Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 AM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Vision Question

So I am close to ordering some new slip-ons for my 11 EG Ultra. I changed out the headpipe to a catless and have been hearing a lot about the Power Vision. What can I expect if I ordered the Power Vision? I know it is set-up to flash tune, but what results will I see? For the price will it be something I notice the first time I twist the throttle? Gain in HP better fuel mileage? I am on the fence help me understand a little better.

Thanks
Joe

Old 03-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jjpish
So I am close to ordering some new slip-ons for my 11 EG Ultra. I changed out the headpipe to a catless and have been hearing a lot about the Power Vision. What can I expect if I ordered the Power Vision? I know it is set-up to flash tune, but what results will I see? For the price will it be something I notice the first time I twist the throttle? Gain in HP better fuel mileage? I am on the fence help me understand a little better.

Thanks
Joe
For me, it is a better throttle response and a MUCH cooler running engine. I would pay the money just for the heat reduction..

Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Do a search on Power Vision and / or tuners. Lots and Lots of info. Also call or e mail Fuel Moto for great info.

Then make your decision. IMO the PV is the easiest tuner Ive used to date

Old 03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
BigBen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all you did was the cat and the pipes, you probably don't need a tuner, although it would undoubtedly help. I have just an air cleaner and went with the nightrider IED. This made the mixture richer in most riding conditions while reducing the heat and making throttle response better. I paid around $60 for mine in '08. The new ones might be higher.

You will probably get better hp with the PV

Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

I removed the cat and had a stage 1 done when I bought the bike. Want to change out the exhaust and I know that would not warrent a tuner. Trying to find out what I am gonna get for the $500. Hp gain? If so how much? Better fuel mileage? Or will OT end up being an expensive toy....

Old 03-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,544 Likes on 2,700 Posts

I removed the cat and had a stage 1 done when I bought the bike. Want to change out the exhaust and I know that would not warrent a tuner. Trying to find out what I am gonna get for the $500. Hp gain? If so how much? Better fuel mileage? Or will OT end up being an expensive toy....
For me, if you get it from Jamie you get a very good map (free updates for life), and "future-proofing" for upgrades you want to make later, and cheaper than a tuner+a dyno (and easier on your bike, I like that an identical bike was dyno'd, not mine) [yes yes, I know, every bike is different, etc, but not hundreds of dollars different]

Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM
eddiepoindexter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my PV from Jamie, before I flashed it, went out for a 15 minute ride. Came home, flashed the bike, went out again. Better throttle response, much cooler, and seemed smoother overall.

After five logging sessions, and changing the tune it just seems to keep getting better.

And as far as getting it from Fuel Moto, you will not find better customer service.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
skjskmata
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Joe
During winter, I did some mods to my 2007 Fat Boy: 96 to 103 kit; cams and 30-tooth belt drive sprocket. I also have SE air cleaner and V&H Big Shots Long pipes, which I have been running for several years with the V&H FuelPak. After the winter mods, I ordered a PowerVision from Fuel Moto and just flashed the ECM a couple days ago. The "base" tune from Fuel Moto made an instant improvement. I can't give you the technical details (yet), but there's much less vibration and the bike runs far smoother.

There is a learning curve if you're like me: new to tuners and you want to get the most out of the PowerVision. It gives you a great deal of flexibility to fine-tune your tune according to your needs and riding style. However, it works great right out of the box with the base tune (if you order from Fuel Moto). I believe DynoJet will also give you a base tune if order you direct, but you'll probably get a tune more tailored to your bike if you order from Fuel Moto (and probably a better price).

Also, as someone above already suggested, it's a great way to go if you think you'll be doing further mods.

So, I reccommend it.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 PM
jjpish
Road Captain

Thank You, if I do get it it will be from Jamie. Just trying to justify the coin...

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

So I am close to ordering some new slip-ons for my 11 EG Ultra. I changed out the headpipe to a catless and have been hearing a lot about the Power Vision. What can I expect if I ordered the Power Vision? I know it is set-up to flash tune, but what results will I see?
The PV is a fine tool if you're mission is to tweak your tune after you install it by delving into the innards of the ECM tables, but if you simply want a plug-and-play device a PCV will work as well, IMO. I've used both, including the PCV with Auto-Tune, and I think highly of both as tuning devices. IMO the biggest variable in the equation is the seller, and Fuel Moto is the right choice for most riders. They will provide an excellent map (PCV) or tune (PV) for your application, and if you should decide to upgrade further, like swapping cams or doing head work, you can obtain a tune/map upgrade for the new setup.

For the price will it be something I notice the first time I twist the throttle?
I'll wager that you would feel the difference. Most do regardless of the tuner selected.

Gain in HP better fuel mileage? I am on the fence help me understand a little better.
HP increase? Yes, but don't expect your bike to suddenly start doing wheelies every time you punch it. The gains are modest, but I think most find the results worth the money spent.

Fuel mileage increase? Not likely and mileage will probably be a bit lower than stock, as they tend to tune a little on the rich side in the interest of a cooler-running engine. If gas mileage is a priority ask for their "mileage tune." I tune my bike even leaner than they do with their "mileage tune" and have no problems with heat, and tuning leaner in the cruise range only will not affect WOT performance. An oil cooler helps if you don't already have one, of course.