Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Question front rotors

I had the Dealer install a new E-3 rear tire yesterday and some new rear pads also while it was off. So after he test rode the bike, he told me that possibly one of the front rotors is warped. He said there was a slight shimmy but should be able to wait until the next front tire change. The he suggested that I change bot rotors out, otherwise the neck bearing will wear out prematurely. So I asked him why they are warped already with 13k on the bike? He told me a lot them are like that then its better to go with "floating rotors". What's a floating rotor and whats the difference? So are there any aftermarket rotors that are better? I plan on rolling down the hill in my driveway with the motor off and applying the front brake to see if I can feel anything. I have heard that the engine also creates a shimmy feeling at low speeds making it feel like warped rotors. So with the engine off I shouldn't feel anything if it is not warped correct? thanks Jeff

Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Floating .................................................. ..................Solid
floating rotor is mounted on the hub with "bushings" so the rotor portion floats / freeplay.
Your current ones are just a hard mounted to the hub.

Shimmy? with the brake applied maybe a pulse from a warped rotor.
Shimmy may be when brake applied and the steering neck a little loose to get a shimmy at differant brakes forces and speeds. But ruin the neck...no way
is it low speed shimmy, high seped, brake off brake on,????
I went thru the warped rotor crap, brake dragging...and never had a shimmy from it

Last edited by katobird; 03-16-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer can check the rotor for trueness.i have a 10 sg with 20 k ive had 2 sets of rotors and 1 set of front wheel bearings seems to be common on the newer bikes

Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 AM
hdman6
Tourer

I dont feel anything myself, this is what I was told . It seems straight as an arrow to me when I slow to a stop. This is what the HD Tech said. I'm just questioning it since I don't feel anything when I apply the brakes. I always 2nd guess dealers because I think they try to up sell as much as they can. thanks

Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,701 Likes on 9,286 Posts

I wouldn't trust a dealer. Remember, they are there to sell stuff. They serve H-D, not you.
Check your rotors for oil or grease. Clean them thoroughly.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A warped rotor will cause the brake lever to pulsate when breaking lightly. I had to replace mine at 23000.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:39 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And don't believe the cr** about one new rotor taking out the neck bearings. He's smoking something other than Marlboro. I would replace them and the pads in pairs but not for the reasons given by your s/a.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,310 Posts

The very second that he told you that the shimmy would be okay until the next tire change was your clue to run out of there like your tail was on fire and find someone else.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:36 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman6
I dont feel anything myself, this is what I was told . It seems straight as an arrow to me when I slow to a stop. This is what the HD Tech said. I'm just questioning it since I don't feel anything when I apply the brakes. I always 2nd guess dealers because I think they try to up sell as much as they can. thanks
Contrary to many there are some very good dealers, in many cases it is treat them like sh^t that will t=be the same courtesy you get back. Additionally when the dealer said when you come back he was honest in that he is trying to save you money when the tire if off. And yes execessive vibration will wear another part off, how soon who know(weather, road conditiona you ride in and riding style).

Originally Posted by EasternSP
I wouldn't trust a dealer. Remember, they are there to sell stuff. They serve H-D, not you.
Check your rotors for oil or grease. Clean them thoroughly.
It behooves all dealers to have returning customers,

Originally Posted by wolfman 66
A warped rotor will cause the brake lever to pulsate when breaking lightly. I had to replace mine at 23000.
Dead on.

Me personally that is the first thing I change on the bike even before chrome. Also if you get a tube of anti seize and have a torque wrench do it your self no big deal, just don't drop the calipers on your fender or sratch your fender when R & R.

Take care

Old 03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
hdman6
Tourer

I just made a appt to have the brake fluid flushed out next Tuesday am. This is at another dealer that I have always used in the past. I was at a different one for the tire install etc when I was told about the warped rotor. So I am going to ask them to check it out as well and let me know. All I am going to do is ask them to check the front brakes out and see what the answer is. The fluid is way overdue to change and I read in my service manual that it needs the Digital technician to be plugged in to control the ABS module to allow to purge the fluid. Normally I would do it but seems now with this bike I have less and less I can do. I had a 1993 wide glide and did everything myself. With today's bikes its less I can do without the proper equipment.

Quick Reply: front rotors