Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 electra glide slip-ons

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 PM
2012Fatso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 electra glide slip-ons

My dad just bought a 2012 electra glide classic and wants to put on some slipons. My question is if it needs to be tuned from just slip ons or if it is fine without. Also what do you recommend that cheaper and not to loud?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Go with Rush. Nice Harley sound & you don't have to be loud. Can usually get them right at the Harley dealer's. They have different diameter baffles also. The smaller the diameter, the quieter. I've had mine on a dyno, but I've heard if you go with a 1.75" or 2.0" baffle, you won't need the dyno tune. Look up Rush. They're pretty easy to talk to.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

that bike also has a cat in the header pipe, which hugely affects the sound.

Many riders have the cat removed or swap header pipe.

some of those are then happy with the stock mufflers as they are less restrictive than past models.

This is also way easy on the wallet.

cat-gutting photo tutorial can be found by searching

If the exhaust is changed but the stock restrictive air cleaner in place it is probable than no tuning compensation be needed.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-13-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out Wild Pigs. They sound very much like Rush, half the price. I have a set on both my '04 Ultra and my '08 FLHTP. The baffle choices are: 1 3/4", 1 7/8", 2", 2 1/4", and 2 1/2". The baffles are easy to change, so if you don't like one set, call the company (live person) and they'll send you another set. The quality is very good, sound is great-true Harley rumble. Run 2" baffles on my Ultra, 2 1/2" on the police bike. Love 'em!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master

BTW-my '08 FLHTP 103ci is stock all the way. You don't have to tune the bike with just slip ons. As long as you aren't changing the air cleaner to a high flow type, putting a set of slip ons with 2" baffles won't change the ehust flow enough too make a difference. I checked with our fleet mechanic before installing the Wild Pigs on the police bike. He said it wouldn't affect a thing.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Go with Rush. Nice Harley sound & you don't have to be loud. Can usually get them right at the Harley dealer's. They have different diameter baffles also. The smaller the diameter, the quieter. I've had mine on a dyno, but I've heard if you go with a 1.75" or 2.0" baffle, you won't need the dyno tune. Look up Rush. They're pretty easy to talk to.
ditto my buddy just put a set of Rush slip ons on his new 2012 rgu with cat still in place and it sounds beefy as heck. anybody that thinks you have to have the cat removed to sound like a harley has not heard a set of Rush slipons. I could not believe it until I heard it.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012Fatso
My dad just bought a 2012 electra glide classic and wants to put on some slipons. My question is if it needs to be tuned from just slip ons or if it is fine without. Also what do you recommend that cheaper and not to loud?
You know this is funny. Probably dropped close to $25k on a bike, now I want cheap pipes and don't want to tune my bike either

Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
T Prescott
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The little sponsor at the top of this page will hook you up.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:50 AM
2012Fatso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Markymannn
You know this is funny. Probably dropped close to $25k on a bike, now I want cheap pipes and don't want to tune my bike either
Spent $19K and hes got alot of stuff so dropping all of his money on one thing isnt his style. Only reason he wants to know about the tune is so he can buy slip ons sooner than later.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Spent $19K and hes got alot of stuff so dropping all of his money on one thing isnt his style. Only reason he wants to know about the tune is so he can buy slip ons sooner than later.
Your dad doesn't need to get a tune to change the mufflers, especially if he leave the cat in place. Unless he's having serious issues with the heat, it probably IS NOT a good idea to cut out the catalytic converter. this is from a warranty standpoint as well as that it may then require tuning if combined with low restriction slip ons. A lot of members may post advising otherwise, but my sense is your dad wants to enjoy his new bike relatively stock (nothing wrong with that!) with some more Harley rumble at a reasonable price.

Have him check out the Wild Pig slip on mufflers. He (or you) can call them and talk to them directly, and they will anwer any questions you might have. My experience with them has been A+. $175 plus shipping, go with the 2" baffles. Be sure to re-pack them with quality packing prior to installation. The packing mellows the tone-nice on a class ride like the Ultra. PM me if you have any questions. I run the Pigs on my Ultra and on my police bike. The reverse slash cut on the Pigs looks great on the Ultra, and your Dad will love them, and at half the price of the Rush. I had Vance & hine and Rineharts on my bike before getting the Wild Pigs. The Pigs are better.

Quick Reply: 2012 electra glide slip-ons