Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild1 Chubbys bars - CRACKED !!!! Wtf !

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 PM
stetler
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild1 Chubbys bars - CRACKED !!!! Wtf !

Well I bought my bike last year from the original owner who had it on consignment at a local shop around the corner from my house. When I bought the bike I had the shop adjust the bars forward more So I'm guessing they would have cought this earlier if they were damaged then.

Last month I took my bike to the local Harley dealer to have Cruise Control installed. The next day they called me and told me that my bars were cracked in several places and I'll have to replace them.

It took me a week to find a set of bars and get them shipped out to CA. When I picked up my bike from the dealer I asked for my old bars. (see pics) .

Now I went on Wild1's website and they back up there bars with a warranty against flaws and these bars surely do have the flaws. But you must be the original owner of them. This really sucks because I don't have the receipt for them.

After seeing these cracks from normal easy riding I really want to bring it to there attention.
it really sucks that I had to fork out another $400. for new bars because these Wild1 bars failed to hold up to there quality.

I haven't contacted Wild1 yet but have any of you guys ever had issues with there bars??
Think they would back up there bars and give me a new set??

It would be nice to get a new set and sell them to a member on here for half price. At least I could try and recoop some of my loss.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 PM
stetler
Banned

a few more

Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

That is no good. Did your bike have the single piece top clamp installed? THis will certainly make me think twice about their bars.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:46 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kingomtn
That is no good. Did your bike have the single piece top clamp installed? THis will certainly make me think twice about their bars.
Great question on clamp!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 PM
stetler
Banned

Yep. It had the 1 piece clamp installed. just like your suppose to do on the 07 RK bikes.
I should of took a pic of that before I threw it away. Clamp looked good.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:57 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting. I'll be following this myself....

Old 03-12-2012, 11:12 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain

It's too bad you threw the clamp away. Being the engineer sort, I would be curious to look at a couple things on it. Those are obviously stress cracks from movement. If the bars were originally installed with the one piece top clamp and properly torqued the soft aluminum "bites" into the knurled portion of the bars. This keeps the fitment in a way a solid piece. Now, if the clamp was not properly torqued, or perhaps when adjusted, simply had the cap nuts loosened a little and the bars rotated, thereby galling the aluminum cap and relieving the interference fit I can see problems.
Those appear to be pretty tall bars and if you tend to pull back, or push forward on the bars while riding there is a tremendous lever arm concentrating movement at the base of the bars and if that clamp is not tight the moment would look for the weak point (the wiring outlet) to fail. Wild 1 should take heed and check those out, perhaps trade you a replacement for the purpose of considering a thicker tube diameter and a better method of increasing rigidity at the mount.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

chances are whoever installed em did not use the top solid clamp for the risers

Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kingomtn
It's too bad you threw the clamp away. Being the engineer sort, I would be curious to look at a couple things on it. Those are obviously stress cracks from movement. If the bars were originally installed with the one piece top clamp and properly torqued the soft aluminum "bites" into the knurled portion of the bars. This keeps the fitment in a way a solid piece. Now, if the clamp was not properly torqued, or perhaps when adjusted, simply had the cap nuts loosened a little and the bars rotated, thereby galling the aluminum cap and relieving the interference fit I can see problems.
Those appear to be pretty tall bars and if you tend to pull back, or push forward on the bars while riding there is a tremendous lever arm concentrating movement at the base of the bars and if that clamp is not tight the moment would look for the weak point (the wiring outlet) to fail. Wild 1 should take heed and check those out, perhaps trade you a replacement for the purpose of considering a thicker tube diameter and a better method of increasing rigidity at the mount.
That is exactly the problem. If the bars were not clamped down with enough force, the pipe takes the pain at the weakest point which is the wiring hole.
If I were building apes or mini apes, I would re enforce the area's that I compromised with the cuts.
the chrome flake seen in one pic shows that it is single layer coating & not the highest quality out there. I am going to guess that they have a supply contract with a lil Chinese guy who sells them box's full of bars & they put their company logo on them!
Don't throw them out, weld them & save them for a different bike!
Hatch.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I would contact them, and try to get them replaced in good faith, saying that you must
have just misplaced the receipt. Email the pics to them with this request.
They should want to know this stuff, and hopefully they might feel bad enough
to give you another set.

Quick Reply: Wild1 Chubbys bars - CRACKED !!!! Wtf !