Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close Call and How You Avoided it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Pattrolling
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Close Call and How You Avoided it!!!

In order to improve my riding experiences, I would like to hear about your "close call" and how you avoided it.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Timekeeper10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my girlfriend left 5 minuets before my wife got home.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timekeeper10
my girlfriend left 5 minuets before my wife got home.
That is as close as it gets.
After that, I got nothing!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:18 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are far too many to list -- You avoid them by (Oh God, this is going to sound cliche') paying attention, anticipating and acting. "See, Evaluate, Execute" as they say. "Always have an out" as they say.

Just today -- in a turn lane on a divided road when suddenly, a black Hummer is aimed right at me. Couldn't go into the other lane - Jumped a small low-curb area and zipped onto the other side of the road. Probably took a second - Another second and I'd be a H2 hood ornament.

Keep your wits, assume (A) you're invisible and (B) everyone is trying to kill you. Getting out of sticky situations is almost a reflex when you anticipate it. It's the ones you don't anticipate that will get you.

Granted -- I didn't anticipate the Hummer. So add "Expect the Unexpected" to the list. That was just plain freaky. In hindsight, I understand how it happened (afternoon glare, not expecting the road to be divided as it was, etc.). You could taste the terror... Sweet, sweet terror.

But seriously -- People are going to turn out in front of you. Around here, if you aren't inches from disaster somewhat regularly, you aren't riding. Animals are going to run out at you. Occasionally, you might find a large SUV heading directly for you in a turn lane. Preparing for it is 90% mental - and the other 50% is a combination of 70% physical and 43% dumb luck.

Dumb luck: On a S-curve sweeping to the right in the left of 3 lanes at ~50MPH. Two left-turn lanes to my left. Winnebago in the close left turn lane decided he didn't want to turn left and cranked out into my lane. Car to my right was accelerating and wound up right alongside me.

This turned into one of those terrifying ultra-slow-motion things --

I started pulling to the right to avoid the Winnebago -- Just like the normal human reflex -- "Hit the smaller target" (which is why motorcycles get slammed into in "either-or" situations more than cars) was going through my head. And honest to God, somehow I had enough time in that fraction of a second to see that my highway pegs weren't three or four inches from either vehicle as a cranked the throttle as I've never cranked it before.

Can't believe I didn't soil myself right then and there. Made it to my destination just a few miles away and started with the shakes and palpitations. One of those moments where it was *so close* - I had the right reactions and made the right moves - But in the end, it was luck. If that guy would've turned just a touch harder or came off the line just a whisker quicker, I'm firmly convinced I wouldn't be sitting here reliving the terror in my mind right now.

I've actually stopped twice while typing this and went outside for smokes.

Next time, I'll write about the time where during heavy but fast rush-hour expressway traffic, a semi swerved into my lane without even looking and I locked up both wheels on fresh (oily) asphalt...

FTR, that was on a Tuesday. That same Saturday, I picked up my '11 EGC with ABS.

Last edited by JohnScrip; 03-11-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 AM
piesik650
Road Warrior

Got on the bike to go get a can of chew in 2008. I was less the 1/3 of a mile from the gas station. so I said the hell with it I am going to just go. In my flip flops. Yeah I know I am dumb blah blah blah, but think about the last time you cut a corner? Now I am -1 on the left foot. and it reminds me everyday. Along with the constant pain from the impact of that Volkswagen jetta that broke almost every bone in my foot.

So my recommendation is to ride in equipment that you minimize the chance of injury in. I still choose to not wear a helmet. but I gaurantee you I ride in boots now.

Last edited by piesik650; 03-11-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

[QUOTE=JohnScrip;9507178

Keep your wits, assume (A) you're invisible and (B) everyone is trying to kill you. [/QUOTE]

I agree that these 2 thoughts are key. I would add never underestimate the stupidity of the cager. I have had people slow down in front of me, put their right blinker on, and then when I go to pass them on the left they turn left. Luckily I had left enough room to get around their right side.

I had a farmer pulling a wagon, in front of me on a State 2 lane, turn left without looking right in front of me. If I was younger I would have been passing him at that moment and t boned his engine. Instead I was waiting to see what he would do, and passed him after his blind turn.

So basically prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 AM
HolePuncher
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like pro athletes, it helps to visualize your reactions to what might happen. Constantly "what if" while you're riding. When it comes to **** hitting the fan you will only react because you don't have time to think.

Just this morning I was behind a mini-van making a right-hand turn. The van stopped unexpectedly. Without thinking I dove left and locked the rear brake and slid full lock with my left floorboard scraping. Got off the brake and hit the throttle and dropped it to the right and locked up the rear brake again. I stopped about two feet beyond his bumper on the the driver's side. It happened so fast I didn't even get an adrenaline dump. My fault for not anticipating. I ride a lowered FatBoy.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First thing is..... don't be stupid. Second thing is..... watch out for stupid people. They are everywhere. Third thing is..... practice maneuvering your bike. Being able to control your bike will save your life.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 AM
PadreL
Club Member

My wife and I each have a bike (I have a Road Glide, she has a Deluxe). We each also have a Scala Rider G2 headset. Last weekend we rode to Tarpley, Texas and returned home via Bandera. I was leading and had moved from the left lane to the right. She was just about to do the same when I yelled into the headset, "DON'T DO IT! STAY PUT!" Some asswipe in a pickup truck was passing her on the right. I had been watching my wife in the rear view mirror, and she did all the right stuff - checked her mirrors, turned her head to look, then proceeded to go. The pickup behind her (who was riding her *** and pissing me off) decided to pass her on the right immediately after my wife turned her head forward after checking behind her. My wife had just started her move into the other lane and immediately swerved back after my warning.

Use of the headsets certainly saved her.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a pretty observant rider and generally have plenty of time to stop in anticipation of the retards in the metal boxes, the key is to always be looking around you otherwise the bastards will get you.

Quick Reply: Close Call and How You Avoided it!!!