Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windsplitter, clockwerks or a good pair of glasses

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012 | 08:20 PM
Wpittman
|
Cruiser
Default windsplitter, clockwerks or a good pair of glasses

Well riding this weekend on my FLHX with stock windshield. My glasses bouncing all over my face driving me nuts. So i used to ride a fatboy no windshield ever, glasses didn't move...Now the buffeting is driving me crazy im 5'9" and really like the low profile looks of the stock shield. But the buffeting is killing me. Do i buy a new shield? Like the short windsplitter will it help or the clockwerks. I don't want a tall shield. Or do i invest in a really expensive set of glasses, will they stay put. The bouncing really wears me out.

Old 03-12-2012 | 08:40 PM
one-up
Road Warrior

The only reason H-D puts that 4" windscreen on the motorcycle is for the "cool" factor, because it's worthless. I had a '10 SG and went to a 10'' Freedomshield in dark gray. I'm 6'3'' and the 10'' was good for for me. You could probably get by with an 8'' and be comfortable It didn't look as cool as the 4'', but somewhere along the line you either sacrifice some "cool" for "function" or you continue to get beat up (I wouldn't try to fix the problem with expensive sunglasses).

A number of the windshield vendors will let you try them out and if you don't like them, you can send them back (just pay shipping costs).

Old 03-12-2012 | 08:57 PM
plutnicki
Road Master

I'm 5'8" and a 6.5" Klockwerks make a noticeable difference, amd it doesn't look completely out of place for the style factor. I got mine used.

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:14 PM
TRMRC
Cruiser

I tried em all - I also like the look of the short stocker on my FLHX - however , as everyone stated , it sucks. I'm 6-1 , have a mustang day-tripper seat with 12.5 bars, I like to sit 'In" my bike - I went with the National Cycle Vstream ultra Low - Its awesome, Well made and isn't so "curvy" Nice clean air for me.
Here is a pic:

Last edited by TRMRC; 03-12-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-12-2012 | 09:15 PM
Glidedog8
Intermediate

Your going to need a taller windshield for sure, I'm 6'1, and the 6" harley shield gets the wind over my head. I think you'll find the biggest problem comes from beneath the tank, around the turn signals. I just put the adjustable fairing wings on, and it solved 90% of my problem, I still think I'm going to try the Hd windsplitter too.

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:16 PM
bobgv
Road Warrior

What he said.

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:20 PM
bobgv
Road Warrior

Klock Werks 6.5 should be good for your height. I am 5"11 and un a 6.5 and get some wind but doesnt bounce my glasses off my face anymore and the dark tint looks like its made for the bike. Although I would like to run an 8.5 to see how much better it is.

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:20 PM
GotHog?
Intermediate

Check out National Cycle. I have the Ultra low V-Stream in smoked and like it a lot. Price is about $100 so not too bad. I am around 5'9" myself.

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:28 PM
dan11809
Tourer

Originally Posted by Wpittman
Well riding this weekend on my FLHX with stock windshield. My glasses bouncing all over my face driving me nuts. So i used to ride a fatboy no windshield ever, glasses didn't move...Now the buffeting is driving me crazy im 5'9" and really like the low profile looks of the stock shield. But the buffeting is killing me. Do i buy a new shield? Like the short windsplitter will it help or the clockwerks. I don't want a tall shield. Or do i invest in a really expensive set of glasses, will they stay put. The bouncing really wears me out.
Buy a leash for your glasses and and tighten it up, cheaper than a windshield.

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:36 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

I'm 6'1" with a stock seat. I tried a few sheilds (up to 10"). I settled on the Windsplitter. It looks the best (imo), and won't bounce my glasses. I still get a bit of buffeting on top of my head ...but a few miles into it and i"m slouching anyway. Not nearly as bad as the 4" stock though! You want smooth ..you have to go 10"!

Quick Reply: windsplitter, clockwerks or a good pair of glasses