Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheels need balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Arizona Mike
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheels need balancing?

An indy mechanic I know justified his lack of a wheel balancer by saying bagger rear wheels really don't need balanced. Could this be true? Anyone have vibration problems from not balancing their rear wheel after putting on a new tire?

Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go somewhere else. Ever rear tire change I get a balance and the spokes tuned/checked. I have felt the improvement in the ride when it needed it.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Arnold63
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arizona Mike
An indy mechanic I know justified his lack of a wheel balancer by saying bagger rear wheels really don't need balanced. Could this be true? Anyone have vibration problems from not balancing their rear wheel after putting on a new tire?
Dump that clown. There isn't a tire on the road that doesn't need to be balanced. Some may need no weight,but they all should be checked.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 188 Posts

So, what does he do for front wheels?
A balancer for bike wheels isn't an expensive piece of equipment.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 362 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona Mike
An indy mechanic I know justified his lack of a wheel balancer by saying bagger rear wheels really don't need balanced. Could this be true?
I say not true. I would be very surprised if the rear wheel assembly did not need balanced. I change and balance my tires and can say in both tire replacements on my 09 FLHT a *lot* of weight was needed to balance the rear. On the first replacement around 9,500 miles I was mounting a factory Dunlop replacement and it was so far out I quit after adding 8 of the large 15 gram weights! This was, for me, a record for a motorcycle tire being out of balance! Fortunately I just tape the weights to see what's needed first, so I took the weights off, removed the tire off the wheel, and balanced just the wheel/pulley assembly by itself to find the heavy spot. It wasn't at the valve but that's not unusual, what was unusual was just the wheel/pulley alone was over 3 ounces out of balance. I re-mounted the tire aligning the lightest part of the tire with the known heaviest point of the wheel and still ended up having to add just over 3 ounces of weights.
To put this in perspective, on my other bikes including the Dyna, it's rare when more than one ounce is called for. Nevertheless I balance them to within 3 grams (about 1/10 ounce)

Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I did notice that when I got my Michelin Commander II was mounted it only needed .5 oz , I thought that was strange, because he took almost 3oz off the wheel , but it was a dunlop tire before.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 PM
jrbean1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default try this

I use the danna beads in both front and rear tires. Now I am a true believer in them. My opionion is they are the cats meow!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill03E
I did notice that when I got my Michelin Commander II was mounted it only needed .5 oz , I thought that was strange, because he took almost 3oz off the wheel , but it was a dunlop tire before.
each tire has it's own balance, as does each wheel.

a great balancer will take the time to mount the heaviest point of the tire at the lightest part of the wheel ( usually where the valve goes).

the tires are marked for balance with a spot of yellow paint.

On my old Cadillacs, the specs are to balance the tire, wheel AND brake drum together to ensure the smoothest ride.

an out-of balance tire will oscillate and skip on the road surface, it is not only a comfort issue but traction control is compromised

OP, if you feel like running into town;

The Wheel Shop on McDowell and 18th street is pretty good and Moto Tire on Cave Creek at Sweetwater ( S of Stubbs) is doing good work at good prices.

Although MUCH to my surprise Arrowhead was running a sale last time I was shopping and they came in at the best price ( Arrowhead/Chandler and Tucson are the same group)

Mike

Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Rip the weights off your wheels and get some dyna beads.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Rip the weights off your wheels and get some dyna beads.
Have you tried them?

Quick Reply: Rear wheels need balancing?