Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Eyewear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Cme2c
I've been a optometrist for 30 years, so basically eyes & glasses are my life. Just a few basic facts about sunwear and motorcycles: 1) make sure you get either polycarbonate or trivex lenses - they are both practically shatterproof. Anything else will shatter when hit with a rock, etc. 2) Do NOT get polarized lenses for riding. They reduce glare off a horizontal reflecting surface. This means they're great for boating & water sports but not bikes. They will reduce the appearance of the glare caused by water, oil, or diesel spill on the road, making it more difficult to distinguish those slick spots you want to avoid. 3) Tint colors: gray does not distort color perception; brown increases contrast; light yellow is great at dusk as it filters out the blue-gray colors that are predominant at dusk and are the most difficult for the eye to visualize. A light yellow lens will give you the visibility equivalent to another 30 to 45 minutes of daylight. 4) Most all major sunglass companies make quality lenses and frames - Oakley, Wiley-X, Panoptix, RayBan and others all make quality glasses. It just depends on how they fit YOUR head and what color lens YOU prefer. Trial fitting of the actual glasses is the key to a comfy fit. 5) Beware of cheap Chinese internet bargains. In eyewear, as in everything else, you get what you pay for. Spend enough to protect your eyes against a 60 mph projectile as there is no such thing as an eye transplant! You only get one pair of eyes to last a lifetime.
I agree with everything you said EXCEPT the no polarized part. I do see your point, but disagree. I have had absolutely NO PROBLEM at all seeing water or any other kind of hazard in plenty of time with polarized. Not only do I see it just fine IT DOESN'T blind me like it might without the polarized. Polarized allows me to see the hazards, not be blinded, react, not squint, and in general see everything clearer and better enjoy what is around me. Seeing and enjoying what is around us is a big part of why we ride. Why let glare take that away from us?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiley X Air rage

Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Red.Road.Glide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red.Road.Glide
I'm an Oakley Junky... Tried many brands, keep coming back to my Oakley's. Been riding w/ M Frame 2.0s which have always worked the best for me. I do have a set of Oakley Wind Jackets waiting for me at home and can't wait to try them.

Here is a review done by the Oakley Wind Jackets in the General Harley Chart section.
OK, I have been riding w/my Wind Jackets now for more than 2 weeks. I've put about 1300 miles under them (to include a road trip from SC to Daytona and back).

Oakley has not failed me. These are by far the best riding glasses I've tried to date (and I've tried many).

They fit very, very well. Have a very good field of vision, excellent clarity, and block the wind very well (w/o the gasket, even better w/the gasket). It's very easy to change the lense with their switchlock system and the gasket is easily installed and/or removed. The gasket, to me, seems to be less bulky than the gaskets I've tried on Wiley-X's. They come w/gray and clear lenses, the gaskets, a retention strap, hard case, and a cleaning bag. The lenses can be replaced and/or purchased in different colors.

I would absolutely recommend the Oakley Wind Jackets to anyone.

Last edited by Red.Road.Glide; 03-26-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a pair of these while in Daytona : http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...emCode=CCECH01

I have panoptix, 7 eye and maui jims.

Ill wear the maui's all day long off the bike

The panoptix & 7eyes dont get light enough for night time riding

the Wiley X are almost transparent at night and plenty dark during the day

Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 AM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm hard on glasses so I buy cheap sunglasses with the foam backing and the small bi-focal readers from bikershades.com. I have several pair and since they are cheap no big loss if they break. I also have yellow tint for night riding but they do have a pair that turns light and dark and they are reasonably priced. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a commercial.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

I never spend alot of money on glasses. Just go to any dealer (can get them at Yamaha, Honda, whatever) & get a pair of $20 or $25 ones with foam around the lenses. I have dark ones, and also clear. They work great, if you need to keep the air away from your eyes like I do. I've found the best ones for me, at metric dealers.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

What Geezr glidr said. I get the Max at the meteric dealer. If they scratch, no biggie. Go pick up another pair. I noticed that are sold at my Harley dealer also but that is 45 miles from my house. Honda dealer, 5 miles.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Red.Road.Glide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO you get what you pay for in boots, running shoes, and protective eyewear.

I am sold on Oakleys. They exceed ANSI Z87.1 – 2010 standards and Oakley glassess sold on usstandardissue.com website meet the military's Mil Specs MIL-PRF-31013 for ballistic eyewear. Regular commercial Oakleys are said to meet or exceed ANSI Z87.1 – 2010 (they are not given a ballistic rating on their commercial website - but I am certain they are not different lenses).

I know a lot of people talk about how hard they are on their cheap glasses or how often they lose them. Once I started buying quality eye protection, I learned to hold on to them and take care of them.

I certainly don't want to talk anyone in to buying something they don't want to buy, but I certainly wouldn't ride or deploy w/o Oakleys...

Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM
WetSider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Oakley Straight Jackets flew off on the road to Sturgis when I was taking a look backward and a Semi flew past in the other direction. I've ridden with the same pair of Oakley Eye Jackets (old style) for about 10 yrs since with great results. Obviously, riding glasses are a very personal decision - especially given everyone's face is shaped differently. Eye Jackets are no longer made, but the Flak Jacket with XLJ lens is very close in terms of wind/dust protection for me. Having had lasik about a yr ago, dust is more of a sensitive issue for me than in the past - and my Eye Jackets still do the trick. I may need to look into these Wind Jackets, though....

I've tried PanOptix in the past, but in the hot I always got sweat accumulating around my eyes, which bugged the crapp outta me. Had to toss 'em for that reason alone.