Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with unknown wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:53 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

[QUOTE=WSRyda05;9506724] Everytime I got up to 85-90mph I got a crazy wobble.
I've never experienced this before and it kind of freaked me out. Today I actually rode with my windshield on the bike (05 Road King), could this have caused some of this? Could it be my suspension in the rear? My tire psi was good (38psi in front and 40psi in rear).
/QUOTE]
I would remove the shield to see if it makes any difference.
Not that it could be the problem,but isnt the tire pressure suppose be 36/36?

Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
If it is a straight line wobble the odds are it is the screen, tire or head bearings, third link will not make a difference.
agreed, I'd start with neck bearings.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,833 Likes on 19,327 Posts

Deductive reasoning would dictate that if you've not had the problem and then added the windshield .... well, you get where I'm going .... loose neck bearings are most noticeable during deceleration and usually show up as a mild slight wobble ... just my .02 cents worth.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Even with the windscreen on it shouldn't happen, at least it hasn't on mine.

New apes? Did you change the bushings or are you still using the stock rubber ones? I've felt a lot of wiggle on some of them with the rubber bushings still in place and I'd imagine the windscreen could cause a wobble if there wasn't enough firm feedback from the bars.

If they are poly bushings and properly installed, neck bearings, fork oil, wheel balance would be all on a check list I'd have if it were my bike.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 with loc-tite, but if your bike doesn't have the one piece bar clamp #55918-08, you might want to give this old thread a read. has some info on ape's, check out Kbore's info. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/groups/188-ape-hangers.html

Last edited by vtwinbob; 03-11-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 PM
WSRyda05
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loc_Tite
Even with the windscreen on it shouldn't happen, at least it hasn't on mine.

New apes? Did you change the bushings or are you still using the stock rubber ones? I've felt a lot of wiggle on some of them with the rubber bushings still in place and I'd imagine the windscreen could cause a wobble if there wasn't enough firm feedback from the bars.

If they are poly bushings and properly installed, neck bearings, fork oil, wheel balance would be all on a check list I'd have if it were my bike.
I have the same bushings on, never changed them.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 PM
WSRyda05
Advanced

[QUOTE=1flhtk4me;9508145]
Originally Posted by WSRyda05
Everytime I got up to 85-90mph I got a crazy wobble.
I've never experienced this before and it kind of freaked me out. Today I actually rode with my windshield on the bike (05 Road King), could this have caused some of this? Could it be my suspension in the rear? My tire psi was good (38psi in front and 40psi in rear).
/QUOTE]
I would remove the shield to see if it makes any difference.
Not that it could be the problem,but isnt the tire pressure suppose be 36/36?
It was my first time I rode with the windshield and the first time I felt this. So today I'm going to ride without the screen and see how if goes. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:00 PM
WSRyda05
Advanced

[QUOTE=WSRyda05;9508830]
Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me

It was my first time I rode with the windshield and the first time I felt this. So today I'm going to ride without the screen and see how if goes. I'll keep you guys posted.
So today I went out and didn't put my windshield on. Much better ride other than the wind beating me in my chest and riding white knuckled lol. I didn't experience any wobbling. I do plan on getting a stabilizer.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

[QUOTE=WSRyda05;9510689]
Originally Posted by WSRyda05

So today I went out and didn't put my windshield on. Much better ride other than the wind beating me in my chest and riding white knuckled lol. I didn't experience any wobbling. I do plan on getting a stabilizer.
I suggest it is worth experimenting a little more. As an example, if you are stretching, even a little, to reach your bars, there will be some circumstances when you grip them tighter than usual, which can change the way the bike behaves. If the windshield causes increased noise that will also tend to make you grip tighter.

I recommend you try a few more rides. Check that without the windshield you really are comfortable and relaxed. A small adjustment to the bars will help if you are not. With the windshield attached study noise levels. If you think it sounds noisy and also if you feel that wobble at all, try some ear plugs. I really do mean that!

Increased noise makes us tighten up. Plugs cost a few cents at your local gun shop, even some bike dealers stock them. If the wobble goes away, adjust your bike a little at a time, to help you relax and remove the tension. It may cost you no more than a pair of earplugs and a little time!

I assume that everything else on your bike is in top shape.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

If you only experienced the wobble on a straight road with the shield on,you may not need a stabilizer.

I thought the stabilizers were for eliminating the wobble in big sweepers?

Quick Reply: Help with unknown wobble