Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Emissions - What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question California Emissions - What is it?

(Can't seem to find the answer to this for the newer bikes).

Can someone tell me what the difference is on a CA bike over a 49 state bike?

On my '04 it was basically a cat in the right muffler and a vapor canister with a tube to it from the throttle body. Exhaust and AC basically took care of both.

Just wondering if it's the same on the newer bikes, like my 2012.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

2010 and up is 50 State and Canada compliant bike for exhaust/ tailpipe emissions

The 2010 regs "harmonized" Federal to CA standard as in 1963(?) ( PCV), 1967 ( air pump) and 1975 ( EGR and Catalytic convertor) Federal regulations caught up to CA.

CA models may have differences in evap canister:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....dmc&A=766&B=57

The evap canister captures and stores hydrocarbon fumes while the bike is parked and burns them when the bike is running.

an ounce of unburned raw gas releases hydrocarbons to the environment equivalent to about 1000 miles of operation of a current car model ( as I recall from classes) and equal to a leaf blower or lawn mower in operation for about an hour

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-14-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

CA bikes have a charcol canister! But no inspections or emissions testing!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Only difference in new Ca. bikes is the evap. canister which has no effect on performance.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Only difference in new Ca. bikes is the evap. canister which has no effect on performance.
I dont know about that. On the Dyna the dam thing down by the reg sticking out there has to slow the bike some plus it looks fugly! At least they hid it on the softy.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 PM
ernster500
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nvsteve
So, that's what they charge us $200 extra for... Go figure!

Thanks for the replies!

E

Old 11-02-2020, 07:42 PM
Darrin Vavricka
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't register my 2010 dyna

Ca DMV told me I can't even ride it legally because it doesn't have Ca EPA sticker!

Old 11-02-2020, 08:49 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,214 Likes on 4,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrin Vavricka
Ca DMV told me I can't even ride it legally because it doesn't have Ca EPA sticker!
That depends... did you buy it as a new bike (less than 7500 miles at time of purchase) from out of state...?? Or a used bike (more than 7500 miles at time of purchase) from out of state...?? Were you a CA resident when you bought it...???

FWIW...

Maybe it's changed, but in 2012, I bought a new bike in NYS. As a CA resident, it needed to have the CA compliant sticker for me to register it here in CA, after I rode it back from NY..... No way around that.... So I ordered it from a NYS dealer, with the CA emissions, and had no problem when it came time to register it here in CA... They did inspect it for the CA emissions compliance label...

If I had bought a USED bike (defined as a bike with over 7500 miles)... it only had to have the Federal Emissions compliant label, for me to register it in CA....

In addition to the Federal manufacturer's label that states it conforms to Fed Emissions standards, on the left side down tube.... The 2012 bike had another label on the right side down tube, that states it is CA emissions compliant.... of course it also had the fuel tank vent charcoal canister in place...

Two years ago, I bought a used Springer. It had 9.8K miles. It was registered in New Mexico. It doesn't have the CA emissions sticker, just the federal emissions compliant sticker. It doesn't have the Charcoal canister either. I had no issue registering it here in CA because it was a used bike...

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/upload...3/ffvr29-1.pdf

Last edited by hattitude; 11-02-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:35 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Good luck, I bet less than half the DMV folks know the regs that well. Wait till you talk to them about drivers license class for driving an RV.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:39 PM
Darrin Vavricka
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't register

Originally Posted by hattitude
That depends... did you buy it as a new bike (less than 7500 miles at time of purchase) from out of state...?? Or a used bike (more than 7500 miles at time of purchase) from out of state...?? Were you a CA resident when you bought it...???

FWIW...

Maybe it's changed, but in 2012, I bought a new bike in NYS. As a CA resident, it needed to have the CA compliant sticker for me to register it here in CA, after I rode it back from NY..... No way around that.... So I ordered it from a NYS dealer, with the CA emissions, and had no problem when it came time to register it here in CA... They did inspect it for the CA emissions compliance label...

If I had bought a USED bike (defined as a bike with over 7500 miles)... it only had to have the Federal Emissions compliant label, for me to register it in CA....

In addition to the Federal manufacturer's label that states it conforms to Fed Emissions standards, on the left side down tube.... The 2012 bike had another label on the right side down tube, that states it is CA emissions compliant.... of course it also had the fuel tank vent charcoal canister in place...

Two years ago, I bought a used Springer. It had 9.8K miles. It was registered in New Mexico. It doesn't have the CA emissions sticker, just the federal emissions compliant sticker. It doesn't have the Charcoal canister either. I had no issue registering it here in CA because it was a used bike...

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/upload...3/ffvr29-1.pdf
It's a 2010 Dyna FXDF bought from private dealer in Pa. Has only 3200 miles on it. I live in Ridgecrest(earthquake land), Kern County, Ca. Yes I'm long time resident. I'm thinking dealer will have to take it back and have it shipped to Pa.?

Last edited by Darrin Vavricka; 11-02-2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Add more info to post

Quick Reply: California Emissions - What is it?