Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my biked tuned right 129hp/129ftlbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by SE120RG
Dont get upset but I'm a little bit skeptical. 3 tuners all were with in a couple of horsepower and then you take it to this guy and he somehow pulls out 18hp and 14tq? Not likely, more likely a generous dyno. The important thing is your happy and it runs great with crisp throttle response.
Trust me, definitely not upset. In fact I tended to agree with your skepticism except for 2 very important facts.

1) Joe did a baseline dyno on my bike while I was standing there and before he had any clue as to the bike's performance. What did his original baseline dyno show? ....110hp / 116ftlbs Almost exactly what the previous dyno located 250 miles away and run almost a year ago showed. So the results were remarkably similar as a baseline before any tuning.

2) I know this bike like the back of my hand after 20,000+ miles. I also know what modest improvements to the fuel map feels like after dyno tuning (I've had three previous dyno tunes so I know exactly what "modest" improvements feel like).

After Joe's tuning, there was no "modest" increase in the seat-o-pants meter. The bike simply jumped whenever and wherever I asked it to.

Was I skeptical before?.... absolutely! That's exactly why I decided that the 3+ hr drive wasn't worth the effort. It's also why I ended up spending $ on 3 local tuners....because they were local and ultimately I paid the real price in lost performance.

I'm no longer skeptical, and most guy's that have taken the same path as I have came to the same conclusion. Joe requires leaving the bike for a week, he charges abit more but then again tuning is 80% of the work his shop does. Whether it's tuning supercharger bikes, turbo-charged bikes, Hyabusas etc, he tunes them.

So that leaves guy's looking to tune their efi engine with a choice, they can tune at a shop where 80% of the work is changing oil and tires or at a shop where 80% of the work is tuning. My skepticism cost me 2 years of performance that had me lol while riding last night. My skepticism has been completely resolved.

Other's can believe what they wish but both the hard facts of my baseline dyno and my seat-o-pants meter are hard to argue with.

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-15-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by SE120RG
Dont get upset but I'm a little bit skeptical. 3 tuners all were with in a couple of horsepower and then you take it to this guy and he somehow pulls out 18hp and 14tq? Not likely, more likely a generous dyno. The important thing is your happy and it runs great with crisp throttle response.
I just realized you have a 120R in your bike. When I was with Joe we were talking about 120R's he's tuned and he asked if I wanted to see a comparison between my bike and a 120R he tuned last summer that had the same cam as mine (Woods 408-6 cam).

Here's the dyno comparison. Very similar to your #s (134hp/137ftlbs) with stronger trq in the lower rpms (compared to my 110") which makes sense given the larger displacement.

Attached Thumbnails Finally got my biked tuned right 129hp/129ftlbs-2010-seuc-final-dyno-vs-similar-120ci-actual-3_12_12-joe-s-cycle-small.jpg  

Last edited by Heatwave; 03-15-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Trust me, definitely not upset. In fact I tended to agree with your skepticism except for 2 very important facts.

1) Joe did a baseline dyno on my bike while I was standing there and before he had any clue as to the bike's performance. What did his originally baseline dyno show? ....110hp / 116ftlbs Almost exactly what the previous dyno located 250 miles away and run almost a year ago showed. So the results were remarkably similar as a baseline before any tuning.

2) I know this bike like the back of my hand after 20,000+ miles. I also know what modest improvements to the fuel map feels like after dyno tuning (I've had three previous dyno tunes so I know exactly what "modest" improvements feel like).

After Joe's tuning, there was no "modest" increase in the seat-o-pants meter. The bike simply jumped whenever and wherever I asked it to.

Was I skeptical before?.... absolutely! That's exactly why I decided that the 3+ hr drive wasn't worth the effort. It's also why I ended up spending $ on 3 local tuners....because they were local and ultimately I paid the real price in lost performance.

I'm no longer skeptical, and most guy's that have taken the same path as I have came to the same conclusion. Joe requires leaving the bike for a week, he charges abit more but then again tuning is 80% of the work his shop does. Whether it's tuning supercharger bikes, turbo-charged bikes, Hyabusas etc, he tunes them.

So that leaves guy's looking to tune their efi engine with a choice, they can tune at a shop where 80% of the work is changing oil and tires or at a shop where 80% of the work is tuning. My skepticism cost me 2 years of performance that had me lol while riding last night. My skepticism has been completely resolved.

Other's can believe what they wish but both the hard facts of my baseline dyno and my seat-o-pants meter are hard to argue with.
I can confirm what Heatwave is saying. When I had my 117" build (with TMAT) done a couple years ago, I had it tuned twice by local shops and wasn't happy with it. Part of the issue was the fact that the bike had the Thundermax Autotune on it, which everyone claims to be proficient with. The guys at Bayside HD in Norfolk were the ones who recommended Joe's Cycle Repair to tune a TMAT bike. So I towed my bike up there one weekend, left it the entire week, and picked it up the following week. The bike ran amazing. It wasn't cheap, but it was absolutely worth it. I'm not claiming Joes Cycle Repair are the best EFI tuners in the world (a claim I couldn't possibly substantiate), but I'm absolutely confident they're one of the best in the business.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 AM
SDrake65
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe Should Be picking up my NT from Scott at Hillside anyday now. This thread is very reassuring, Thanks for posting!!!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Anpumes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
...you have great numbers and wonderful torque curve - well more like a plateau!
I really like that torque curve as well - plateau, as grbrown said - very nice indeed!

Originally Posted by PFWiz
...did not want to name names because the various tuners tried hard... ...one of us might go to one of them expecting quality work...
I think the moral here is that they did a decent job but if you really want the best you can get, drive to see the guy the OP is talking about. Don't waste your time on a local shop. Simple and it then makes no difference who tuned his bike the first three times.

My bike has been on the dyno for 40+ hours. Difficulty with a SE kit from Harley that didn't work as advertised a parts swap including cams, bigger injectors, throttle body and lifters. It's finally running as it should and with 20k on the clock, I'm happy with it. All of this done with the same guy tuning it...