Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire mount/balance question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
>>> That alone didn't wouldn't stop me from using them but if you compare the cost of a Dyna bead kit at $14.95, I can but enough lead weights to last me several years for $4.99.<<<
If you change your own tires...they are reusable.. Mine are in a 3rd tire now...so the price is going down each time I reuse them..

Ever try reusing wheel weights...lol

Old 03-10-2012, 08:15 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dyna beads are reusable and there are other brands that are cheaper. Weights have been around forever and they have their problems too. It probably doesn't matter which method you use.

I don't think it is uncommon to see 3 ounces of weights on a Harley wheel. Maybe they are just not made very well but I've seen it a lot over the years.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The only weights on my wheels right now are the glue pads that were on the bottom of the lead because the lead fell off. I don't see any cupping or have vibration through 95 MPH so I guess I won't F with it for now. New rear tire going on in a month and can't decide on the Dyna beads or lead. I didn't know DB voided the tire warranty. DB doesn't tell you that in their adds. The ball bearing balancer is out because it is Fugly and way too expensive.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

3 ounces of weight is acceptable on bagger tires. I have used as much before and it did not matter how I moved the freaking tire on the rim. On the other hand some times I have gotten by with 1/4 ounce on the same brand tire (Dunlop). Here is a little trick to try some times. put 5000 miles on your tire and check the balance again. It will be completely off.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search Dynabeads for opinions. I have 'em and like 'em. They are good to be re-used, so advertised. I don't think I have seen a complaint about them. Seems like tire must be off the floor when installing. About 20$ for both tires and eliminates UGLIE weights.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ImNoPrince
Dyna beads and toss the weights . You take it back they are just going to charge you more or not do it correctly.
any truck servicve center sells balance beads. measure out 2 oz and forget em.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with about everything said here. I didn't know that Dyna beads were reusable. I would like to try them someday, old habits are hard to break and lead weights are old school. I have every reason to believe that Dyna beads work as advertised.

There is a school of thought out there that claims that balancing a motorcycle tire is all overkill. The theory goes that the gyroscopic action of a motorcycle precludes any need to balance a tire on a two wheeled vehicle. I don't know if I buy it or not, but the poster that said his weights fell off and his tires still look great would seem to add some validity to that train of thought.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

The Deuce rear wheel has ridges that run from the rim edge inward towards the center of the wheel. When I had my rear tire replaced last summer, the indy did a nice job of balancing it, using four 1/4 ounce weights. One day I was working in the garage, about 5 feet from the bike, and I heard a 'ting'. Couldn't figure out what the noise was. A couple of days later I was sweeping the floor and found a wheel weight laying right where the rear wheel always sits in the garage. Yep, the weight just fell off while the bike was sitting there. I never noticed any vibration in those two days that the weight was missing. Stopped by the indy and had him put a new weight on. A week later I'm sitting on the floor next to the bike doing a basic nut and bolt check when I hear 'ting'. Yep, another weight just fell off. Turns out that the weights were square, very much like the weights in the OP picture and weren't making full contact between the wheel ridges. A quick trip to the local auto parts guy, a quick spray with rattle can chrome paint, and the new weights are still there.

whew! Kind of long, sorry guys.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I myself would not be pleased. Thats nasty lookin'. My Buell has Pirelli Dragons with no weights. When I talked to the dealer that mounted them, he said that was normal for those tires. They run smooth so he was correct. I run the bike up to 130 mph with no issues.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 03-10-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duecedog
... I heard a 'ting'. ... the weight just fell off while the bike was sitting there....A week later...Yep, another weight just fell off.
The weight fell off while your bike was in the garage; imaging while the wheel spinning. The only cause that the weight did not stick to the wheel was the tech guy was a lazy crap. Clean the wheel thoroughly with alcohol before apply the weights, and no way they will come off.
I wouldn't go back to that guy!
It's just me of course, but I change tires by myself.

Quick Reply: tire mount/balance question