Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford amp install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Astro
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rockford amp install question

After chasing a problem with my amp and talking to RF I need to connect the remote power lead to the hot lead for the radio.
Does anybody know which lead is the radio hot??

Don

Old 03-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Mortikus
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't run too many on bikes, but I've done a LOT of car audio installs. A remote power turn on for amps, obviously RF included, is a 12V line that turns on when the radio turns on. If you want the amp to turn on whenever the bike turns on you can connect to any 12V acc line in parallel (not recommended).

The remote line needs no current draw, it just looks to see for a potential of 12V so it knows 'ok, now its time to turn on the amp'.

In a car we have a line dedicated, but if it's missing for whatever reason we can splice with the dimmer or light control for the deck (not the 'always on').

For your ride you could splice in with a lightbar switch if you wanted or even various lights that may be more convenient. If you have a deck installed, there may be a 12V line there you'd prefer.

I'm new here, but as I mentioned before, I've done a lot of amp installs... so hope it helps.

Mort

Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 PM
onthelo
Road Master

Yeah do not hook the remote turn on input to the "hot" radio wire it will drain your battery. If you do not have a remote outpur wire on your head unit connect it too the wire that turns on and off with the ignition. Use a test meter for your year bike if your using ths stock head unit.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

since u didn't give model of your bike not sure ,but u may have a aux lighting wire in the fairing,or in the headlight bucket its for the fender tip light.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Astro
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys
I have talked to RF. Remote is currently connected to the aux lead that is in the headlight harness. Since this is instant power the amp is coming on before the radio and causing a pop. RF recommended changing the source of power for the remote turn on.
If not the radio hot lead, where??
Bike is an 07 Ultra.
Don

Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the cigaret lighter on the fairing it only turns on when the ignition switch is on.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

u can use the auxiliary plug under the seat and turn it on and off with the switch on the dash.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:28 PM
onthelo
Road Master

Don use an ignition source found inside the inner fairing.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Copyless
Supporter

I don't know what RF amp you have, but if it is the PBR 300x4 then you don't need the remote wire as long as you are using the high level inputs. Just disconnect the remote wire and it should come on as soon as it senses power on the speaker input.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Copyless
Supporter

Now that I read another thread, I get the info that you didn't give here, so I now know that you are using low level inputs, and with these you would need the remote on wire. There are some here that have the wiring diagram for the radio, but I do not have it, sorry.

Quick Reply: Rockford amp install question