Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please. Traffic light sensors don't know I am there.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Several states let you go through vehicle actuated lights after a certain amount of time. I carrry a laminated copy of the WI law on my bike so Barney Fyfe doesn't taser me.

Check your state.
Here is the Virginia Statute:

§ 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.
<<<
B. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction

Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

There are several devices on the market for this. One is Green Light Trigger which comes in two strengths. I bought the strong one $24. I also got ahold of one of those big magnets that car dealers hook license plates to and stick on the trunk. Zip tied it in front of the oil pan, tucked up between the rails. Those two magnets plus riding ALONG THE CUT SEAM on the sensor area will change 90% of them

Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
That doesn't work down here in South Florida. Neither does reving the engine. Stopping right on the grid line or in between the grid line when a sensor is off. Down here the cause is the amplifier not adjusted properly or not working at all.

In June 2010 I waited for two cycles to go straight at this one traffic light on my then Super Glide. In the past, even my Gold Wing trike wouldn't trigger this one particular traffic light to go straight.

Anyway, I went through this light after waiting 2 cycles and was safe to do so. FL hwy patrolman saw me and pulled me over. I stated what I written above. His reply was I didn't wait long enough. Keep in mind I'm on a hot running Harley with the air temp over 100 degrees in the middle of the afternoon.

I get cited with a $239 ticket. Later that night after midnight I went back to that traffic light with my wife and a video recorder. She recorded the traffic lights in all direction change for all other vehicles. However my light wouldn't trigger for the direction I wanted to travel which was straight. I'm recorded waiting 6 minutes till I couldn't stand the engine heat anymore, without the light changing.

I took the video to the town's main traffic engineer. He viewed the video and had a crew and himself go out to the intersection. He emails me back saying there's nothing wrong with the traffic light. I asked him if he was on a motorcycle, he emailed saying no. Duh!

This went on for two weeks with crews being sent out and he asking me to try it out. No joy!

I asked that the town replace the amplifier, he stated the town didn't have any spares and they weren't getting anymore since they're upgrading to fiber optics. My wife calls our own town and talks to the town engineers asking if they had an amplifier. They did and they gave it to the town which was next to ours. The engineer happened to be a biker

Now get this, the town's engineer of the offending traffic light did a discovery. He found that the traffic light sensor was reinstalled 20 feet further back than the exposed grid was, due to false calls when someone just made a right on red. Then it was paved over years earlier. His advice was to stop 20 feet behind the stop line if alone. LOL! Are you kidding me?

The new amplifier gets installed later that week and now any bike will trigger it within 45 seconds.

I take my video and emails to the judge. I present my case intelligently with respect. I even caught the patrolman in a lie but didn't call him on it. I just gave him the evil eye. Judge ask why I didn't just make a right on red. I pointed out that FL Statue states it's illegal to do that to avoid a traffic signal. Judge was surprised by the "catch 22". I also presented evidence that this was happening across the country and the remedy was to allow bikers to go through a red light carefully after waiting a reasonable time.

Judge tells me he'll review all I presented then will notify me by mail of the outcome. 6 weeks later court letter, NOT GUILTY!

I learned to make a note of traffic light issues, then call that towns engineer noting point of contact, time & date. This way it's on record and if they don't correct it and I'm caught going through a red light, I now have my defense till the laws change for us bikers.
CPTdenny my hat's off to to you. Justice prevails. You fought the good fight and won. It's a shame you had to devote so much of your time to defend yourself, when the LEO could have exercised some discretion, listened to a reasonable expalnation for your actions and gone on his way to deal with someone who presents a REAL threat to public safety. Oh well. You and I live in the real world, and obviously the judge does too.

The law and the enforcement of law should come down to being fair and equitable, "doing the right thing". Not everybody in the profession gets that. CONGRATULATIONS! Ride safe.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:18 PM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tencrore
Here's what I picked up at my dealership;

http://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html

Although, I don't think I paid that much. Maybe they've increased the prices.

Works very well! I installed it under the left floorboard and have never been stuck at a left turn light alone.

Hope this helps
Just ordered this. There is a light at the intersection of Hwy. 82 and Hwy. 90 on the way to Tombstone that I always have to set at for several cycles and as I ride down there at least once a month this should come in handy.