Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Eyewear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:24 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wylie-X... the foam seals are easily removed once you get to your destination.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Oakley Wind Jackets. They work great. I personally dont even need to use the foam. Quick change lenses are a big plus.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Demolitionman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually wear Oakley Gascans that I have had for years. I also usually wear a 1/2 helmet though. One day I decided to ride without a helmet, and we wound out the bike.....well my glasses started sliding off my face and eventually flew off my head. As luck would have it I grabbed them while in midair which I doubt I would ever be able to do again. Now I only wear them if I am just milling around, or wear a helmet. Otherwise I wear a cheaper pair of HD's with the cups around the eyes. They do a great job of holding onto my head and also sealing out wind. I just do no wear them much b/c of how tightly they fit to the side of my head. I will look into the Oakley Windjackets others have suggested. BTW, I ride a FLHX with the stock windshield, so that may be why my glasses have a problem with flying off.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Demolitionman
I usually wear Oakley Gascans that I have had for years. I also usually wear a 1/2 helmet though. One day I decided to ride without a helmet, and we wound out the bike.....well my glasses started sliding off my face and eventually flew off my head. As luck would have it I grabbed them while in midair which I doubt I would ever be able to do again. Now I only wear them if I am just milling around, or wear a helmet. Otherwise I wear a cheaper pair of HD's with the cups around the eyes. They do a great job of holding onto my head and also sealing out wind. I just do no wear them much b/c of how tightly they fit to the side of my head. I will look into the Oakley Windjackets others have suggested. BTW, I ride a FLHX with the stock windshield, so that may be why my glasses have a problem with flying off.
I swear by Oakleys (have my whole life). I always wondered why they didn't make a true riding model. Well they finally did and live up to my expectations.

I also have Gascans and Gascan S (a smaller version), very comfortable to wear but have no rubber on them to stay on your face. I never wear them riding (too bad you didn't have a video of you catching your glasses as they flew off your face).

I noticed when I had the stock FLHX windshield the wind would hit me right in the bridge of my nose (I'm 6'). This caused any pair of glasses that wasn't banded to my head or wedged really good under a hat or helmet to vibrate like crazy. Switched to a 6.5" KW Flare windshield and now the wind goes over my head.

Other good Oakley riding glasses (but all pale to the Wind Jacket in my opinion) are Flack Jacket XLJ, M Frames (but they are ugly), Radar, Straight Jackets, Split Jackets, Jawbone, and X Metal Juliet (Jawbone and Split Jacket come with "vented" lenses so you would have to buy extra lenses and it gets spendy quick). I really liked my X Metal Juliet for riding because they are much heavier than the "O Matter" (plastic) frame models. The wind affected them less and then stayed in place on my face better.

Oakley Tens have great coverage, but again, no rubber to keep them behind your ears or on your nose.

Hope that helps. This is of course all my opinion.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
b17467
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray-Ban Daddy-O with prescription safety glass and auto tint.
Kicking myself for not getting the progressives so I can read with them.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I have been using Wiley X's also and love them.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 PM
eng23ine
Advanced

I wear the Starlite GS glasses and love them. they are z87 safety glasses and are very light and distortion free. they come in several colors and 2 sizes. Best part is they only cost about $5 per pair. I wear them on and off the bike

P.S. these are the exact same glasses that some HD stores sale marked "boas"

Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Candente
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

7eye Cape, available in PPG Trivex (same ballistic strength as polycarbonate, but, better optics and lighter weight), adjustable, sliding, temples for perfect fit and goggle-tight protection, air shield, removable padding, available in charcoal, tortoise and gloss black, shades ranging from ColorAmp copper or gray, for more realistic color perception, Photochromic 24:7, changing from dark copper to light yellow, for night riding, and Polarized Polar Fusion, with polarization molecularly bonded to the lens (not a film), prescription ready.

Last edited by Candente; 03-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Worked part-time at a Sunglass Hut for six years. I own 3 pair of Oakley's, 4 pair Revo's, 5 Maui Jims, Bolle, Serengetti, Harley, owned others, and tried on countless pairs. Plus I consult for a co-worker that buys Sunglasses for 30-plus sunglass locations, and even buy some myself for one of our stores. Few people think about sunglasses more than I do or know more about sunglasses.

Conclusion: Maui Jim makes the best lenses you can buy. Period! I've been wearing a pair of Maui Jim Stingrays daily for three years on my bike. If something ever happens to them that Maui Jim's amazing warranty and customer service won't cover, I'll buy the same exact pair in a heartbeat.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Red.Road.Glide
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm an Oakley Junky... Tried many brands, keep coming back to my Oakley's. Been riding w/ M Frame 2.0s which have always worked the best for me. I do have a set of Oakley Wind Jackets waiting for me at home and can't wait to try them.

Here is a review done by the Oakley Wind Jackets in the General Harley Chart section.

Last edited by Red.Road.Glide; 03-07-2012 at 02:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Eyewear?