Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride with Dresser Duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:24 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,575 Likes on 1,499 Posts

If I had an 09 without the cat I would have stayed with the stock header. Since all three of my last touring bike came with the CAT in the header. Getting rid of it,and going with true duals was the first thing I did on all of them. To me there is no downside to it,cooler,sound,looks,and power.

Old 03-12-2012 | 09:33 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my V&H Dresser Duals and Monster Ovals...no complaints and awesome looks and sound!

Steve

Old 03-12-2012 | 10:39 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 893 Likes on 387 Posts

I've got the same setup.
Sounds absolutely amazing.
In my opinion that's what a Harely should sould like.

And yes it really wakes the engine up.

Old 03-12-2012 | 11:36 AM
02Flstfi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the V&H Dresser duals as my first change when I bought my Ultra in July 2010. The differrence in the heat alone made the purchase worth while. I have since added V&H Turn Down slip ons and the sound and power are GREAT!

Old 03-12-2012 | 12:54 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My DD's came with 2 sets of gaskets and 2 cross under brackets. The number stamping (brackets) is nearly impossible to see and I may have used the wrong one since there is a tiny diff in the level between both mufflers. Not a big deal but I wont swap until I get a new HD clamp cuz there's nothing more annoying than an exhaust leak chirp. I have the Monster Rounds and really happy with the sound. Some say same as M Ovals. D Duals increase loudness but not to a annoying level at all. I love the stereo rumble when I blip the throttle and the se204 cams is icing on the cake.
Counting stock I had 4 different exhausts and liked em all. This setup I like most and now,at least for awhile I can move on to other mods.
SC

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:06 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have power duals with 4" Rineharts and it sounds like a Dragster when I open it up. Deep rumble but not that back/forth Lope that a Harley has. I like the sound.

Wife recently purchased an '02 RK Classic with Dresser Duals and 3.5" Rineharts. A little more of the crisp pop that Rineharts are known for but definitely has the lope and sounds fantastic.

I'm sure there's power to be had with other exhaust but the sound is nearly worth the lost in a few HP/TQ.

I will add that I tried to remove the right side to install the easy pull clutch adapter inside the trans housing. Holy *(#)* I don't know they got it installed but I gave up and will try it another day. Granted it's probably been on there seizing itself on for the past few years. I couldn't get a socket on the header flange to save my ***. Tried loosening the shields to give me enough wiggle room but it wasn't happening. Not to thread hijack but if there are any of you with DD's that have any tips she (and I) would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by SDVmnt; 03-12-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2012 | 04:04 PM
bwiningr
Intermediate

Lilman

I agree i took my first ride yesterday with the new dresser dual, its like a completely differnet bike. I should have done it before i brought it home from the dealer. Better response, better sound and no heat from cat.

If anyone is thinking about doing it, just do it

Originally Posted by Lilman
A couple of weeks ago I removed the old headpipes and added V&H Dresser Duals to my existing Monster Ovals. Yesterday I finally got to take it for a first ride.

Impressions? Why the hell didn't I do this 30 minutes after I bought the bike!

Not sure if it was the duals or changing the PCV map but in my opinion the bike now rides like it should. More power through the entire band but especially in the 3k to 4500 RPM range. 6th gear roll ons are much better than with stock head pipes. The right side heat is WAY less than stock!

This is a change well worth the money and time!

As with almost any V&H products I have used, the install was straight forward and quality was high. Like a dummy I didn't read the directions and realized I should have installed the heat shields BEFORE mounting the pipes. It's difficult to do after the fact, but possible. If I were to do it again, I would order 2 new clamps for the mufflers also. Mine had been on there for 2 years and were a PITA to get back on correctly.

One word of caution for anyone considering this mod, DD's coupled with Monster Ovals are about 1/4 louder than stock with MO's. Not obnoxious but definately louder, especially when you wind it up. Personally I like it!

There you go, good investment and relatively easy mod for anyone who is somewhat mechanically inclined and has a good tool assortment. Some things are metric, some standard. Ughhhh, wish they would quit that!

Only thing I experienced is it seems like the idle may be a bit higher, seems to hover at around 1000 to 1100 even hot. I'll look into that this week sometime. Not a big deal.

Hope this may help someone who's thinking about it.

Later.......

Old 03-12-2012 | 04:27 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Absolutely love my D\D coupled with the V&H Hi-Output mufflers. My bike now sounds like a Harley & as stated the fit & finish are great! Worth every penny!

Old 03-12-2012 | 04:56 PM
asahi1234
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thumbs up for the V&H dresser.

Old 03-12-2012 | 05:24 PM
whiskyls1
Tourer

Aside from everything else everyone has said, the Dresser Duals look the best as well.

Quick Reply: First Ride with Dresser Duals