Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install question Quick Detach lower fairing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Install question Quick Detach lower fairing

I recently purchased the Detachable Fairing Lower Hardware Kit (part# 58146-07). I am a firm believer in following instructions and usually it saves me a lot of headaches.

For those of you who have installed this there is a part in the instructions that doesn't make sense to me. Step 5 says "Remove three T20 TORX screws to release glove box door and glove box tray (3) from fairing lower. Do not remove vent door (11) from tray."

What is the purpose of this step? Removing these three TORX screws allows the glove box and attached adjustable fairing vent door to basically fall off the main fairing lower. The instructions continue, showing how to attach the lowers to the crash bars using the new detachable hardware but they never instruct the user to re-attach the three screws listed above in step 5. It seems to me that the glove box (outer, inner, and attached vent door) would then fall off the lower while riding the bike as there would be nothing there holding the parts together...

If you installed this part, did you ignore step 5 in the instructions or does it serve some purpose I just can't picture?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:30 PM
radar27615
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrax
I recently purchased the Detachable Fairing Lower Hardware Kit (part# 58146-07). I am a firm believer in following instructions and usually it saves me a lot of headaches.

For those of you who have installed this there is a part in the instructions that doesn't make sense to me. Step 5 says "Remove three T20 TORX screws to release glove box door and glove box tray (3) from fairing lower. Do not remove vent door (11) from tray."

What is the purpose of this step? Removing these three TORX screws allows the glove box and attached adjustable fairing vent door to basically fall off the main fairing lower. The instructions continue, showing how to attach the lowers to the crash bars using the new detachable hardware but they never instruct the user to re-attach the three screws listed above in step 5. It seems to me that the glove box (outer, inner, and attached vent door) would then fall off the lower while riding the bike as there would be nothing there holding the parts together...

If you installed this part, did you ignore step 5 in the instructions or does it serve some purpose I just can't picture?
Just saw your post when I was doing a search. I have ordered the kit and was wondering if others had put on this kit. I did find the following and I believe the instructions in question were for someone who had installed the glovebox kit. http://www.baggersmag.com/tech/1106_...t/viewall.html