Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered Dragonfly today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your issue with DF.

I also have Dead Center Cycle, and have never had any issue with their fairing or customer service. Both are excellent. Sure I paid good money for it, but always say:
"Buy the best and always be satisfied"

Hope that you can get something resolved. If you paid by credit card call them and ask how to get your money back.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep those pics coming guys & gals. Maybe someone should start a thread with pics of after market fairings.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:41 PM
brockstwrt
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed. Curious how this turns out as I'm looking at fairings too. If body work needs to be done I'll just get one of those cheap fairings off fleabay and do the stereo myself.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so I got it back from the painter a couple days ago and MAN did the paint guy do a fabulous job! I will post some pics of the install so far. Question for those that put thier own stereo in. How did you secure it? did you use the "erector set" bracket and attach it to the fairing or did you use some other method? Case my stereo looks like it should have a bolt of some kind that screws into the back of the unit but it didnt have one. Guess I need to go to Home depot and find one that fits...

Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 PM
ad3333
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ad3333
I just purchased a Dragonfly fairing with my tax return as well. It shipped this week and so far the customer service has been outstanding. Keep in mind that all top of the line fairings are custom built and may take a few weeks, which I'm fine with if it's a quality product. Among the top-tier fairing companies, I went with Dragonfly as several local shops thought Dragonfly was the best built and fit. I like the look of this fairing a little better than the other options out there as well. I also purchased the stereo that you can buy with it, which has a compartment for an iphone. I'll post pics when I get it installed, I also purchased their OEM hard bags for my RKC...

I received my fairing and hard saddlebags last week and thought I would share my review and questionable experience with Dragonfly Concepts. First, the fairing: There were small bubbles in several spots on the paint that looks like specs of sand. Although Dragonfly refunded half the paint cost, I later discovered a 1/2 inch chip in the underside of the fairing. DC states this was not caused by poor painting. I disagree as chipped paint is consistent with something that has not been primed properly. They then told me that painting these fairings Vivid Black is very difficult to achieve a good result. Really?!? Although they offered to have me send it back for them to "evaluate" the problem, I don't trust them at this point and would rather seek a local paint shop.

Second, the stereo head unit ipod connection is flawed on this fairing as the music crackles without notice. Dragonfly had their stereo vender call me direct and are sending me a new head unit for me to replace on my own. Although this may be an easy install, it's not my area of expertise and I'll have to take the fairing apart to attempt this replacement install. Needless to say, I'm very concerned about this and will keep you posted.

Third, the saddlebags. Again, same problem with small paint bubbles and Dragonfly refunded half the cost of the paint. They didn't tell me when I purchased the bags that they don't come with the lid gaskets; they're $30 from HD. Additionally, one of the rubber boots had a broken piece that secures it to the bag. Again, they had their vendor call and I'm waiting for a replacement part.

In all, I paid approx. $4,000 for the fairing and saddlebags. It seems like it has the potential to be a quality product but these issues are clouding my excitement at the moment to say the least. I asked them to stand behind their product and replace this order but they refused. I'm considering my recourse at the moment and will likely have to pay a local shop to repaint both the bags and fairing. Hopefully, I'll figure out how to reinstall the replacement head unit stereo as well. Eventually, maybe I'll be good to go with this very expensive fairing.

One more thing - I expressed that I would share my objective experience here on this site and that people should know what I've been through. The Dragonfly person threatened to call this board and have my story pulled; I found that to be VERY surprising. I have no agenda, just a guy that spent alot of money in an attempt to enhance my Road King Classic and haven't had a very positive experience. What an insult to not only have one problem after another but then be threatened by sharing my experience here where people do the most research. Funny, I really thought I would be raving about this faring and saddlebags along with posting really cool pics - what a disappointment.

Buyer beware!

Last edited by ad3333; 04-18-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by parakiller
so I got it back from the painter a couple days ago and MAN did the paint guy do a fabulous job! I will post some pics of the install so far. Question for those that put thier own stereo in. How did you secure it? did you use the "erector set" bracket and attach it to the fairing or did you use some other method? Case my stereo looks like it should have a bolt of some kind that screws into the back of the unit but it didnt have one. Guess I need to go to Home depot and find one that fits...
I bought a used DF fairing and put on Fatboy about 3yrs ago. It didn't have stereo in it when I bought it. I used the DF Stereo Slide Marine mount/cover and it secured the headunit nicely also had nice spring loaded type smoke cover. I cut a piece of plexiglass and mounted it using small L-brackets below stereo mount my Arc amp. Here's a link with some pics.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...dragonfly.html

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by parakiller
This being my first purchase of an “unfinished” part I really had no idea what to expect...

... Dropped off fairing at painter guy's shop...he said he has seen worse...
It's been my experience that anything that's advertised as being "ready for paint" still needs a bit of work. I doubt that Dragonfly is any worse than any other company in that regard, and better than most.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 AM
serjayson
Road Captain

add3333 Wow what a bunch of bull! They not only aren't making things right but are also trying to shut you up? If you paid with a credit card dispute it. Keep us posted and good luck.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:25 AM
serjayson
Road Captain

parakiller did Dragonfly resolve your situation?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
ad3333
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by serjayson
add3333 Wow what a bunch of bull! They not only aren't making things right but are also trying to shut you up? If you paid with a credit card dispute it. Keep us posted and good luck.
I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle at this point. I've gone this far, I'll probably have it repainted and I'll try swapping out the head unit that their stereo vendor is sending. To make matters worse, I just discovered one of the latches on the saddlebags is faulty as well - Dragonfly charges $500 for latches alone. I talked to the latch vendor and they're sending a new one. What kind of a reputable company makes their customers deal directly with their vendors? Dragonfly, do the right thing and remake this order from scratch and make it right!!!!

Quick Reply: Ordered Dragonfly today...