Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OH NO! Another warranty thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:50 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OH NO! Another warranty thread!

Hey guys and gals,

I'm wanting to get some horror stories, or happy stories regarding extended warranties.

My manufacturers runs out at the beginning of April and i'm eye-balling an extended. The things that have gone wrong in just the 2 years I have had the bike are as follows:

Volt gauge
Compensator
Stator
Shift shaft seal
Exhaust leaks
and am about to take it in for what I think is a starter issue.

I have around 35K on the bike now. It's my everyday transportation, so in my eyes the extended warranty is something I need to get.

I have read all of the fine print, and as long as I keep really good records of receipts and service intervals when I perform my maintenance I can't foresee anything getting denied.

I know HD offers one and another company called Zurich offers one. The main 2 differences are that the Zurich warranty covers Indy shops too, not just HD Dealers like the HD warranty. And HD has to be paid in full while there is a payment option with Zurich. The payment option doesn't really matter to me, but having warranty work done at my local Indy would help them out.

OK, so give me your (those that have a warranty) thoughts and stories if you got em. Zurich and HD.

Please, don't comment the usual "well it's insurance and there is a larger chance of not needing it, than needing it." and the like. I'm fully aware that I could go the next 5 years without any problems, I'm mainly searching for any stories that will cause me to choose HD over the 3rd party Zurich or visa versa.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

just make sure you really read the fine print regarding mods. some warranties would be void simply by adding a stage 1. would suck to pay all that money and have it denied if you needed it...

Old 03-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my 07 SG I got the HD Ext Warr as well... Dealer gave me a good discount. It has paid for itself already & I have 4 yrs left.

Compare the fine print of the HD vs Zurich warranties. HD will do the Warr paperwork for you, I dont know about Zurich. The talk to your local Indy & Dealer to make sure they will accept Zurich before you buy. Some Indys may want you to pay full for it then you have to file the paperwork...which can be a pain.

If all is good, go with the best deal for you.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:49 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I think you'll find the ESP is not Harley-Davidson but a 3rd party.

H-D and the Dealer get a piece for their endforsement/ sales/sadvertising of ESP for that 3rd party company ( which may vary by State or region.)

You are a fine print reader so you'll be ok.

Use that fine tooth comb to make sure that you won't have exclusions for mods ro parts used already or in the future.

( and before someone rants about magnuson-moss warranty act, etc. etc. it has nothing to do with extended/aftermarket/3rd party warranties)

Mike

Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had both, Zurich is about the same as the HD , but it seems that there was an adjuster that had to look stuff over more the Zurich, that bike was stolen, and the new one I got was with HD.
If it is your daily transportation I would get it, but it seems that you have fixed everything that can go wrong in the next 5 years ,or so , but then you have seal leaks, and the like that will only cost the $50.00 to fix.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Dr.ultra2010
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like your thinkn LMmarine86,thats what im going to do,too many long trips not to have it, im going w/HD warranty..........

Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having my second compensator being replaced now. Two tires replaced (one with a 90 mile tow) Tranny main shaft bearing replaced, Lifters replaced, Rear compensator bearings replaced, fairing brackets replaced and alternator rotor replaced. I still have a year left on it. I estimate it has paid for itself three times over

Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

On my 07 I had 5 years ESP and I use the crap out of my bike and the ESP list is way too long and as long as you keep it all Harley you are in good hands and if you start modifying with 3rd party cams or other performance items well then you are on your own.My original 5 years expired on Feb 20th but I bought 5 more years on the 16th and O boy am I lucky or what drop my bike of on March 13 for leaking oil from primary and goose neck acting in high speed turns.Next day got call from the shop stater magnets came loose damage the front engine sprocket, chrome inner primary, chain tensioner, inner primary bearing little worn and SE compensator damaged close to a grand or maybe more it's not finished yet and goose neck bearing were toasted and is pretty close some where $ 400 to500.00.So long story short I already got back what I paid am so glad I did.That's why I always say if you are going to ride the crap out of it buy it otherwise buy more polish and spend more time cleaning it.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

If you cannot perform your own maintenance, and since you drive 15K per year, and since you have already had a few minor issues with that bike, you will probably be better off with some kind of extended warranty. You don't have to buy it from a local dealer, there are a couple of dealerships that have been mentioned here on the forum that will sell you one at a good price if you are interested. Do a search. Coverage is independent of where the contract is purchased.