Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my biked tuned right 129hp/129ftlbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts

The best thing about using SAE numbers is that it enables us all to compare runs for different bikes in different locations, or that is the theory! Whatever, you have great numbers and wonderful torque curve - well more like a plateau!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Congrats for getting the bike sorted out...

In your post you said you did not want to name names because the various tuners tried hard to make things right. I understand that they may have given it their all, but the fact remains that they failed. I am sure that you on the other hand did not fail in you side of the bargain. You paid them all of the money agreed upon.

If you don't name names then one of us might go to one of them expecting quality work on our bikes, instead of just a really good try. I don't know about you but I pay for results not effort. You wouldn't be saying they are bad or evil people. Just people who can't seem to get everything out of a dyno tune....

Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,079 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce00
I guess you did!!!
LOL

Congrats, I bet your one happy camper. One question, I didn't see any mention of lower engine work. Are you still running a stock harley bottom end?
And one last question, what tuner are you running?

Best of luck with that sweet ride
Bottom end was never opened. Running stock pistons up top. Joe at Joe's Cycle Repair used my SE Pro Super Tuner software for the basic tuning but all other tweaking was done with my DJ PowerVision.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by fastbagger
Joe is the best, and it's Mechanicsville in Saratoga County NY. Joe tuned my 2001 flhtci in 2003 and it ran awesome. Best tuner in area.
Thanks for the correction on the city. Actually I think its Mechanicville, NY (no "s")

Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Congrats for getting the bike sorted out...

In your post you said you did not want to name names because the various tuners tried hard to make things right. I understand that they may have given it their all, but the fact remains that they failed. I am sure that you on the other hand did not fail in you side of the bargain. You paid them all of the money agreed upon.

If you don't name names then one of us might go to one of them expecting quality work on our bikes, instead of just a really good try. I don't know about you but I pay for results not effort. You wouldn't be saying they are bad or evil people. Just people who can't seem to get everything out of a dyno tune....
I think that's a reasonable conclusion but I just don't feel right giving "negative press". I would say the vast majority of tuners are OK with basic flashing and stage 1's but given my experience (somewhat limited of course to the NJ, PA, NY area), I believe the vast majority of tuners just don't have the necessary experience to tune a bike with headwork or larger TBs or larger injectors. Invariably they'll say that its "too much TB or injector" for the build when in reality it's too much from the perspective of their tuning skills.

If you want a lesson from my expensive tuning travails, here it is. Find the guy that has successfully tuned exotic builds like superchargers and turbochargers and make the drive (even if its a long one) to have that guy do your tuning. If he's capable of tuning much higher flowing bikes, then a basic stage 2 or 3 should be relatively easy.

In my opinion, I'd rather have a tuner experienced with high performance builds stepping down to tune my bike than a tuner that generally just does pre-programmed ECU flashes and tuning on stage 1 upgrades that has to "learn" his way on a higher flowing bike.

That's just the opinion of 1 guy based on the experiences I already shared. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 AM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
Those graphs look super smooth as well, very nice.
And the smoothing is set to "0". Next time you get your engine tuned, ask your tuner for the graph set to 0 smoothing. Most tuners smooth the curve out by setting smoothing to 5. To see the "real" curve, demand to see the dyno with smoothing set to 0 and you'll have a much clearer picture of the engine's performance instead of hiding it behind the software's smoothing algorithym.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,063 Likes on 3,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I think that's a reasonable conclusion but I just don't feel right giving "negative press". I would say the vast majority of tuners are OK with basic flashing and stage 1's but given my experience (somewhat limited of course to the NJ, PA, NY area), I believe the vast majority of tuners just don't have the necessary experience to tune a bike with headwork or larger TBs or larger injectors. Invariably they'll say that its "too much TB or injector" for the build when in reality it's too much from the perspective of their tuning skills.

If you want a lesson from my expensive tuning travails, here it is. Find the guy that has successfully tuned exotic builds like superchargers and turbochargers and make the drive (even if its a long one) to have that guy do your tuning. If he's capable of tuning much higher flowing bikes, then a basic stage 2 or 3 should be relatively easy.

In my opinion, I'd rather have a tuner experienced with high performance builds stepping down to tune my bike than a tuner that generally just does pre-programmed ECU flashes and tuning on stage 1 upgrades that has to "learn" his way on a higher flowing bike.

That's just the opinion of 1 guy based on the experiences I already shared. Good luck!
I think it's big of you to not trash and to explain why....Some are just not equipped or experienced enough to do some jobs...They should walk away from business if it's too big for their shoes...They may be great at some stuff but only adequate at others...
I have a local Indy that told me he could tune Carbed bikes really well but if i wanted my 07 tuned he would recomment another guy...

Old 03-15-2012, 07:12 AM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont get upset but I'm a little bit skeptical. 3 tuners all were with in a couple of horsepower and then you take it to this guy and he somehow pulls out 18hp and 14tq? Not likely, more likely a generous dyno. The important thing is your happy and it runs great with crisp throttle response.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Default dyno

Originally Posted by SE120RG
Dont get upset but I'm a little bit skeptical. 3 tuners all were with in a couple of horsepower and then you take it to this guy and he somehow pulls out 18hp and 14tq? Not likely, more likely a generous dyno. The important thing is your happy and it runs great with crisp throttle response.
Same thing I thought. I'd take it back to all 3 dynos and make pulls as is, newly tuned. Then the story is fully told. I have done this before chasing power left on the table. Result was a poor initial tune at dyno number one. After dyno number two and better tune, went back to dyno number one. Guess what, the new tune was confirmed, the numbers were within 1 hp & tq. Oh, and the initial tune guy had already been let go. After two years, you owe it to yourself and the build!!!! :-)

Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Heatwave, glad you're happy. I'd be interested to know what the baseline dyno numbers were; i.e., how much hp and torque were gained through tuning. And I hope you'll post some mileage and rideability information after a few tanks of gas.

As for corrected numbers v. actual numbers, as previously mentioned the correction factor was developed to permit apples to apples comparisons between virtually identical engines tested in different environments; e.g. a bike tested at sea level will have denser air (more oxygen) than an engine tested at altitude (less oxygen) to support combustion; colder air will be denser than hot air, etc.

If Heatwave's tune works great in relatively cool and low altitude NY, it may be a ping monster in the heat and altitude of say, an Arizona summer.

Again, glad to see Heatwave is happy with his build and tune.

Carl

Quick Reply: Finally got my biked tuned right 129hp/129ftlbs