Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you like the fabrication for the mounting and placement of the speakers?
Yes, it is clean and well though out
25.40%
Yes, but takes up a bit too much space
30.95%
No, it takes up too much space
44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

4-6x9" speakers in the hard bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM
onthelo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-6x9" speakers in the hard bags

Hey guys just wanted to share a picture of how I do my 6x9 installs on the HD touring hard bags. This fabrication allows 4-6x9" speakers to be mounted into the hard bags facing the rear wheel, keeping the speakers clean and away from the abuse of the forward facing designs many people go with. Here is the finished bag look. If you like it please let me know, feed back is appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So is the sound transmitted to the wheel.
I just bought a pair of quick detach hard bags for my street bob and I was thinking of speakers cut in for my iPod. How do you keep the water and stones and stuff from hitting the speakers

Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM
onthelo
Road Master

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
So is the sound transmitted to the wheel.
I just bought a pair of quick detach hard bags for my street bob and I was thinking of speakers cut in for my iPod. How do you keep the water and stones and stuff from hitting the speakers
The sound actually travels outward to the rear of the bike and upward toward the passenger. The bass is contained by using the HD hard bag as its enclosure. The sound finds its way out very nicely. The wall of the hard bag facing the rear wheel has the speaker holes cut out and then I build custom mesh grills. The mesh grill is a very fine material not allowing much debry to get in to the cone area of the speaker. I have done about three dozen bikes this past year and we have no had a single issue with debry although it is a motorcycle and it is exposed to the elements so anything is possible as well all SS hardware is used and nylon lock nuts to control the vibrations. An ipod with a nice amp and these 4-6x9's I have done many times and it works extremely well.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
onthelo
Road Master

By taking a look at the pole many of you do not like the space it takes up. If you wanted to have 4-6x9's what would be your recomendation for placement of them in the hard bags or possibly just move down to 2 only ? Thank you, I appreciate the feed back

Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Stonehedge
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great! I have been thinking about this myself.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master

I voted "clean" ......I bet it would sound killer......

Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

onthelo,

What speakers are you using. I listened to quite a few, and to my ears the Pioneer Premiers had the most thump to them. Most of the guys I know also run the Pioneer, except one guy who has JL Audio.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 PM
onthelo
Road Master

Thank you for the compliments and yes these are some of the loudest and crisp setups. I use and recommend the JL Audio C2690 they have the most bass in there class they put the pioneer 5 way to shame as I have replaced quite a few clients bikes with the C2 after they were unhappy with the performance of the Pioneer but still its in the ear of the beholder so to each there own. Just in my experience building these bikes for the past 15 years the JL Audio's have always had the best bass response in all different applications for the motorcycle.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Had mine for 3 years and love them !! Just FINALLY got around to getting them carpeted. Love the look, and makes them sound better.

Not trying to 'hijack' onthelo,...............just sharing some before & after pics.

BEFORE

Name:  6X91.jpg
Views: 8783
Size:  54.8 KB

AFTER

Name:  daylight.jpg
Views: 6808
Size:  47.2 KB

New Deutsch Connectors installed too......

Name:  single.jpg
Views: 4980
Size:  57.0 KB

Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by onthelo
Thank you for the compliments and yes these are some of the loudest and crisp setups. I use and recommend the JL Audio C2690 they have the most bass in there class they put the pioneer 5 way to shame as I have replaced quite a few clients bikes with the C2 after they were unhappy with the performance of the Pioneer
I agree,...the Pioneer 5 way are horrible. Give the Pioneer TS-D6902R a listen. A 2 way speaker that can handle a LOT of power.

Quick Reply: 4-6x9" speakers in the hard bags