Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you like the fabrication for the mounting and placement of the speakers?
Yes, it is clean and well though out
25.40%
Yes, but takes up a bit too much space
30.95%
No, it takes up too much space
44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

4-6x9" speakers in the hard bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for info. When I start cutting holes in my bags I will pm you about fit and finish.
Thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 PM
stetler
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted , CLean and well thought out.

The speakers in 'onthelo" look to be the Alpines and have a shallower basket. The mounts look nice and tight.

I just don't think speakers facing the oppisite direction are really going to sound the best way they could. in those set ups your speakers are really going to have a lot of low mids and base.

I chose to go with 9Lids but I went with the Hertz Big Dog speakers. I had to modify a mounting spacer to allow the woofer ring to not hit.

Plus this set up gives more room in your bags. Granit it's not 4 - 6X9 speakers.........................................

Name:  IMGP1928.jpg
Views: 3627
Size:  3.41 MB
Name:  IMGP1929.jpg
Views: 4111
Size:  3.15 MB
Name:  IMGP1930.jpg
Views: 4541
Size:  3.31 MB

but hey... that's what the Handle bars are for .....right??

Name:  IMG-20120221-00071.jpg
Views: 3333
Size:  549.5 KB
Name:  IMG-20120221-00070.jpg
Views: 3263
Size:  535.3 KB
Name:  IMG-20120221-00072.jpg
Views: 3338
Size:  573.3 KB

Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 PM
onthelo
Road Master

Looks great ! Yeah I have tried those too and they are much better than the 5 way! Great tip!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM
onthelo
Road Master

Originally Posted by stetler
I voted , CLean and well thought out.

The speakers in 'onthelo" look to be the Alpines and have a shallower basket. The mounts look nice and tight.

I just don't think speakers facing the oppisite direction are really going to sound the best way they could. in those set ups your speakers are really going to have a lot of low mids and base.

I chose to go with 9Lids but I went with the Hertz Big Dog speakers. I had to modify a mounting spacer to allow the woofer ring to not hit.

Plus this set up gives more room in your bags. Granit it's not 4 - 6X9 speakers.........................................

but hey... that's what the Handle bars are for .....right??

Looks really good !!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by onthelo
Hey guys just wanted to share a picture of how I do my 6x9 installs on the HD touring hard bags. This fabrication allows 4-6x9" speakers to be mounted into the hard bags facing the rear wheel, keeping the speakers clean and away from the abuse of the forward facing designs many people go with. Here is the finished bag look. If you like it please let me know, feed back is appreciated. Thanks

Disclaimer: I'm not a tech or audio professional. I do question the "abuse" mentioned above. HD sells a $35K+ motorcycle with speakers in the lids, and they're selling a product that is subject to "abuse"? And, offers the system as an accessory?

Putting speakers facing each other doesn't make intuitive sense. I've heard speakers mounted in saddelbags at low speeds and they sound good for those NOT riding the bike, or the bike on the kickstand.

I'll report soon on my HD saddlebag lid speakers with RF 6x8 speakers.

Personally, I'm not willing to give up the saddlebag space of onthelow's installation--it's a Touring bike, after all.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 03-06-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 PM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Disclaimer: I'm not a tech or audio professional. I do question the "abuse" mentioned above. HD sells a $35+ motorcycle with speakers in the lids, and they're selling a product that is subject to "abuse"? And, offers the system as an accessory?

Putting speakers facing each other doesn't make intuitive sense. I've heard speakers mounted in saddelbags at low speeds and they sound good for those NOT riding the bike, or the bike on the kickstand.

I'll report soon on my HD saddlebag lid speakers with RF 6x8 speakers.

Personally, I'm not willing to give up the saddlebag space of onthelow's installation--it's a Touring bike, after all.

Carl
HD saddlebag lid, with RF 6x8, will you have to do any modifications to the lids, I have the setup, without the speakers, just haven't but it on the bike, I thought it called for 5x7, so what will I need to do put 6x8 or something else?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onthelo
Hey guys just wanted to share a picture of how I do my 6x9 installs on the HD touring hard bags. This fabrication allows 4-6x9" speakers to be mounted into the hard bags facing the rear wheel, keeping the speakers clean and away from the abuse of the forward facing designs many people go with. Here is the finished bag look. If you like it please let me know, feed back is appreciated. Thanks

Im considering more speakers, but not quit willing to give up all my bag space. Can you show a pictures of the Amps installed that it would take to push this type of setup

Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
onthelo
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1320str8_liner
Im considering more speakers, but not quit willing to give up all my bag space. Can you show a pictures of the Amps installed that it would take to push this type of setup

Alpine PDX F6 is typically what we use for these systems that have 4-6x9's in the hard bags are 4-6 3/4" speakers in the front or a subwoofer in the tour pack. Here is what the right side hard bag finished looks like when putting the amplifier inside the bag. I can also do a different amplifier and tuck it into the fairing if needed but not many have the power of the F6. It has a 150wx4 true clean power. Its not an amplifier many can afford at its $749.99 retail price tag. It's a very commonly used amplifier here in the bay area, SF because of the power and how loud bike clubs seem to want to play their tunes.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 AM
onthelo
Road Master

Thank you for the feedback guys

Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320str8_liner
HD saddlebag lid, with RF 6x8, will you have to do any modifications to the lids, I have the setup, without the speakers, just haven't but it on the bike, I thought it called for 5x7, so what will I need to do put 6x8 or something else?
You will need to use a Dremel tool to narrow slightly the speaker frames; I check with RF before undertaking this and it doesn't compromise the speakers. You'll also need to drill a couple of new hole in the lids to accommodate the rear screw locations of the RF speakers.

Carl

Quick Reply: 4-6x9" speakers in the hard bags