Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Emissions - What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 10:03 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Ouch, I have seen a lot of bikes, cheap, on craigslist, from out of state. Guys buy them not knowing they cannot be registered here. Hope you figure out a way. Maybe see what it takes to make it CA legal.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:27 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,214 Likes on 4,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrin Vavricka
It's a 2010 Dyna FXDF bought from private dealer in Pa. Has only 3200 miles on it. I live in Ridgecrest(earthquake land), Kern County, Ca. Yes I'm long time resident. I'm thinking dealer will have to take it back and have it shipped to Pa.?

Yep, the 3200 miles is the kicker... By their definition, it's still a new bike....

I always thought it was a combination of model year and/or mileage... but found out I was wrong when looking into buying a new bike in NY... I probably wouldn't have done the research if I was buying a 10 year old bike...

Who would think a 2010 bike could be considered a new bike just based on mileage...!?!?!?

You're only choice would be to register it out of state until it has over 7500 miles... hoping you don't get stopped by a registration savvy LEO who notices you're a CA resident, riding an out of state registered bike, in your name.... but that is probably moot, if the DMV put the VIN in their computer, along with the mileage, when you tried to register it... That would be a record that you purchased it, and first brought it into the state, with 3200 miles...

Sorry you got caught up in that strange rule... good luck with your predicament..

Old 11-03-2020, 08:40 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by handirifle
Good luck, I bet less than half the DMV folks know the regs that well. Wait till you talk to them about drivers license class for driving an RV.

Isn't that the truth...!!!

On the RV forums, there are always posts of people asking what license is required to drive large Class A motorhome ....

It's not just CA, but in many states, people are finding out they were given bad info on license requirements from their DMV...

None of this really needs to be all that complicated.... but it all boils down to money... God forbid that a DMV misses the opportunity to charge a resident some kind of fee or tax..

That's what happens when politicians get involved with anything/everything...!!!

Old 12-08-2020, 10:46 PM
jimkav
Intermediate
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

so it sounds like I could buy an 09 roadking out of texas with 18,000 miles and get title/register in california regardless of CA compliant on headstock?
Just meets federal emissions sticker.
Correct?

Old 12-08-2020, 11:23 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

My suggestion, knowing how screwed up this state is, os to go the the local DMV or AAA where you plan to register it, and ask them what it needs or better, what they look to see that it has. From personal experience, you can go to 2 different offices, and get told 2 entirely different stories. I went through that registering a home built trailer.

Have gone through similar with cars from AZ. Cars are a bit tougher cause they have more stringent rules, so far.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:27 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jimkav
so it sounds like I could buy an 09 roadking out of texas with 18,000 miles and get title/register in california regardless of CA compliant on headstock?
Correct?
Yes. 7,500 miles or more. Bought my bike out of state, no problem. Also, military has some advantage for registering out of state vehicles. All info is on dmv.ca.gov.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:39 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimkav
Correct?

You should have no problem.....

From CA DMV web site:"Nonresident Vehicle Information

A nonresident vehicle is a vehicle last registered in another state or country.

Can I Register My Nonresident Vehicle in California?

Some nonresident vehicles cannot be registered in California or the United States (U.S.). For rules and exceptions, see the Buying a Vehicle From Out of State–Can You Register It in California? (FFVR 29) Fast Facts brochure.

Caution: Unless the vehicle was originally manufactured to meet California emission standards or the owner or vehicle qualifies for an exemption, California law prohibits California residents or businesses from bringing into California or registering in California, a motor vehicle which is less than 2 years old and has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase, trade, or acquisition. Refer to the Statement of Facts California Non-Certified Vehicle (REG 256F) form for exemptions."

The following users liked this post:
dodger413 (12-16-2020)