Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video Tune a Power Vision?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Video Tune a Power Vision?

So, after having my 09 Road King Classic and SEPST and all my "joys" in pro tuning, let me first off say I LOVE my DynoJet Power Vision. I now have a black 2011 SG, and recently added 255 cams, Zippers hi flo air filter, and Vance Hines Monster Rounds. Before the cam swap, I did have the stealership download a Stg 2 255 download. So that is my "stock" tune captured with the PV.

So, now the reason for the thread- I got a map from Jamie at FM and started with it, but still with stock head pipe and gutted stock mufflers, I wanted to de-tune the map. So I set up the data log, collected the data, and used the PV Log tuner to tweak the map. This whole process to me is cumbersome, retreiving the map, saving as a new map, data logging, importing, re-calculating, saving, etc.

After de-catting the heaadpipe and adding the Monster Rounds, I again needed to tweak the map. Since my PV is mounted on the handlebar, I set the gauges on the PV to display the front and rear VE set value and also the NEW VE value, along with RPM, and MAP load. As I rode, I could see spots where the set value and the NEW value differed. So I knew some areas were off as much as 10%.

Now the good part- I used my smartphone to make a video of the PV screen. Instead of data logging, retreiving, recalculating, importing, etc, i just simply retrieved the map, opened the VE tables, and from the video made direct VE changes to VE tables based on the NEW value. Saved and resend and reflash, and now when I ride, the values are spot on- set vs new.

Thought it was kinda cool, wanted to share. A passenger could be of assistance to film the PV display, but I like some dare devil thrills every now and then!!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM
2012UltraLimited
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool. I too will be doing the PV when I have done my breakin in a month or two ( waiting for delivery on my 2012 Ultra limited). I also will start off with the se255 and HD reflash with the nightstick touring slipons. How did the bike run with the the HD flash compared to the PV pre loaded map for your set up? big difference or not noticeable. ride safe

Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RK09RK
So, now the reason for the thread- I got a map from Jamie at FM and started with it, but still with stock head pipe and gutted stock mufflers, I wanted to de-tune the map.
What do you mean by "detune"? Are you leaning some of the values in the Lambda table more like stock?

So I set up the data log, collected the data, and used the PV Log tuner to tweak the map. This whole process to me is cumbersome, retreiving the map, saving as a new map, data logging, importing, re-calculating, saving, etc.
Yes, it is--but after doing it a few times it becomes second-nature. Don't despair, though, as I think we'll soon see a one- or two-touch tuning procedure from the PV that eliminates the computer from the mix.

After de-catting the heaadpipe and adding the Monster Rounds, I again needed to tweak the map. Since my PV is mounted on the handlebar, I set the gauges on the PV to display the front and rear VE set value and also the NEW VE value, along with RPM, and MAP load. As I rode, I could see spots where the set value and the NEW value differed. So I knew some areas were off as much as 10%.
As fast as these change on the display I'm surprised you can watch it and ride at the same time. It's probably easier looking at your spreadsheet of the 13 parameters you use to tune, and the PV Tune software shows the differences even better than that by giving you a VE Delta table.

Now the good part- I used my smartphone to make a video of the PV screen. Instead of data logging, retreiving, recalculating, importing, etc, i just simply retrieved the map, opened the VE tables, and from the video made direct VE changes to VE tables based on the NEW value. Saved and resend and reflash, and now when I ride, the values are spot on- set vs new.
This is an interesting concept I haven't heard before, but by the time you set up a smartphone to video the gauges I would think you could create, retrieve, and study the logs in Excel. Before DJ perfected their tuning algorithms I was doing something similar by reading the log files in Excel and making manual changes. This was very time-consuming, but once the algorithms were tweaked I stopped doing this. I do, however, sometimes look at the New VE tables shown by PV Tune (Log Tuner) and manually change only a few areas that I'm concentrating on.

You're now ready to contribute to the PV sticky thread in the ECM/Tuner section here. See you there.

