Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48H Cams & Tune by Docs Performance! = FUN TO RIDE

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:29 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 48H Cams & Tune by Docs Performance! = FUN TO RIDE

Early in Jan. 2012 I decided I wanted to give my 2010 Ultra Classic, 96CI a lil more grunt. I e-mailed Andrews to ask them there reccomendations for cams for a stage 1 96CI motor. I was looking at the 26 & the 48H. Gary Wallace of Andrews promptly e-mailed me back saying they reccomend the 48H. I knew I wanted Doc to do my tune, so I started calling him & asking questions. He also said the 48H works great for my application. I made the appt. with Doc along with my Buddy to bring both our bikes to Mineola Fla. to get the tune. We installed cams in both bikes & they had to sit in the shop for a week waiting on March 9th for our 969 mile trip to see Doc. (round trip milage) When we pulled up to Doc's Performance & walked into his office we sat there & talked to Doc for about a hour about what he was going to be doing to our bikes. He is a pleasure to talk to & is extremely knowledgable. The man is the pioneer in this field! We both knew for sure we were in the right place! The following morning Doc started my dyno tune. The bike was on the dyno about 4 hours with him installing his recipe into my ECM. The numbers went from 77.65hp to 87.76hp. The Torque started at 89.16 & Doc gave me 99.67 Ft.lbs. These numbers are SAE. The AFR is 13.5 & the line looks like you drew it using a straight edge! I highly reccomend Docs Performance Tuning to anyone that wants to make there bike run as well as it can possibly run. This thing now runs like a raped ape & is smooth as silk all the way to 6200RPM. Doc is very free with his knowledge, he gave me a couple of pointers to do that will cost very little that will gain me about 10% more TQ & HP. I will not have to re-tune, the TTS will adjust. Thank you very much Doc for the GREAT tune, thanks Steve Cole for the TTS Mastertune!! Fantastic product! Thank you Andrews, for the 48H grind camshafts! Unbelievable!!! Dyno Sheet attatched.
2010 Ultra Classic
96 CI
Big Sucker A/C
Fuel Moto Jackpot head pipe
4" Rineharts
TTS Mastertune
Andrews 48H cams
Tune by Docs Performance Tuning!

Attached Thumbnails 48H Cams & Tune by Docs Performance! = FUN TO RIDE-dyno.png  
Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

um, feeling a little envy here, looks nice.

I'd like to know the MPG once you've been running it awhile

Mike

Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior

Thanks bro! I will be sure to let you know. On my second tank now.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Hubbs said!

I'd be the "other" fella.

Now that I know what "it's" like.... I'd do it all again for more money!

Been busy, but I too will be adding a report shortly!

We had a BLAST, and both have razor sharp tuned bikes.

The difference is indescribable... you just have to see (feel) for yourself.

If you go ahead and spend the money, why not extract all the value outta what you spend? You'll dad-gum get your money's worth outta Doc Weaver!

BTW... just been through the first tank after the tune. After we got back, some of us went for a ride last Sunday. Had to get her out on the "big road" and open her up. Made about 6/8 WOT pulls up to 120mph.

Filled the tank afterwards.... 42 mpg average!

Tell me a properly tuned bike won't scream, and get good gas mileage!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 PM
aktid35
Tourer

Not to hijack but I'm on my second tank since throwing 48H cams in my 07 RK 96". Bike runs great I love the cams but they seem noisy to me. Anybody else with 48H notice a lot of valve noise? First set of cams in a twinkie and just wondering if this is normal or if i screwed something up. Stock lifters still only 8k miles on em. Used stock pushrods and stock everything else as well. any thoughts?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:14 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior

Beav & I installed different cams in his 103. His bike runs awsome!!! His dyno sheet is unbelievable. Smokes my lil 96! Great memories for life for sure. Money well spent!!! We did not know what our scooters were capable of running like. Docs recipe works people!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by aktid35
Not to hijack but I'm on my second tank since throwing 48H cams in my 07 RK 96". Bike runs great I love the cams but they seem noisy to me. Anybody else with 48H notice a lot of valve noise? First set of cams in a twinkie and just wondering if this is normal or if i screwed something up. Stock lifters still only 8k miles on em. Used stock pushrods and stock everything else as well. any thoughts?
Yes sir, its not hijack, there is little info on the 48H. Thats one reason why I am posting this. I used my stock lifters too. Was planning on using Black Ops, talked to Doc about that. He said as long as its not 2012 just use whats in it. My bike has 11K on it. The 2012 lifters came from Mexico everdently, not so good. Stock lifters are pose to be good for 50k miles. I hear my top end louder than I use to, have asked about it from several people & was told its normal. Fill the tank & enjoy. Not a problem, We aint riding gold wings. I know what you mean though, after going into it I am listening for every lil tick. Its louder cause there is alot more going on in the rocker cover.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 PM
aktid35
Tourer

Originally Posted by DHubbs
Yes sir, its not hijack, there is little info on the 48H. Thats one reason why I am posting this. I used my stock lifters too. Was planning on using Black Ops, talked to Doc about that. He said as long as its not 2012 just use whats in it. My bike has 11K on it. The 2012 lifters came from Mexico everdently, not so good. Stock lifters are pose to be good for 50k miles. I hear my top end louder than I use to, have asked about it from several people & was told its normal. Fill the tank & enjoy. Not a problem, We aint riding gold wings. I know what you mean though, after going into it I am listening for every lil tick. Its louder cause there is alot more going on in the rocker cover.
I was kind of thinking the same thing I have read most aftermarket cams make more noise. It was what I was chalking it up to as well, it is a high lift cam so i expected it to be normal. But still new noises make me nervous. It doesn't sound like anything bad is happening just a nice rhythmic ticking. Nice to see I'm not the only one

Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior

I turn up the tunes bro. Its normal, enjoy it & ride.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 PM
aktid35
Tourer

I would if I could, being a road king I'm tuneless. Guess I'll stick to what I've been doing and openin' 'er up till the pipes are louder than my valves

Quick Reply: 48H Cams & Tune by Docs Performance! = FUN TO RIDE