Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burly slammer kit with bigger wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:14 AM
ace3d
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burly slammer kit with bigger wheels

hello all i just put new rc comonents wheels on my 99 king 21 front and 18 rear. looks great but it sits too high for me now. i was thinking of going with the burly slammer kit but im concerned about rear tire rub with the larger wheel. anyone tried this? thanks for the input

Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Black Sunshine
Cruiser
Default burly slammer rear

the burly shocks are internally limited with stops to keep you from going less than 9.5 inches, eye to eye, when fully compressed. so, support your bike on a jack or stand with the weight more towards the front wheel. lift the bike enough to get the rear wheel about 3 inches off the ground and still have the front wheel on the ground. I put a pry bar or a 2x4 under the rear wheel and position it so that when you pull up on the back of the bar or board that it will leverage the wheel up into the fender. make sure the bike is in gear when you do this so you don't slip and bang up the fender. loosen your lower shock bolts and rotate your shocks back and out of the way. once the bolts are removed and the shocks out of the way lift up on whatever you placed under the wheel and move the wheel up into the fender until you make contact with the fender or harness or whatever the first thing is to give you clearance issues. then, with a tape measure measure from the center of the top shock bolt to the center of the mounting eye on the swing arm. if you have 9.5 inches or less you will be ok. if you have 9.5 or less, move the wheel down until you get to 9.5 inches and block the wheel from moving down, at this point I would recommend pulling your side covers and taking a good close look with a flashlight in and around the fender and make sure all wiring, brake lines or any other stuff is not uncomfortably close to the tire or the swing arm and if you're ok then buy those suckers and stick em on.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Black Sunshine
Cruiser
Default burly slammer rear shocks

here's an update after a couple weeks of riding with the slammers on the back of the 12 SG.

no problems whatsoever. most of my riding has been in and around orlando without a passenger. shitty roads.

first thing I noticed, while on preload 3 (the middle of the adjustment range) was that it felt a little bouncy. like the preload was too strong. so I went down a notch. there it felt like the back end was too loose. I went up to the second highest setting and now it rides great. it is a bit more harsh than stock, but it's lowered and that can be expected. it doesn't clunk when I hit the end of the driveway and even with the lady on the back I haven't had any bottoming. that's with the 18 inch rear wheel and a combined weight of @320 pounds. 195 for me and 125 for the ol' lady. the ride actually feels better with her on the back, although it does make the front end feel very light when accelerating.

I knew I had the clearance to run the shocks, even with the 18" rear but was still a little nervous about the bigger wheel and clearance issues.

all in all I'm pretty happy with them. they're not for everyone, with the harsher ride and all, but the bike looks amazing. for that I'm willing to donate a kidney or two.

best of all I ride the same as I rode before the lowered stance and haven't dragged a bag, a floorboard or a pipe yet.

best thing is i bought them from Seminole Harley in Sanford and Freddy told me to take them and ride them for a couple weeks. if ya don't like them, he said, bring em back and I'll give you your money back. paid 169.00 out the door. not a bad deal.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 PM
2007SG
Advanced

Been some time since this topic started but my 2007 FLHX with 18" rear and metzler will rub at 9.5". Best to check as mentioned prior. Kind of a pain but better than having to rewire trust me.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:12 PM
chopper king matt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 21" front and stock size 16" on the rear of my RKC and she doesnt rub at all with the slammer kit on the lowest setting, best thing to do is undo the bottom or top bolts on the rear shocks whilst bike is lifted off the floor and see how much you can get the rear wheel up in the fender, then measure the distance you have to determine the actual movement you have before rubbing