Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered Dragonfly today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:40 PM
HDDozer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am in the middle of the same problem...wish i saw this first

I bought my DF fairing from JPcycles because they had one in stock and shipped the same day. Catalog says "paint ready" and mine looks similar to the other pics on this thread. Looks like it was sent through a tumbler.

here is my first of many emails to Josh schmidt at JP who by they way has not called or emailed me back.

Josh,

My first complaint is that I was sent an email (attached below) that gave me a single tracking number for the order and i made plans( based on the delivery date) to have the fairing immediately brought down to the paint shop and begin paint. I also checked the tracking number through the week and was relieved to find that it was scheduled for delivery at the estimated day of 5-22-12. I was very surprised to find out that no fairing was delivered and only a box of flashlights were delivered that day. I called the order line (because it was after hours, 6:15pm pacific) and asked the sales person if the order was messed up or what and she said there were two tracking numbers. The second one indicated the delivery date of 5-23-12 by end of day. This messed up my schedule for paint and use.

Then, I received my Dragonfly fairing on 5-23, when I opened it up I found that the fairing was not paint ready as the catalog states, in fact, it seemed more like a "scratch and dent" Item. So I checked the order online to find out if i mistakenly ordered a scratch and dent item. I found that there was no mistake on my part and I did order the fairing that was supposed to be paint ready. By paint ready I assumed that would mean there was no need for any body work sanding or otherwise. As you can see from the pictures, it looks as this fairing was jostled around and scratched/rubbed and chipped (so much so that you can close your eyes and feel with you hand and you will feel the defects) prior to the shipping. (the fairing did seem to be packed well with bubble wrap and Styrofoam popcorn in the box). I was going to order a fairing straight from dragonfly concepts but you guys had one in stock so I ordered it from you. I called dragonfly this morning and was told that if i order from them that the item will be sent ready for the painter to prime and paint. The paint guy I spoke with today ran his hands over some spots and just eye balled others and indicated that he could paint it as is but that there would be 4-5 spots where you WILL see the defects and that the paint job would be less than perfect without some few hours of prep work. Now it appears that I am going to have to spend an extra $240 to a body shop to sand(the rough edges and burs from scratches) and Bondo (to top edge corners of the fairing, where the only right angles are) the fairing so that the blemishes will not show.

At this point I have missed my window for paint with my chosen facility and will have to wait. Also, I will have to have additional work done to make it paint ready as your catalog indicated it should be. Did I mistakenly recieve a fairing that should have been sold cheaper as a scratch and dent? If I ship it back for a refund do I get my gold membership refunded as well as shipping to and from reimbursed? Is JPcycles willing to refund the money it will cost for me to get the fairing paint ready? I would like to know what my options are with JP and what you can offer to make this right.

Please let me know if you could by the end of day. You can email or call me a
t...

see the pictures if i can attach them :/

Attached Thumbnails Ordered Dragonfly today...-jp3bad.jpg   Ordered Dragonfly today...-jp2.jpg   Ordered Dragonfly today...-jp4.jpg   Ordered Dragonfly today...-jp5.jpg  
Old 06-06-2012, 04:20 PM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! That's terrible! I was gonna go with them as well but after following this thread I decided to go with a Reckless fairing. I received it last week and I couldn't be happier. I ordered it with all the bells and whistles. Sony ipod radio, 6x9 polk speakers, amp and painted. It's loud and clear. Sturdy and well built. Paint was a perfect match. I hope you get it resolved soon good luck. Pics to come.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah that is how my fairing looked...as you can see by the pics I posted...

I was lucky that I got a painter that I knew and he patched up the fairing before painting it...bondo extra tlc...etc...BULLSH!T if you ask me. Not for paying THAT much for a fairing...I guess thats why they charge so much to paint it themselves cause they know there is alot of body work to be done and prep....Oh well...it is on my bike now and it looks good in spite of the crappy product they shipped me.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:09 PM
HDDozer
Intermediate

yeah i just dropped off my fairing to the painter today... gonna take $280 to get the fairing paint ready. JP cycles said that they would make it right by refunding me $280 in store credit or $200 back on my card...but only with a estimate from the shop (so they are going to send one). I just think its bullsh** that they wont just give me the whole $280 back on the card...I dont really think I would buy anything from them in the future (but who knows, it sounds like other peoples fairings came this way from DFC themselves).

