Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air temperature gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I work on cars and bikes.

I am in the habit of glancing at the gauges once in a while.

oil pressure is crucial...and a lower than normal OP reading under hot conditions gives an indication of oil thinning out due to high heat.

But I really doubt that's I'd spend time staring at an oil temp gauge in the dash.

I do have the dipstick with led readout which give s a "pretty good" display of oil level and a very accurate oil temp.

I can reach down hit the button and glance at it at a stop or while riding it I am concerned

mike

Old 03-07-2012, 02:57 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

The only gauge I watch is the fuel gauge.....and sometimes the speedometer.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JokerJ13
Going digital would cure this problem all together.
Going digital would involve getting all new gauges because no one wants things on their bike that match.

On another note, I very seldom if ever look at the dang thing. If I'm sweating like a horse it's hot, if I'm colder than a witches teat in a brass bra it cold.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the uselessness of the ATG, but what about an air press gauge (assumming)key word, you could mount a small air pump in the faring or out of sight some where else and operate the rear shocks with it??

Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

..Plus, the OTG...you have to know whether the 'needle' is supposed to be ON the dash....to the LEFT or the RIGHT of the dash. I think someone may have posted awhile ago, how to turn the air temp gauge into an oil temp gauge. You of course, would ignore
the temp numbers, but only observe the needle. If the needle is in the middle, GOOD! Needle to the right, BAD.
My saying: "Go to a bike night/bike rally....and look at the number of bikes with oil coolers."
Don't worry too much about it.

Chuck

Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
bagger7
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a harley OTG on Ebay a while back, put the sensor in the extra plug in the pan. I also have a fan where the horn used to be, and 3 small brushless fans behind the oil cooler. The fans are wired to the aux switch on the dash. The fan that blows between the cly has the ability to lower head temps from 275 deg down to 215 deg in about 3 min. The reason I know this is I'm running the ThunderMax closed loop ECM. When I run the one of the required calibrations , the IAC cal , I must start cold and idle until the bike reaches 275 deg. This is done with my lap top and thunder max program. My lap top shows the head temp along with rich lean status rpm timing ect. The point is I have a small amount of control over cooling if I am caught in trafic. Or pulling my trailer in the mountains , running it hard. Yea I dont dwell on the gauge but it is good info. I am new to this forum just my experience

Dave

Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 PM
robert v
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: autometer 2543 (oil temp gauge)

Hello,

I'd like to install The Autometer "OTG". Has anyone tried the Autometer 2543?
Can you advise if there is a need for HD specific fittings/ or other mods to install this gauge in 06 EG. Are all needed parts included?

Thanks,
Robert

Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put the oil temp gauge in mine and just keep an eye on it so I can tell if something is going wrong , I don't worry about it or know hoe accurate it is but I know what normal is for my bike and just go from there

Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
I put the oil temp gauge in mine and just keep an eye on it so I can tell if something is going wrong , I don't worry about it or know hoe accurate it is but I know what normal is for my bike and just go from there
There you go. Exactly.

As for all you oil temperature obsessors, take heart....HD gauges are not precision instruments.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,230 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by avonflhtk
I think the ambient air temperature gauge on my Ultra is about useless. I've read where some people have replaced their's with an oil temp gauge. How useful is that and how hard is it to do? What are some sources for the gauges? Are there any other good options for that space? Thanks for any help.
No,you got it all wrong! Those air temp gauges are great! They let you know what you already know just so you'll know.

Quick Reply: Air temperature gauge?