Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford amp install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
Guys
I have talked to RF. Remote is currently connected to the aux lead that is in the headlight harness. Since this is instant power the amp is coming on before the radio and causing a pop. RF recommended changing the source of power for the remote turn on.
If not the radio hot lead, where??
Bike is an 07 Ultra.
Don
Once again all you need is power ground and speaker wires no remote........wire needed..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I246L_8ppFk

Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Astro
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I do need the remote turn on lead!
My HK radio has been modified with RCA output leads therefore you must connect the remote lead.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master

According to RF video posted you don't

Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Astro
Cruiser

In the video they did not use RCA leads to connect to the amp. As I said earlier, I have talked to RF and they tell me I need the remote lead. I would trust they would know. I have also tried disconnecting the remote lead and the amp will not power on without it connected.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TIE IT TO THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER! lol

Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Mortikus
Novice

From what I'm reading you are doing what we've already suggested for auxilliary locations to get power after the bike is turned on... but as you said the amp is before the stereo... if the amp is racing the deck and turning on faster no matter which source, I'd recommend using a switch somewhere to turn the amp on 'after' you're sure the deck is on to avoid the pop. Do you have an alternate lighting configuration extra headlights or something you could tie it to?

Mort

Old 03-06-2012, 01:33 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onthelo
Yeah do not hook the remote turn on input to the "hot" radio wire it will drain your battery. If you do not have a remote outpur wire on your head unit connect it too the wire that turns on and off with the ignition. Use a test meter for your year bike if your using ths stock head unit.
and please don't ask me how i know... battery is charging now to continue next week end

Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Astro
Cruiser

I'm curious. How is connecting the amp to the radio hot lead draining the battery?
Is the radio hot lead not switched off with ignition?

Old 03-07-2012, 03:56 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm curious. How is connecting the amp to the radio hot lead draining the battery?
i am too. So i have two possible answers of what happen. I connect my amp to "remote" of HU which is for steering wheel (discover after) and this wire always stay on or after some times playing with amp and HU (problems with my Pioneer not working) drained the battery. I didn't use my bike this first days of december, my battery was sure not really in full health...

For now, i can't finish it because my battery is still dead after 4 days of charging. Tomorrow i will get a car battery to finish the install and let mine to buddy who have solutions to wake her up.

To finish, i connected my new Kenwood with RCA and antenna/amp wire to control amp. Hope this will work, i got nice results with my tryings las week-end

Old 03-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Mortikus
Novice

It does, what I think the idea is normally you don't want the amp on, pulling current, when you aren't listening to music. If it's connected to the hot lead, as soon as you turn on the bike/car, the amp turns on. The normal method is you connect it to something else (hence the dimmer/light line) that turns on 'when' you turn on the stereo deck itself, so the amp isn't just sitting there on all the time. Saves amp life by not sitting on all the time, and draws 'minimal' current because it's not jamming tunes. This may sound more common in a car situation because you may ride around a LOT and not have the stereo on, but the amp is on the whole time.

Also depending on how properly someone has setup their amplifier power draw on a bike vs. their stator/alternator output... cars obviously have alternators where a lot of bikes don't (most).

Also, you mentioned wanting the amp to turn on 'after' the deck so you wouldn't receive some sort of pop sound... well you'd be hard pressed to get that to work if the amp is connected to the hot lead for remote turn on.

Mort

Quick Reply: Rockford amp install question