Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luck selling with or wthout add-ons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Luck selling with or wthout add-ons?

Curious if any of you guys have had luck selling bikes WITH all the add-ons/extras or is it better to take everything off and sell cheaper and as close to stock as reasonable?

This is an '09 FLHR.

From a custom painted Dragonfly Fairing, 3 seats (Mustang and C&C), Ohlins (maybe 200 miles on em), bars, pipes, chrome housings, and a bunch of other stuff of course that I won't list here (bad form if I did I know), I have over $7,500 in extras on her. If I take most of it off and sell for 50% - 70% of list, I figure I could get $4k for various stuff...perfect condition stuff.

With trade being around $11k (only 11k miles), I hate to take the hit in a trade...so wondering if it's easier to sell "more" stock versus trying to get, say, $19k for it all loaded-up or ??. Just curious about your experience.

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I see it as usually harder to sell stock (oem) parts, so in some cases I have taken off an upgraded seat, luggage rack, windshield, and other bolt on chrome goodies and put the stock ones back on. Then sell them on here, ebay, craigslist.

Ride safe

Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 531 Posts

Are you trading the bike in?

If it were me, I would take off as much
custom or extra aftermarket items and then trade in the bike. Sometimes too much custom work will only appeal to the person who is selling the bike.

Most dealers (at least my dealer) really don't give anything extra for the non stock parts.

I'm sure other will chime in.

Good Luck & Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD

Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

There's a chance you can find the guy that has similar taste and is willing to pay more for your bike with all the stuff on it. Usually, we don't get any return from the "stuff" we put on these things. I have found that if you use genuine HD aftermarket items, it's slightly more attractive than, say, Kuryakyn stuff.

I have also noticed that significant engine modifications reduce the value of the bike because of the perceptions of what the owner put the bike through to get to that point and the perception that the owner was probably more aggressive with his treatment of the motorcycle than the rider of a stock bike.

It will take you time to remove the stuff, replace it with the stock stuff, sell the removed stuff, etc. Unless you are counting pennies, it usually ain't worth the aggravation.

All kinds of opinions on this question.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
sgnden
Road Master

Thanks you guys...

I think I'll just put it up for sale loaded-up and see what I get for a week or so...then if nothing good happens, I'll take it back to stock (or close to it) and sell for less. But the thought of dealing with all of that crap (selling the bike and the parts) does NOT appeal to me!

Thanks for weighing-in...always good to hear what has worked for others.

Later.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
lrubio
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 2011 FLHRC I was new to street bikes. My bike as stock and I thought it was the coolest looking bike around. It wasn't until I looked at other riders' bikes that I realized mine could look better so much better than stock. My point is a buyer who is new to Harley's wont notice most of the add ons. An experienced biker will want to set it up his way.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 PM
gringo1450
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost every bike I've sold paid out more $ if you sell the goodies separate. But like most things you have to work for it. Pull off the parts, put them up for sale and deal with the all the buyers and low ballers.

I would put it up for what you want and then if you don't get the offer you can live with start parting her out. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Last couple used bikes I've bought, I've ended up taking OFF more crap than anything else. Kuryakn rattly chrome junk motor covers, tacky lookin' air cleaners, spiked axle nut covers, cheap slip-ons, etc. Even got a bicycle horn with a squeeze bulb 'cause the guy I got my '96 FLHR from couldn't / wouldn't fix the horn.

When I buy a bike, I'm looking at motor, trans, frame, an such. I figure all the accys and what not are coming off and my stuff going on.

Got a garage of stuff I've taken off used bikes. Maybe I should put some of it up here or on eBay.... never know!

I'm not saying that's what you have on your bike, just sayin...

Last edited by TurkeyRun; 03-07-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: I'm not sayin' ....
Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 PM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by lrubio
When I bought my 2011 FLHRC I was new to street bikes. My bike as stock and I thought it was the coolest looking bike around. It wasn't until I looked at other riders' bikes that I realized mine could look better so much better than stock. My point is a buyer who is new to Harley's wont notice most of the add ons. An experienced biker will want to set it up his way.

Yeah - That's the way I think it is as well. I'll put it up at a fair price loaded (all top quality stuff - zero Kury, etc crap) and if it's no-joy, strip and go lower (so to speak). Ha.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had a problem selling a bike with umpteen add ons. I have never had to sell one with a custom paint job, that could be more difficult. If some of the add ons can be put on my new bike then I will remove them. Trying to sell any accessories that you remove can sometimes be a pita .

Quick Reply: Luck selling with or wthout add-ons?