Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Machine is a joke!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

I called pm 2 weeks ago with a super gas air cleaner install question. They answered right away & explained what I needed to know. Problem solved. Don't call anyone during bike week.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Bo Joe
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it that company now days just don't know how to treat their customers? By honest and communicate. Not too tough.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

YEa it's just Rick and yea if he's not getting back to you he's either sick or at bike week.
He's cool. He will see this through. We get these ideas that these are huge outfits with tons of people but it's pretty much just Rick press who handles this stuff.

I installed contour grips that would bind the throttle stuck open. It would rub inside the switch housing. It too was a manufacture issue where they pressed the part into the grip too far that goes inside the housing. It caused the throttle to bind. Rick figured it out. Made it good.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:26 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You bought an item from a private party, found out it had a flaw, and referred the issue back to the original manufacturer.

It appears to me your issue is not with PM, but with the guy you bought the item from.

If a manufacturer agrees to step in and make things right by us...third parties...under these circumstances, dude, we ought to be thankful for it, in my opinion. If they've got an unconditional warranty on their stuff, that's another thing. But most places have 90 days (or maybe a year) to the Original Purchaser only...

PM is doing you a favor to respond to you, and take care of this. It sounds like they are proud (no sarcasm) of their stuff, and want to make sure it's right.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 03-13-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM
PowerSmoke
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thenewrage
I bought a brand new fuel door from a forum member a couple months ago. He ordered the wrong one and it so happened to be the one I needed for my 07 sg. I got around to installing it a few weeks after I got it from him as it was still freezing at that time in Mn. Put it on and it didn't fit. I called Rick at Pm (nice guy) and I told him that it was a machining problem and he said no its not and that pm never ever has maching problems. Ok ok so what you want me to do Rick? He says try this try that........... and I did and still no go. The fuel door will not properly reach the strike plate and it wont lock or stay shut. He has me mail it to him. I called him a couple weeks after he recieved it to find out what the f**k was going on?
He finally got back with me and said that it was a machining problem.

WOW!
I dont know about the service--because I didnt bother to call them,
But I do know I bought the same fuel door, and it wont fit for ****...
I have fiddled with it for several hours--moving screws, bending this & that aound--it just does not line up properly. You have to slam it hard to get it to engage, and then once it does, it wont pop open, it open just enough to get your finger under the edge to pull it up...
Thought it was just me... what a POS...

Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
You bought an item from a private party, found out it had a flaw, and referred the issue back to the original manufacturer.

It appears to me your issue is not with PM, but with the guy you bought the item from.

If a manufacturer agrees to step in and make things right by us...third parties...under these circumstances, dude, we ought to be thankful for it, in my opinion. If they've got an unconditional warranty on their stuff, that's another thing. But most places have 90 days (or maybe a year) to the Original Purchaser only...

PM is doing you a favor to respond to you, and take care of this. It sounds like they are proud (no sarcasm) of their stuff, and want to make sure it's right. To bad-mouth them here, like this...I think it's not the right thing to do.

Alan
Did I make the part? Nope. Did i list the part to fit his bike due to the PM saying it would fit? yes. Do I make hundreds and thousands of these for motorcycles across the world? Hell no

Did I sell him the part? yes. Would I if I new that it wouldnt fit correctly and called PM myself and handle the issue? Yes

So guess what PM has a issue with there parts, I have been in contact with OP and told him I would help with whatever I could. You sir I dont believe have any experince with custom parts. They cost alot and should fit out of the box no matter who you buy them from.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Bgill
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

[QU
OTE=AlanStansbery;9519004]You bought an item from a private party, found out it had a flaw, and referred the issue back to the original manufacturer.

PM is doing you a favor to respond to you, and take care of this. It sounds like they are proud (no sarcasm) of their stuff, and want to make sure it's right.

Alan[/QUOTE]

I see this same as you! Always found PM and RSD to be top notch and very professional.

Too bad we only get to hear 1 siide of the story on these forums.

Its a used part and might be the wrong item for the model year.

I have a 2004 FLHTCSE and a 2009 FLHTCU both have PM fluted fuel doors both went on easy and fit like a glove.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I take a couple of things out of this. First, the forum member who sold the part certainly appears to be a stand-up guy who is trying to work with the buyer to make it right. Good on ya for that, sir.

Second, PM is going above and beyond to try and make this right, even though they don't really have an obligation to the purchaser of a second-hand part.

The risk you take by buying parts second hand, and especially if you then let the part sit on a shelf for several weeks or months, is that you might have nothing more than an expensive paper weight with no recourse to make it usable for your needs. The obvious solution is to buy new parts, from authorized dealers, and take it up with them if you run into problems. Part of the cost of the markup you're paying for is for that piece of mind.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bgill

I see this same as you! Always found PM and RSD to be top notch and very professional.

Too bad we only get to hear 1 siide of the story on these forums.

Its a used part and might be the wrong item for the model year.

I have a 2004 FLHTCSE and a 2009 FLHTCU both have PM fluted fuel doors both went on easy and fit like a glove.
Guess what the part was brand new. I received it and realized I ordered the wrong one after I got on this forum and asked some questions. shipped it to the OP the day after I received it. so I guess my question is what's considered brand new to you?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-i-stupid.html

Last edited by piesik650; 03-13-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Ganno57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get this. I run a large machine shop and we sell parts both retail and wholesale, about 50,000 - 55,000 pieces a month. I don't give a rat’s *** where you purchased the part from. If the part is not right then the part is not right. Just because he bought the part from a consumer does not mean that the manufacturer’s responsibility stops. If the part is not right, replace the damn thing, including the shipping. Make the consumer happy, even if they think your still an a$$hole.

Quick Reply: Performance Machine is a joke!