Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! Speakers are hissing

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The speakers are hissing?
Maybe they don't like the music you play.

I had this same problem with a car and an iPod.
You need an electrical interference filter.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a $15 one that fixed it.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeTag
Yes, even when it is off.
Yeah ok like others have said adjust the gain if the amp has one......

Old 03-12-2012, 11:35 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by piesik650
Ground would be my first choice, does it change when you turn on a blinker or hazards? you could have voltage or interferance causeing it. and I always try to keep my ground wire less then 18" long. are you runing a factory deck? or do you have RCA imputs into the amp?

Another thing its always a good idea to use dialectric grease in all your conectors.
Factory deck no RCA. Ground is to tree approx 18-24" long.

I will check it again tonight and the gains.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's hissing when the radio is off it's PROBABLY because the amp "on" input is not connected to the radio "amp switch" is not connected. Power should only be applied to the amp when the radio is on. Radio has an output that applies a low voltage to the amp that turns it on. I know because I did the same thing on my last bike.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
JoeTag
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mark98012
If it's hissing when the radio is off it's PROBABLY because the amp "on" input is not connected to the radio "amp switch" is not connected. Power should only be applied to the amp when the radio is on. Radio has an output that applies a low voltage to the amp that turns it on. I know because I did the same thing on my last bike.
I am sorry but I am not sure I understand. I connected the turn on input to the cigarette lighter. When I shut the radio off, the amp fan is still running. Is this what causing the problem and if so where do I connect the Turn On input? Is that output located on the back of the stock radio?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:12 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JoeTag,

Sounds like you have it wired correctly (as far as the turn on input). Verify the ground as said earlier. If your ground input on the triple tree is hard to get to then do what I did which is wire the ground to the center screw for the engine guard.

Mike

Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, now I'M confused. I thought I read that you do not connect the "power on" wire?
I thought it senses power to the speakers and turns on by itself?

Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark98012
Please provide details. My understanding, confirmed by Iron Cross Audio, that there is no wiring from the HK head unit that is energized when the radio is turned "on" and "off" when the radio is turned off. In fact, ICA offers a service to install such wiring for customers. There are two power wires to the HK head unit; one supplies modest voltage for retention of pre-sets, etc., and the second a higher voltage to the HK when the unit is turned "on."

Per Akitakoi's reply, and if IIRC, the Arc amp uses an input from the HK head unit via the inputs to turn the amp "on" -- no other wiring is required; the amp turns on when it receives the audio signal from the HK.

Carl

Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 PM
JoeTag
Road Captain

I tried to remove the Turn On wire from the cigarette lighter and the amp does not come on. I guess the power sensed from the speaker wires is not enough.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of ARC amp is it? Does it have a gain setting?

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! Speakers are hissing