Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire mount/balance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhis
The weight fell off while your bike was in the garage; imaging while the wheel spinning. The only cause that the weight did not stick to the wheel was the tech guy was a lazy crap. Clean the wheel thoroughly with alcohol before apply the weights, and no way they will come off.
I wouldn't go back to that guy!
It's just me of course, but I change tires by myself.
Yeah, I thought of that too. The weights came off because they weren't making contact completely with the wheel, due to the ridges on the Deuce wheel. The guy that did the job has worked on the bike several times before and has always done a great job. I've never had problems with him. When I figured out the reason the weights came off, I told him about it and he gave me the $4 it cost me to buy different shaped weights. I didn't ask for the money, I was just letting him know so it wouldn't happen to someone else.
No harm, no foul. I'll go back to him before I go to the local dealer that screwed up my pipes.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool weights

I had problems with the adhesive type weights on stock spoke, chrome? wheels and cleaned with alcohol and they just would not stick.. 2 times I fount a weight on the floor at the tire. The building would get up to 110 degrees and I figgered a couple of days would destroy the adhesive. Started using Dyna Beads and just fine. What convinced me of the heat, had a pair of old work boots with crepe soles hanging in the building and the heels released from the soles. Just fell clean off. I then placed a fan to blow on the Black Beauty on hot times. Don't know about her, but I felt better about it. I think she does ok when winter gets below freezing. No, wife won't let her in the house.

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 03-12-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool dyna beads

Where is the information Dyna Beads will void the tire warranty?

Last edited by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE; 03-12-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

from Dunlops website.

15 - Wheel Balance

It is essential that tire/wheel assemblies be balanced before use and rebalanced each time the tire is removed or replaced. Unbalanced tire/wheel assemblies can vibrate at certain speeds, and tire wear will be greatly accelerated.

All Dunlop street tires should be installed with the balance dot at the valve. Wheels may be balanced with spoke nipple weights, lead wire or self-adhesive rim weights. Consult the motorcycle manufacturer for approved wheel weights.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of dry or liquid balancers/sealers and will not warrant tires into which these materials have been injected. Tire and wheel assembly balance must be checked with a balance stand or computer wheel balancer.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
bubdifab
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skratch
shop fees are a flat fee that is applied equally to everyone's ticket, not prorated by the job. one guy (like the op) may feel overcharged by it, while the guy who had a complete tear down and rebuild may feel like he got a bargain (well, a bargain as far as you can get at hd).
I didn't necessarily feel overcharged, I just thought it was bs that they didn't disclose it in the quote to me originally. It went from being a half hour of labor for 40 bucks, to almost 60 out the door. I'm in sales for a living. When there is a charge I disclose it. But, fwiw I won't pay 60 bucks agin.