Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with which splice to install ignition disable...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help with which splice to install ignition disable...

I've got 5 choices as described in the instructions for splicing in the ignition disable of my Scorpio Alarm. I will list them and I am looking for suggestions on which would be the most logical and exactly where do I locate the wire (and color?).

Options:
1) Positive lead wire or ground wire on fuel pump
2) Positive lead wire on fuel injection system (note: I have a TFI installed)
3) Positive wire that goes to the ignition fuse in fuse box.
4) Ground wire from ignition module
5) Positive wire from ignition module to the ignition coil

Maybe not necessary: pics are above and beyond but would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 AM
plazaam
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splice in to ignition wire

Originally Posted by jacknthebox
I've got 5 choices as described in the instructions for splicing in the ignition disable of my Scorpio Alarm. I will list them and I am looking for suggestions on which would be the most logical and exactly where do I locate the wire (and color?).

Options:

Thanks

Did you ever find which wire to splice in to for the ignition disable on the scorpio alarm? I'm about to do the same for my scorpio install. I know which is the fuel pump based on the connector but was wondering if its better to tap the disable in to the actual ignition wire. From looking through the wire diagram it appears to be an solid gray wire, but not 100% sure and don't want to cut only to have to fix it if its the wrong wire. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Subscribed

Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Bump.....let's hear it peep's I for one and interested. When I used to watch Son's of Anarchy and see Jacks shut his bike off with a switch above the rear passenger peg I used to think, " That would be handy". If you end up doing it, try to post pics and a DIY tutorial for those like myself.

Last edited by TUCCI; 04-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Me personally I'd use option #3. That wire is grey coming out of the fuse box off the ignition fuse. Obviously this wire is crucial to your bike starting so I'd also opt to not do anything other than solder and heat shrink it.

Option #1 is not bad either. That wire color is orange/grey in color coming off the fuse box fuel pump fuse as well. My issue with this is the bike will still start but will die shortly afterwards since the fuel pump is not active.

Originally Posted by jacknthebox

Options:

Thanks

Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM
plazaam
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ultranutz, I ended up going with the orange/gray wire going to the power of the fuel pump. I figured this way if something with the scorpio module or wiring went wrong the bike would start to sputter off and hopefully give me time to react and get out of danger, at least that's the justification I made for going that route.
Also instead of cutting the main wiring harness wire that is under the tank, which I contemplated, I sliced open the black cover that goes around the fuel pump wires which is attached to the center console that sits on top of the tank and spliced in to the orange/gray cable there. That fuel pump harness is an easy replaceable piece, so if I messed up bad I could replace the harness cheap and easy. Further, if I ever sell the bike I can remove the scorpio alarm and just replace that harness, allowing me to transfer the alarm to new bike. Splicing in to main harness wires under the tank is a lot less forgiving and not flexible.
Sorry tucci but I didn't take any pictures. The work was actually very easy, just need to remove the seat, unplug the fuel pump harness which is on left if facing the the dash, cut open the black cover that wraps the fuel pump cables, cut the orange/gray cable and splice in the scorpio anti hijack wires, then tape it all back up nice and tight for protection.
It took me longer to work up the courage to cut in to the wires than to actually do the work.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:03 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by plazaam
Did you ever find which wire to splice in to for the ignition disable on the scorpio alarm? I'm about to do the same for my scorpio install. I know which is the fuel pump based on the connector but was wondering if its better to tap the disable in to the actual ignition wire. From looking through the wire diagram it appears to be an solid gray wire, but not 100% sure and don't want to cut only to have to fix it if its the wrong wire. Any help is appreciated.
SORRY plazaam - I didn't see your post. I ended up taking the bike to an indy my brother uses and he did the splicing - I know he chose to splice into the fuel pump, but I couldn't tell you any more than that as I didn't watch the process. I see you chose to do the same - glad it worked out for ya.