Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery disposal

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:47 AM
SteelCityRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery disposal

If you order your battery online, what do you do with the old one? I seen the thread on here about ordering online, good prices but need to dispose of the old one.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My city has a yearly waste disposal day, so I use that. You might want to contact a local recycling center, they may take it. Even check with a local automotive store or a local indy car shop, they might take it.

I've heard AAA offices might have local drop off centers, but not sure.

Just some ideas...

Found this from AutoZone...

At AutoZone, we're dedicated to protecting the environment by providing drivers with a safe and easy way to dispose of used oil and batteries. Every AutoZone store accepts used batteries for recycling and 95% of our stores accept used motor oil. See your closest AutoZone store for details. Last year, AutoZone recycled more than 8 million batteries and 9.5 million gallons of oil. That's more than any other retailer in America. Get in the Zone and recycle today.

The following users liked this post:
JDJ66 (09-02-2019)
Old 03-08-2012, 06:02 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Throw it in a local river.
JK, Call ur townhall/landfill most takem for free.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:21 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can call your local sanitation department and they most likely can tell you where to take the old batteries. Without trying to sound like a total tree hugger, we do need to be a bit responsible about disposing of batteries.
When I lived in the Detroit Michigan area, they had a specified day of the week you could take batteries to a location that collected them. When I lived there, you better not get caught putting an old battery in the trash. Even flashlight batteries could get you a fine.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Auto Zone
Pep Boys
Sears
Walmart....
They all get money for their batteries...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

Originally Posted by riteway
Auto Zone
Pep Boys
Sears
Walmart....
They all get money for their batteries...
+1 take it to them

Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelCityRider
If you order your battery online, what do you do with the old one? I seen the thread on here about ordering online, good prices but need to dispose of the old one.
Since you appear to live in the Pittsburgh area you could check out the following.

http://www.goinggreenpittsburgh.org/...-resources.php

This one may even pay you for a old battery

http://www.castriotametals.com/metal/carparts.html

Last edited by vzts4q; 03-09-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
NativeTexican
Road Captain

my local recycle place pays like $5 for them.

Or take it to Wal-mart up it in the exchange pile and leave. If someone is watching you get a new batter place it in a basket push it around and then leave it somewhere in the store and leave. By the restroom works cause you can you leave the basket outside the door and then just forget it when you walk out of the restroom.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NativeTexican
my local recycle place pays like $5 for them.

Or take it to Wal-mart up it in the exchange pile and leave. If someone is watching you get a new batter place it in a basket push it around and then leave it somewhere in the store and leave. By the restroom works cause you can you leave the basket outside the door and then just forget it when you walk out of the restroom.
That is a well planned out caper you got there. Made me laugh. Sounds like you've done this before at Walmart.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:40 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shortride
You can call your local sanitation department and they most likely can tell you where to take the old batteries. Without trying to sound like a total tree hugger, we do need to be a bit responsible about disposing of batteries.
When I lived in the Detroit Michigan area, they had a specified day of the week you could take batteries to a location that collected them. When I lived there, you better not get caught putting an old battery in the trash. Even flashlight batteries could get you a fine.
We have a big pit here and after it is half full of old batteries we throw the tree huggers in it. LOL

As before stated almost all of the Auto Parts stores now will take them. They finally realized they could actually make money off of oil and batteries. There is no fee to you for them to take the old stuff. This is because most cities now have a disposal plan for both if you call them and it is also free. Like Auto Zone above who got $5 each for 8 million batteries they take advantage. I don't think any of them would take it if there wasn't any money in it. Scrap yards will pay you for them $3 to $5.

Quick Reply: Battery disposal