Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire mount/balance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the warranty goes just remove the beads before taking the tire in to have it looked at . Nothing they can prove that there was ever anything in the tire. I haven't ran them in my V YET but once I replace the rubber on them they will be going in. I ran them for years on Dirt and even longer on street before my break .

And for me it's not the expense it's the They Hold Truer for the Life of the Tire. Weights do not. If you have even just a small weird wear (normal for many tires) the Balance will be off in no time, If a weight falls off it's not balanced anymore. Yes they are also Ugly but I don't wash my bike that much as I would much rather be riding so That doesn't bother me as well.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:32 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

that is a lot of weight for a car rim.. ether the rim is bent, the tire is way out, or the guy balancing it had no idea. my guess is a combination of the second two. i would take it back and tell them if they don't have any one there that knows what they are doing, they need to give you a refund so you can get it mounted and balanced rite somewhere else.. if the tire cant be balanced any better then that by turning it on the rim, then the tire is bad.. when i worked at the bike shop,we sent about 1 tire a month back to the supplier because it was so out of balance..

Last edited by j1mmy; 03-11-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

most of those lead weights come in 1/4 ounce segments. so if you had 8 segments they probably figured it was 2 ounces.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:31 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

i use dyana beads and you dont need no stinkin kit just put them in before you set the bead

Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 AM
ultra5516
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think somethink else is going on causing the tire and wheel to use so much wheel weights! I would look into it a little more, As for me I just found out about dyna beads from The Powder Pros and I will trying them for the first time. My front tire lost the weights that were on there, the tire was cupping,(first front tire replacement) and the rear tire was never re-balanced after when they replaced the tire in Sturgis. So it's dyna beads for me this time.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 AM
bubdifab
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtclassic
most of those lead weights come in 1/4 ounce segments. so if you had 8 segments they probably figured it was 2 ounces.
There are 12 weights. 2 on either side, 8 across the rim.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bubdifab
There are 12 weights. 2 on either side, 8 across the rim.
ah I see that now that I looked more closely at the photo.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bubdifab
there was an additional $12.00 "shop fee" they never told me about.
Ya,12 bucks for shop supplies seems extreme for just a tire change.I could see it if it was for motor work.

So the 12 bucks covered some tire lube,air and a rag?

Old 03-11-2012, 12:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Ya,12 bucks for shop supplies seems extreme for just a tire change.I could see it if it was for motor work.

So the 12 bucks covered some tire lube,air and a rag?
shop fees are a flat fee that is applied equally to everyone's ticket, not prorated by the job. one guy (like the op) may feel overcharged by it, while the guy who had a complete tear down and rebuild may feel like he got a bargain (well, a bargain as far as you can get at hd).

Old 03-11-2012, 01:52 PM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default reply

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Dyna beads are reusable and there are other brands that are cheaper. Weights have been around forever and they have their problems too. It probably doesn't matter which method you use.

I don't think it is uncommon to see 3 ounces of weights on a Harley wheel. Maybe they are just not made very well but I've seen it a lot over the years.
I'd second that, poor quality, no doubts, try the Dynabeads. On my spoked 21" rim, 1 weight on a spoke and the spokes are rusting, Ive tried everything but seems all I can do is clean & coat with polish till they start rusting again. Seems twice a year I need to cleaner up.

Quick Reply: tire mount/balance question