Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need some help, running like crap after fuel filter change

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Maybe the o-ring got messed up when installing the new filter? I'd pull it all out and check the regulator as well. You also might want to check the fitting under the tank and where it connects inside the tank. Did you have a problem bending the arm to get it back in or did you finagle with it for a while?
Yep, checked the o ring, nothing weird there. what should I look at on the regulator? I did not bend anything, I just wiggled and turned it until I got it back in. I have everything apart now, incluing the other tube that connects to the bottom of the tank (screws on to the tank has the quick connect) checked it for holes with low volume compressed air in a bucket of water, no holes/cracks

One thing I just noticed is the rubber end by the fuel pick up (see pic) looks boogered up. could this be my issue?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Is it possible I got a bad fuel filter?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
One thing I just noticed is the rubber end by the fuel pick up (see pic) looks boogered up. could this be my issue?
What is the purpose of that?
Forgot what mine looked like.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
What is the purpose of that?
Forgot what mine looked like.
Not sure what the purpose is, but here is what it covers.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,221 Likes on 1,838 Posts

That is just a rubber spacer on the bottom of the pump housing. I don't think that would be your issue. Hopefully you figure it out and it's just something simple that you messed up upon reinstall.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

I think I have everything put together correctly. Here are a few pics, take a look and see if anything looks wrong.

If all looks good, I will reassemble, but since I have the bottom convoluted tube out, I will fish that up through after I get the top portion on, that way I will be sure that I'm not pinching it some how.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks good ,good luck.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
Maybe the o-ring got messed up when installing the new filter? I'd pull it all out and check the regulator as well. You also might want to check the fitting under the tank and where it connects inside the tank. Did you have a problem bending the arm to get it back in or did you finagle with it for a while?
Thanks Dawg,

I checked the regulator, wasn't real sure what I was looking for, but found that the large O ring was not in correctly (I have no idea how that even happened). It's kinda boogered up, so I put another one in there. The ones I have are a hair bigger, or a hair smaller, the larger one would not seal, so I put the smaller one in for now. I will probably go to the dealer tomorrow and buy the correct one.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

I put everything back together, went to fire it up, and it wouldn't start. Just my luck. I went back over everything and found that I neglected to hook the hose coming from the tank to the injectors. . . . . .Whew, once I saw my bone head move, she fired right up and runs as it should!

What an ordeal for such a simple job. I had this thing apart and back together more times then I want to admit. I guess the positive in it all is that I can change out a fuel filter in about a half hour now.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Look at it this way. Now you have intimate knowledge of your fuel system and know it was done right and didnt pay someone else to do it!

Quick Reply: I Need some help, running like crap after fuel filter change