Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable or nonadjustable backrest that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable or nonadjustable backrest that is the question

I'm looking at installing a rider backrest on my RK Classic, but am unsure whether to go with the adjustable one or the fixed one. Being able to lean back a bit with the adjustable one is quite appealing to me, however is it worth the extra bucks??

Old 12-23-2006, 01:43 AM
celtic king
Cruiser
Default RE: Adjustable or nonadjustable backrest that is the question

I have a bad back and was looking for a seat that was both comfortable and support for my 2004 Road King

I have tried both styles you mention and just received my solo set with adjustable/removeable backrest in time for xmas, I went with mustang very comfortable, and actually lowers your seat height down about 3/4 to1 inch as well as the nose being shaved doesnt bow the legs so much.
I went with the removable so when I wanted I could take it off....

Celtic king
So Calif

Old 12-23-2006, 01:56 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

custom07rkc.
after reading some posts have ordered theADJUSTABLE backrest. some guys here write that you may or may not have some issues with angle or whatever with the NONADJUSTABLE. They say(if im currect) can be modified by heating and bending .I dont want to mess with that fix.... better to have and not need vs need and not have?
orderedfrom chicogo hd $239.20 ordered yesterday! Its discription states that it has easy removal and easy passenger mount(flips forward) so except for a little control sticking out from bottom of seat you cant go wrong...I hope. will keep you uptodate when it arives 1-3 weeks?

Old 12-23-2006, 02:54 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Not only worth it, but Mandatory.....Face it, every rider is different, every back is different, every seat is even different. WHY wouyld you want the same fix for every situation? It just doesn't work. You ride differently than I do, your angler and height of the backrest needs to be different than mine. If we buy the Non-adjustable, One of us is gonna be unhappy...Spend the extra, get the adjustable, and then you can dial it in to the way YOU ride. This will give you better comfort, and longer time in the saddle.

ORIGINAL: Custom07RKC

I'm looking at installing a rider backrest on my RK Classic, but am unsure whether to go with the adjustable one or the fixed one. Being able to lean back a bit with the adjustable one is quite appealing to me, however is it worth the extra bucks??

Old 12-23-2006, 03:26 AM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the adjustable. I find myself adjusting it to different positions based on how much I want to sit up or be closer to the handlbars.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:53 AM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the non-adjustable. Its pretty easy to change the position to get it where you like it. The backrest is removable for when you don't want it. Less money than the adjustable one too.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:17 AM
PSO169
Road Master

Try out the adjustable backrest. I had the non adjustable on my Road King and spent the extra $$ on my Ultra for the Adjustable, I think it was worth the extra $$$.
Jeff

Old 12-23-2006, 11:58 AM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You will enjoy the adjustable back rest, I have one to accompany my Mustang dual touring seat. Never really liked them and in fact kind of sneered at rider backrests UNTIL I rode with one. My seat / backrest combo was the best money ever spent on a bike. My @ss & back thank me everytime I ride.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the Mustang seat with the removable/adjustable backrest.

As someone above said, "It's the best money I've ever spent on the bike." That pretty much sums it up...

I find myself adjusting it on long rides, I have to adjust it when I change from a t-shirt to a thick jacket, etc.

Edmo