If i was to do it all over again I would get a Dead Center fairing. I just saw one at Arlen Ness in Dublin CA and it looked great, or even a Woody's as they seem to be good as well. Either should be better than the Dragonfly I got. Only thing is I wanted the 6x9 speaker cut outs and needed it shipped quickly and JP cycles had it in stock.

Live and Learn

Old 06-09-2012, 07:15 PM
ad3333
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ad3333
Just wanted to provide a quick update from my prior post - I received a new replacement head unit yesterday from Dragonfly's vendor. As directed by the lady at DC, she suggested it would be a 10 minute switch of the head unit and that it was a matter of simply unplugging the old and plugging in the new. I opened the fairing and it didn't look like an easy fix for someone with little knowledge of aquatic sound equipment (see pics). I decided to close up the fairing and ship the whole thing back to Dragonfly as I didn't want to risk messing up the wiring. After calling them today and speaking to their tech, he reinforced that it's not a quick, easy install as opposed to the lady I spoke with initially and that sending it back would be the best option.

I'll let everyone know how it goes, I'm confident they'll fix or replace this fairing since I've had several other challenges in addition to the head unit. Also, closing the fairing wasn't an easy task either as I found it very difficult to align the bolts perfectly for a secure fit. Working alone, it took about 2 hours but I'm sure it's simple for the DC techs to pop open and close as they do this all day along with a shop designed to work on these fairings. Again, the tech I spoke with today confirmed that it can be a challenge to open and close the fairing and it's usually better to leave be if it can be avoided. I also had an issue with re-attaching the windshield but it could be a matter of alignment and I'll let them fix with the rest.

Aside from the malfunctioning head unit that I'm confident will get fixed, the wiring appeared very organized with black plastic binds as you'll see in the pics, which I attached to give an idea of what it looks like. Also, I received the new latch from their vendor to replace the faulty saddlebag latch and swapped it out. It was tedious and took about two hours but it's in proper working order now.

I'll send an update after I send this fairing back and give Dragonfly the chance to abide by their warranty. It has tremendous potential, I'm hoping they'll fix it all and I can start enjoying this premium addition to my bike.

Just received a call from Dragonfly, they decided on a rebuild on my fairing and are shipping me the new one based on their warranty. I'm awaiting the new fairing, the DF lady assures the paint on this unit is immaculate and the head unit is working properly. I'm confident my issues were an anomaly and I'm expecting the replacement to be awesome. The original I purchased was clearly built very well and sturdy, I think it was more an issue with a faulty head unit and them working with a new paint vendor. I'll take more pics when I receive the new one, I'm hoping I'll have some sharp pics to post and a great review of the product...

Old 06-09-2012, 08:24 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ad3333...Keep us posted & we need pics!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't believe people are still buying Dragonfly's with all the bad stories here about them.
I bought a Deadcenter a year ago because of 2 reasons - 1, mostly bad reviews on Dragonfly and 2, nothing but good about Deadcenter.
My Deadcenter is excellent quality, nothing but great communication with the company and the finish on it was perfect. I could have left it as is but being **** as I am I had it painted, which only cost me 100 dollars because of almost no prep required.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Dead Center Cycles
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by booch
I can't believe people are still buying Dragonfly's with all the bad stories here about them.
I bought a Deadcenter a year ago because of 2 reasons - 1, mostly bad reviews on Dragonfly and 2, nothing but good about Deadcenter.
My Deadcenter is excellent quality, nothing but great communication with the company and the finish on it was perfect. I could have left it as is but being **** as I am I had it painted, which only cost me 100 dollars because of almost no prep required.
Thanks for the Kudos Booch! We're glad to hear you're happy with your fairing. Whenever I read a post from one of our customers, it reenforces the reasons behind each little thing that we do to make the fairing something we can be proud of. Thanks for putting a smile on my face on a Monday!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM
ad3333
Cruiser

Originally Posted by klaybus
ad3333...Keep us posted & we need pics!
Finally got my replacement fairing from Dragonfly, so far so good. After I have a chance to run it for a few and take a few pics I'll post them...

Old 06-22-2012, 12:24 PM
ad3333
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ad3333
Finally got my replacement fairing from Dragonfly, so far so good. After I have a chance to run it for a few and take a few pics I'll post them...
Finally able to take a few pics, the finished product looks great. Although it took a few steps to get it right, I'm very pleased with the Dragonfly fairing. The hard saddlebags were also made by Dragonfly and I added the Harley Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit (passing Lamp bracket) prior to installing so the DF fits this as well. Feel free to hit me up here or offline if you have any questions...

Last edited by ad3333; 07-01-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Ordered Dragonfly today...