Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noticed a issue, am i the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I've had several people at work stare at my pipes because they aren't sticking out the same length. I leave them that way just because it bothers them. It's only an issue if you want to make it one.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Dr.ultra2010
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mines a 1/8 out also......

Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 AM
woodtick50
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Left nut hangs a little lower than the right, but I really haven't been too concerned with it cause they work just fine. I don't think there would be much of a performance increase by taking a hammer to them either, especially for appearance sake.
Originally Posted by shortride
I had that problem once upon a time.

the older you get the lower they will hang..

Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Harleybar7
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to mess with my slipons when I had my stock head pipes (also an 11 SG) It was simple. Do as others have mentioned,, loosen clamps and mounting bolts. However I had to also loosen the crossover pipe clamps so that everything could be put in A happy place and tightened down .Otherwise it just wanted to fight back. I'm with ya man, I'm **** about crap like that , drives me nuts.
Good luck with it, should be an easy fix.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:07 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

They all are like this. I even showed the salesman at the dealership and they had never noticed it before. He couldn't believe it until I showed the issue to him on their own floor. All their touring bikes were lined up side by side and they all had the same issue. I think it has to do when they designed the crossover. I haven't measured it, but I'd be willing to bet that if you took the slip-ons off, you'd see a difference in the positioning of the ends of the head pipes too.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:47 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CHILLLS
mine do the same thing. i have adjusted them a couple of time but they wind up back in the same spots every time. i probably need to replace my clamps but am holding out for the big louie pipes . i have the rush 3.5" now, great pipes.
so this brings me to my question do you happen to have a picture of the back of your bike so i could see how the 4" rush pipes look back there???
thats the slip ons im running, im happy witht them but they were loud enough out of the box so i had to modify them to my liking

Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

See, I really hate threads like this 'cause I'm OCD by nature, then I gotta go out in the garage & check my ****, & I always wind up finding other issues. Then I gotta go to my dealership & look at all the other similar bikes on the floor to see if they have the same issue. Fortunately, my pipes are OK.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by oppirs
You noticed that too! Mine were off by a 1/2" (1986) but similar WTF. Used a piece of 2/4, pounder her in. It worked to a 1/8" off, no-one but me will care!

I can see it.... Wouldn't be caught on something like that.... [JK!!]

Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine used to be uneven

Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sargek
Maybe the slipons are on each pipe a different depth? I check this whenever I install my mufflers. You should be able to adjust this by loosening the muffler clamps and mounting bolts under the bags. I center mine by making sure the hanger under the bags is centered between the two brackets on each muffler, if that makes sense.
I will second this method.

Quick Reply: noticed a issue, am i the only one?