I think
Actually if the lowering blocks moves the shock mounting point on the swingarm further away from the swingarm pivot, which I think they do, that would decrease the leverage that the swingarm has over the shocks therefore making the shocks act "stiffer" . If I was the OP I would take the lowering blocks off then see how they feel. Then he would know if they was making the shocks act stiffer or not. And I have always felt that progressive springs are less than desirable. I think they blow through the soft part too fast and hit the higher rated section when a guy hits bumps making the bumps seem more pronounced. But thats just my opinion. Also an HD will never float over anything unless you put it in a boat.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Axels
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you resolve your dilema? I have the same hight issue with a 29 inch inseam?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:32 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try decreasing your preload, ie backoff the spring adjusters...mine came way to stiff, i took about 3/4 of an inch off before the ride smoothed out, and the sag as shipped was about a 1/4 of an inch....its only a shock , there is alot of leeway .. in your case you want about 1 inch of sag since those shocks have about 3 inches of travel...leave the lowering blocks on, they will not affect it much, and you need it lower...actually i am fairly confident that you can lower it more with out bottoming....have a friend measure the eye to eye distance on the shock with you on the bike and make sure it is compressing down to at least 12 inches, if not less.....

Old 03-17-2012, 01:42 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles do you have on your Ohlins?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM
onedae
Cruiser

Don't know what you are expecting in terms of a "plush" ride. Ohlins will give you a very smooth and controlled ride - but a FIRM ride. You are not going to get a soft, cushy ride with them, or any other shock on a Harley touring bike. You might be happier with the Harley premium hand adjustable shocks. They are not as good as the Ohlins in terms of performance but I think they give a softer ride. Everyone is different but that was my experience.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:05 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by onedae
Don't know what you are expecting in terms of a "plush" ride. Ohlins will give you a very smooth and controlled ride - but a FIRM ride. You are not going to get a soft, cushy ride with them, or any other shock on a Harley touring bike. You might be happier with the Harley premium hand adjustable shocks. They are not as good as the Ohlins in terms of performance but I think they give a softer ride. Everyone is different but that was my experience.
I agree I have 2-2a s, I told Howard, that I wanted the plushest ride I could get....it is still stiff, but way better than before.....only so much you can do with three inches of travel.....even my buell could be dialed to run smoother than these glides.......one more thing I learned, no matter what you do to the back, it is only half of the bike.,,,,,,once I put race tech singlerate springs on the front, with modified intiminators, the ride was a lot better..

Quick Reply: Can't get the "cushy" Ohlins ride