Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Eyewear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Cme2c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a optometrist for 30 years, so basically eyes & glasses are my life. Just a few basic facts about sunwear and motorcycles: 1) make sure you get either polycarbonate or trivex lenses - they are both practically shatterproof. Anything else will shatter when hit with a rock, etc. 2) Do NOT get polarized lenses for riding. They reduce glare off a horizontal reflecting surface. This means they're great for boating & water sports but not bikes. They will reduce the appearance of the glare caused by water, oil, or diesel spill on the road, making it more difficult to distinguish those slick spots you want to avoid. 3) Tint colors: gray does not distort color perception; brown increases contrast; light yellow is great at dusk as it filters out the blue-gray colors that are predominant at dusk and are the most difficult for the eye to visualize. A light yellow lens will give you the visibility equivalent to another 30 to 45 minutes of daylight. 4) Most all major sunglass companies make quality lenses and frames - Oakley, Wiley-X, Panoptix, RayBan and others all make quality glasses. It just depends on how they fit YOUR head and what color lens YOU prefer. Trial fitting of the actual glasses is the key to a comfy fit. 5) Beware of cheap Chinese internet bargains. In eyewear, as in everything else, you get what you pay for. Spend enough to protect your eyes against a 60 mph projectile as there is no such thing as an eye transplant! You only get one pair of eyes to last a lifetime.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM
lrubio
Intermediate

Panoptix/7Eye also come with a strap to keep them secure and the foam seal is removable. After I get where I'm going I remove the foam seal use these as regular sunglasses. They look darn good. My contacts don't dry up when riding but there are tiny air vents that let in just enough air to keep them from fogging up.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM
cajzmere
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cme2c
I've been a optometrist for 30 years, so basically eyes & glasses are my life. Just a few basic facts about sunwear and motorcycles: 1) make sure you get either polycarbonate or trivex lenses - they are both practically shatterproof. Anything else will shatter when hit with a rock, etc. 2) Do NOT get polarized lenses for riding. They reduce glare off a horizontal reflecting surface. This means they're great for boating & water sports but not bikes. They will reduce the appearance of the glare caused by water, oil, or diesel spill on the road, making it more difficult to distinguish those slick spots you want to avoid. 3) Tint colors: gray does not distort color perception; brown increases contrast; light yellow is great at dusk as it filters out the blue-gray colors that are predominant at dusk and are the most difficult for the eye to visualize. A light yellow lens will give you the visibility equivalent to another 30 to 45 minutes of daylight. 4) Most all major sunglass companies make quality lenses and frames - Oakley, Wiley-X, Panoptix, RayBan and others all make quality glasses. It just depends on how they fit YOUR head and what color lens YOU prefer. Trial fitting of the actual glasses is the key to a comfy fit. 5) Beware of cheap Chinese internet bargains. In eyewear, as in everything else, you get what you pay for. Spend enough to protect your eyes against a 60 mph projectile as there is no such thing as an eye transplant! You only get one pair of eyes to last a lifetime.
What he said! (Well thought out Doc!)....and in my state (NY) the law actually states you need ANSI Z-87 standard protective eyewear. So my Raybans don't really count, but I've never had a cop ask to see the stamp either. Z-87 frames are designed so that the lens will go forward, away from the eye if heavily impacted. Wiley X covers that. Many others don't.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM
nitrohound
Tourer

Don't give a tarts asset, buy what I like going 4 Oakley wind jacket st half price with help from s buddy because I'm no hero.....1/2 price. Who dat bitchin bout lectricity? Get hot union bros! By the way, am I a prospect yet? If not I could but my way in....gmhound

Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got Wiley-X prescription that auto adjust from dark to light so I can wear them at night and see.

These were a few $ but worth it. They do block peripheral vision which I do not like.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hougz79
I vote Oakley all day long. Their new Wind Jacket is designed specifically for motorcycles. Super easy to change lenses, comes with clear and grey, detachable eye cup, and detachable head strap. When stripped down they are the same as Split Jackets.

For those in the military or law enforcement check out www.usstandardissue.com and get them for a HEFTY discount.
Thanks for the info.
Just order a pair of Wind Jacket that comes with clear lense!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Liquid Gaskets, can't break em, stay put and comfortable

http://www.liquidpolarized.com/sunglasses.html

Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
HalfFast
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear Maui Jim prescription sunglasses in the day light and clear safety glasses at night. The Maui Jims are expensive but I don't have to deal with all of the distortion of other sun glasses.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfFast
I wear Maui Jim prescription sunglasses in the day light and clear safety glasses at night. The Maui Jims are expensive but I don't have to deal with all of the distortion of other sun glasses.
Where did you get your maui jim prescription glasses from? what style did you get?

Old 03-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by flashracer
Where did you get your maui jim prescription glasses from? what style did you get?
I had a pair of prescription Maui Jim's before I got Lasik. Got them through Sunglass Hut. I bet if you check MJ's website you'd find it helpful.

In order for it to be helpful as to what style he (or I) wear you need to know whether we have big heads, small heads, etc. I beleive MJ's website gives complete diminsions on all their sunglasses and even has a search engine that narrows down by face size, color, material, etc.

My face is a bit on the small side and I can't say enough great things about my MJ Stingrays.

Quick Reply: Best Eyewear?