Last edited by iclick; 03-15-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012UltraLimited
Very cool. I too will be doing the PV when I have done my breakin in a month or two ( waiting for delivery on my 2012 Ultra limited). I also will start off with the se255 and HD reflash with the nightstick touring slipons. How did the bike run with the the HD flash compared to the PV pre loaded map for your set up? big difference or not noticeable. ride safe
You could save $150 by nixing the HD download (reflash), which IMO is unnecessary if you are going to buy a tuner. If you're buying the PV from Fuel Moto you'll get a close map for your setup, much closer from a performance standpoint than the HD download. Just have it ready on your PV when the 255 cams are installed and flash it. That'll get you very close if it is a Fuel Moto tune and you can tweak it to your specs after that using their Basic or Pro tuning procedures.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 PM
2012UltraLimited
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

@iclick.... appreciate the advise but going to try the flash out and get through the first 1000k before changing over. its not about the money.. after all we have Harley's LOL...I do like the ability to change back to stock map whenever necessary in my first 2 years re my warranty so Powervision is the one for me and Fuel Moto will be able to take care of future maps when the 107 goes in.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Default tune

The HD flash was a little more lean and hotter at idle and stoplights. Roll on was a little more lazy as well. It is noticeable difference. At this moment I have the HD flash in the ECM for better MPG testing as I head to Daytona this weekend. Once there I'll switch to the FM tweaked map. Last weekend I went to Daytona with my wife and gear and got 42.8 mpg with the FM tweaked map. I expect about 45-46it with the HD flash in the ECM now. Gas money isn't an issue, I just want to play with the PV!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Default tune

Originally Posted by iclick
What do you mean by "detune"? Are you leaning some of the values in the Lambda table more like stock?

Yes, it is--but after doing it a few times it becomes second-nature. Don't despair, though, as I think we'll soon see a one- or two-touch tuning procedure from the PV that eliminates the computer from the mix.

As fast as these change on the display I'm surprised you can watch it and ride at the same time. It's probably easier looking at your spreadsheet of the 13 parameters you use to tune, and the PV Tune software shows the differences even better than that by giving you a VE Delta table.

This is an interesting concept I haven't heard before, but by the time you set up a smartphone to video the gauges I would think you could create, retrieve, and study the logs in Excel. Before DJ perfected their tuning algorithms I was doing something similar by reading the log files in Excel and making manual changes. This was very time-consuming, but once the algorithms were tweaked I stopped doing this. I do, however, sometimes look at the New VE tables shown by PV Tune (Log Tuner) and manually change only a few areas that I'm concentrating on.

You're now ready to contribute to the PV sticky thread in the ECM/Tuner section here. See you there.
Hey Iclick, knew you would post on this one, lol... Detune was a decrease in the VE values. Jamies map was for the jackpot exhaust, I still had stock at that moment. Probably wouldn't have mattered too much but I was also in the PV learning phase.

A one touch or two recalculate map feature would be nice and eliminate two software programs used now. Guess I was spoiled with one software program with the SEPST. No biggie though.

The screen changes pretty fast but I can pause second by second and make the VE change. I just held the phone in hand and shot 58 seconds of various loads and rpms.

I don't recommend this to everyone riding solo , just wanted to share for those who may have a passenger that might be a little bored and willing to be a camera man, LOL!!! Seeing the values on screen is cool to me, never could see this except in linear graph form before with the SEPST. Another plus to the PV!!! Also can see knock retard as well real time while riding, another plus!!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Default flash

@iclick.... appreciate the advise but going to try the flash out and get through the first 1000k before changing over. its not about the money.. after all we have Harley's LOL...I do like the ability to change back to stock map whenever necessary in my first 2 years re my warranty so Powervision is the one for me and Fuel Moto will be able to take care of future maps when the 107 goes in.
Iclick point is valid. I actually put the flash in when I got the bike and it was bone stock. The tech knew I'd stuff cams in so he thankfully did the flash for the cams. I knew from the SEPST program maps the only difference would be timing curves and VE cell differences. Both values were more aggressive than the factory tune and it ran a whole lot better. Now to Iclick point, I could send you the HD flash since it is my stock tune at time of PV install. I lost out in capturing the factory tune but didn't really mind since the 255 cams were waiting on me at home when I picked up the bike. But you would have to get a PV to use the flash file since it has a ".pvt" file suffix extension now once the PV extracted it at the marrying process.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Linville Lion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
This makes sense. The data is in the ECU, why not just capture it and make it part of the tune. That gets me to my number one, unanswered question. If you install a tune (closed loop) that is set up to capture data to be used for the DJ tuning process, won't that continue to update the new VE files? If the ECU has the adjusted files captured, what would keep you from downloading an open loop program and choosing to not reset the trim values? Would this not keep the closed loop adjustments in the ECU and then run the bike with the open loop AFR settings? Not sure it is worth the effort but wondering more from a technical perspective.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have clue what these folks are talking about. Does anyone else feel the same?
Amazing how informed some riders are. Me, I just get on the bike, turn on the ignition and go riding. I suppose ignorance is bliss!

Quick Reply: Video Tune a Power Vision?