Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade my 09 Ultra for an '11 SE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
jimd3246
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trade my 09 Ultra for an '11 SE?

Oh, man, it's a really beautiful '11 FLHTCUISE2. 5k miles, some upgrades (Lower speakers, chopped trunk) at 32k. Love my '09 Ultra Classic and got her just the way I want her. I'm really pondering the trade. If I could get $17+ for the trade, does it sound right? I know that most of you have more experience in the market than I do, so just looking for a few opinions. Thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Just me thinking, but if I had that Ultra just the way I wanted it, I would pass the on CVO. However, if the CVO is just killin' you, the NADA average retail on the CVO is $34,450. Checked Kelley Blue Book - they didn't have it listed. So the $32,000 sounds like a resonable price. But check other resources for CVO prices, like Cycle Trader, Chopper Exchange, E-Bay, etc.

My $0.02

Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

my 2¢

you know the Ultra

the other bike is an unknown quantity.

and reading posts on the internet from other owners what they do and how they treat their bike makes me ascared to buy used.

and you'll have to balance the value, your 09 might sell for 18K here, private sale--- that means 14K trade maybe...

or they could tell you 17K trade and bump the price of the new bike up 3K.

...and lastly, if you own your ultra outright and your house is paid off, go ahead.

If you are trading one set of payments for another, longer, commitment, think again

mike

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
my 2¢

you know the Ultra

the other bike is an unknown quantity.

and reading posts on the internet from other owners what they do and how they treat their bike makes me ascared to buy used.

and you'll have to balance the value, your 09 might sell for 18K here, private sale--- that means 14K trade maybe...

or they could tell you 17K trade and bump the price of the new bike up 3K.

...and lastly, if you own your ultra outright and your house is paid off, go ahead.

If you are trading one set of payments for another, longer, commitment, think again

mike
Very Good advise especially Trading Payments for Payments Very bad idea. I just bought a new 2012 FLHTK and came very close to getting a the CVO. New they are $42,000 the door. Which would not been bad if i traded both bikes. But you still need to do some engine work and something with the exhaust and ignition. So i passed and have two bike and no payment and enough money for engine work, savings and vacation.

But I will agree looking at the CVO was very tempting, and last I want to ride not spend all my time cleaning.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimd3246
Oh, man, it's a really beautiful '11 FLHTCUISE2. 5k miles, some upgrades (Lower speakers, chopped trunk) at 32k. Love my '09 Ultra Classic and got her just the way I want her. I'm really pondering the trade. If I could get $17+ for the trade, does it sound right? I know that most of you have more experience in the market than I do, so just looking for a few opinions. Thanks
Jimd3246, read your post, and I have to talk you bcck from the ledge, so I might get a bit long winded here. Just bear with me.

I have a "04 Ultra, which the original owner traded " 3500 miles after spending lots of $$ on serious quality perfomance modifications-Stage I w/ Reinhart true duals, highway cams, hydrualic clutch, screaming eagle super tuner. It was, and still is, a pristine bike. It was like buying a new bike that had been broken in for me. I spent the next few years "making it my own" and finally got it just right. Perfect. Got my safety mods-Hyperlites on the back, Motolights up front, a kick *** air horn (Authentic A/H-not cheap but 130db and nice looking), lots of other touches.

A while back I was on a road trip in Wisconsin. Saw a 2011 Ultra Classic in merlot & black. it was, and remains, the MOST beautiful Ultra I've ever seen. I wanted that Ultra sooooo badly, and to this day see it like it was 5 minutes ago. And it had ABS like I wish my '04 had.

But, reality set in, I got hold of myself, forced myself to walk away. I knew, deep inside, I would be buying the sizzle and not the steak. I knew what a sweet bike I had parked right outside. It was "just right", runs beautiful and with the set up she has will hang with a 103 any day. What would I be getting? 5-6 years of much higher payments and the regret of the sweet '04 I dumped after taking years of getting her perfect. Now, every time I ride (or just about) my thoughts flicker back to that beautiful merlot & black Ultra, and I am so glad I have my '04, my "forever bike". Someday, maybe, I might sell her. No. I can't see it. But who can say.

I kind of look at it like being married. Your '09 Ultra is like your wife. The initial romance isn't there so much, the sex isn't as new and exciting, it's a known quanity, so to speak. But also like a wifr, love grows deeper and richer over time, matures and improves. The CVO is the hot red head in the sexy pencil skirt (not a taky mini skirt-it IS an Ultra). It would rock your world-for a while. But before you jump, look at what you have, give it careful consideration. it took you 3 years and a lot of "love" to get your Ultra just right, to make it your bike, unique to you. The CVO is one sexy red head, wouldn't mind a weekend with her myself. Take your Ultra out for a long ride, just you and your bike, give it careful thought, then make your decision.

Mike

Old 03-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PghCycle24 makes some good points. It's a matter of how thick your wallet is and, most importantly, what are you gaining. Harley's don't change that much year to year. Yes, bigger engines, heated grips, etc, but basically they don't change that dramatically. So, in this case, you are getting a really cool paint job, chopped tour pack, bigger engine, etc. And, you are getting bigger payments, higher insurance cost,etc. Again, your wallet is the determining factor not what you need or want. New things are nice but come with a monthly payment price. Advice you asked....check your real needs and wants and with your financial adviser. In mean time, ride the 09 and think it over. I always found that little voice in the back of our heads tells us what we should really do.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The other side of the coin. The saying goes "if you don't die in debt you wasted your life". Only you can decide what you want to do. Remember to, buying the bike won't be the end of it. You'll want all the added items you took 3 years to put on your '09. I have a '09 and I'm quite attached to it but should the right bike come along, it's a done deal. Personally I wouldn't be to excited about the bike having 5000 miles on it already as you don't know what happened during those miles and I like to think all the miles on my bike are mine. What's the difference in price between this 2011 and a new bike with no miles on it. Good luck deciding!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

$17k trade in is pretty optimistic, keep in mind all those things you added to your Ultra you will never see a dime on trade in for those things. I'm a guy that buys what he wants. I don't get attached to Bikes or Vehicles, frankly I never understood that. I buy what I want as long as I can afford it. I say go for it if it trips your trigger. Or you could keep reading 4 paragraph responses about why you shouldn't do it when you could have that new bike sitting in your garage.

Last edited by KCFLHRC; 03-14-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

I say take about $8K and put it into your 09 and you will have a better bike for $25K versus the $32K (got the $25K by adding 8K to your "trade in value"). You know your bike, and for $8K you can do a lot.

New paint and a 107" kit won't even get you to $8K.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:22 AM
crackers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought here but putting 8k into your bike gives you nothing in return on a trade.....it just goes to the next owner who doesn't have to pay for it. Two sides to a coin

Quick Reply: Trade my 09 Ultra for an '11 SE?